Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2017, 05:25 PM

18,813 posts, read 27,261,264 times

Advertisements

Why not to go to junk yard and simply find a matching insert? Amount of time and effort already spent onto this plus more coming? Are those that expensive to buy online?
Otherwise, it's a truck. First thing I did when I got mine, was to buy rubber mats with high boarder, to cover carpeting. It's a truck. S***t gets spilled all over everywhere always. Dirt. What not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2017, 08:01 PM

9,402 posts, read 4,231,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
NO! Cleaning parts with brake cleaner because it is a solvent is like using dynamite sticks for tent pegs because they are mostly wood.
Brake cleaners and flames or hot metal can be fatal.
Brake Cleaner Spray + Fire = DEATH! | GMTNation
The OP needs to clean carpet, not the exhaust system. I've never owned a car with carpet that emitted flames or was made of hot metal.

I learned the brake cleaner trick while working at an auto repair shop years ago. I've literally used it dozens of times to remove grease/oil from upholstery and I lived to tell about. Checking for color fastness before getting carried away is must, though.

Old 07-05-2017, 10:49 AM

30,703 posts, read 79,422,824 times
Well so far, I tried Down and several consecutive pans of really hot water. Smell is reduced but not gone. I still need to suck more of the water out and probably rinse a few times, then I will try something else.

The carpet insert I am just going to toss and replace. It still smells horribly.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:07 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,886,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
NO! Cleaning parts with brake cleaner because it is a solvent is like using dynamite sticks for tent pegs because they are mostly wood.
Brake cleaners and flames or hot metal can be fatal.
Brake Cleaner Spray + Fire = DEATH! | GMTNation
I only use water based brake cleaner. No need to worry about any fires and such.

CRC Brakleen product. Look for it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive