Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2017, 01:05 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,820,372 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Similar symptoms of a clutch getting weak
Yeah, I did read something about that online. But replacing a compressor clutch is not cheap, given the labor to put it in.

I guess at this point, I'm looking to spend a minimal amount (2 cans of refrigerant, about $50/$60) and try a DIY, as long as it wouldn't cause damage.

The indie shop and the dealer both said that it could be any number of things and they could run diagnostics, but both recommended replacing the entire compressor assembly and not just one part, since in their experience replacing a part was a lot of labor cost and didn't always fix it or last that long. They said to just replace the compressor, if that's what I decide to do. Of course, it's more $$ for them, but I do trust the advice from the indie shop (certainly more the the dealer).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:
No not really. The way they design the DIY kits it's pretty much fool proof. You may put a little too much refrigerant in but that won't really hurt it.

You'll know right away if the system is low. The compressor will start to cycle, quickly at first then should taper off as more refrigerant gets in the system.
That's good advice and info. Thanks.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:29 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Yeah, I did read something about that online. But replacing a compressor clutch is not cheap, given the labor to put it in.

I guess at this point, I'm looking to spend a minimal amount (2 cans of refrigerant, about $50/$60) and try a DIY, as long as it wouldn't cause damage.

The indie shop and the dealer both said that it could be any number of things and they could run diagnostics, but both recommended replacing the entire compressor assembly and not just one part, since in their experience replacing a part was a lot of labor cost and didn't always fix it or last that long. They said to just replace the compressor, if that's what I decide to do. Of course, it's more $$ for them, but I do trust the advice from the indie shop (certainly more the the dealer).
You can shim a clutch, I had to do that on my car as the clutch started to wear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hqp9IJ2ivl4

I replaced my wife's compressor and accumulator for around $150 including recharging it.

Old 07-04-2017, 02:56 PM

505 posts, read 847,665 times
Quote:
No not really. The way they design the DIY kits it's pretty much fool proof. You may put a little too much refrigerant in but that won't really hurt it.
Yes, a little too much refrigerant can cause problems. R134a systems aren't tolerant of overcharging.

Those DIY kits have crappy gauges but if you're careful, try that first versus slapping on a compressor, which probably isn't bad anyway (big ticket repair item for the shop). Don't follow the pressure chart that comes with the kit. You'll end up overcharging like crazy, especially on a Honda. On an 85F+ day, these cars like to stay around 30-35 PSI on the low side.

Add a little bit of refrigerant in at a time, listen to the compressor (should constantly run when the blower's on high on a hot day), make sure the cooling fans run, and watch the vent temps with a thermometer. On a 85+ day, the vents should get down to the low 40s.

Old 07-04-2017, 03:17 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Yes, a little too much refrigerant can cause problems. R134a systems aren't tolerant of overcharging..
No, it won't cause any problems. Slightly reduced cooling maybe.

Old 07-04-2017, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Yes, a little too much refrigerant can cause problems. R134a systems aren't tolerant of overcharging.

Those DIY kits have crappy gauges but if you're careful, try that first versus slapping on a compressor, which probably isn't bad anyway (big ticket repair item for the shop). Don't follow the pressure chart that comes with the kit. You'll end up overcharging like crazy, especially on a Honda. On an 85F+ day, these cars like to stay around 30-35 PSI on the low side.

Add a little bit of refrigerant in at a time, listen to the compressor (should constantly run when the blower's on high on a hot day), make sure the cooling fans run, and watch the vent temps with a thermometer. On a 85+ day, the vents should get down to the low 40s.
Great advice! Thanks!

Old 07-04-2017, 06:22 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,594,911 times
The fittings on auto-AC are, thankfully, wrench-tightened. So, I would try the DIY and tighten every fitting on the AC-system.

Receiver-drier would be a good idea, but technically and legally you would need to get the system evacuated to do that. Now if you put a guage on your system and there is no pressure, no refrigerant should come out when you open it up.

Old 07-04-2017, 07:11 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,152,073 times
Don't make my mistake, just do the evac and recharge, off of the machine they use. You ac line pressure will tell the mechanic what is wrong.

I would stay away from dealership , look for a shop that only does ac, with that grey machine.

I just went in circle of mis information with 2 mechanics, and was looking at changing parts, but that one guy said, "put it through the machine, no second guessing" viola,ice cold ac.

If there is a major part like a compressor, buy the part on eBay, have indie shop install, but will need to vacuum and recharge again.

Those diy can fills is a waste if you need to vacuum the lines.

YouTube has videos for everything nowadays, do a search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive