Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2017, 09:03 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times

Advertisements

Take a look here:

https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/invent...ting=175705139

It's an 06 Ram with just 138K miles selling for $6000, and yet it' been sitting there for 47 days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2017, 09:17 AM

11,758 posts, read 14,644,267 times
It's hard to be sure, but the ripped upholstery and the lack of any pictures of the bed make me wonder if it's been used so hard that the depreciation is way more than the mileage. It also looks as though there may be rust right over the two rear wheel wells, although it's hard to tell from the photos.

Still, if you're an easy drive it may be worth a visit and a pre-purchase inspection.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:19 AM

5,251 posts, read 14,236,028 times
Could be any number of reasons, scratches, dents, dings, could be an ex smokers car. Clear title really means nothing, could have unreported damage..

Old 07-05-2017, 09:24 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,520,307 times
Do you know it hasn't been sold for sure? Maybe they left the posting up on accident after it sold?

Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Several reasons:

Car-gurus "list" pricing tends to be high over real market pricing. I do not know what they use, but it is probably average of l dealer asking prices, not private party prices. Some dealers ask absurd prices in the hopes of negotiating to a price that is just ridiculous. This skews the average.

A Pre-fiat RAM with 138,000 miles is going to be a fix something daily vehicle with a substantial likelihood of major repairs like transmission. Being a 4x4 there are even more things to fail and higher expense for some repairs. Insurance costs more too. How many people in New Jersey actually need a 4x4? The really old RAMS were pretty decent from my experience (like 1980s ish) however I would certainly not consider anything from 2000 - 2008 with high mileage at any price (possibly a bit earlier than 2000). Even post Fiat, they are going to be somewhat more prone to minor little things breaking and stupid costly design issues becoming a problem, than most other makes. To me, the lower price and awesome layout, storage, features etc are worth the hassle, but not if it is pre-fiat. They just squeezed their suppliers too hard, harder than other makers, and too many little parts are just chintzy, that got somewhat better post Fiat, but not entirely fixed.

Dodge/RAM has terrible resale for the reasons set out above. However many people think "It Cost $XXXX new, so I should be able to get $YYY for it." However they fail to account for the fact Dodge trucks lose value when used much faster than other brands. Their reputation is even worse than the reality of their quality problems.

I bought a used F-150 years ago that was dirt cheap because it had been used for an asphalt business. The interoior carpeting have black ick all over it int he front seats, the bed was coated with hard chunks of asphalt and oil. I eventually got most of it out with a powerwasher, but it took a lot of work. There were a couple of chunks of concrete I could nto get out, so I just ignored them. The rear shocks were shot and the brakes were a mess probably form towing a heavy asphalt machine. The truck also smelled like Asphalt oil. That never came out, but it was not overpowering and I got used to it. It also had various dents and dings you would expect in a truck used for a paving business. It was just a working truck for me anyway. However it was less than 50% of "market" and was for sale for a very long time when I cam along. I low balled and they accepted a price very near my offer. It was about 30% of "market"

Last edited by Coldjensens; 07-05-2017 at 09:39 AM..

Old 07-05-2017, 09:29 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,467,077 times
looks like a no name shady dealer who probably either embeds thousands of dollars in fees, 25% financing, or some other scam

Old 07-05-2017, 09:37 AM

3,177 posts, read 6,819,414 times
The above post from Coldjensens pretty much nails it regarding the value (or lack thereof) of that particular vehicle.

4x4 trucks are popular in the PA/NJ area however. Winters are generally tough, I went through over 40 of them up there. Personally, I wouldn't live there without a 4x4. That's a somewhat rural part of NJ, so there's definitely a legit need for a 4x4 outside of just winter use.

Old 07-05-2017, 09:41 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HWTechGuy View Post
The above post from Coldjensens pretty much nails it regarding the value (or lack thereof) of that particular vehicle.

4x4 trucks are popular in the PA/NJ area however. Winters are generally tough, I went through over 40 of them up there. Personally, I wouldn't live there without a 4x4. That's a somewhat rural part of NJ, so there's definitely a legit need for a 4x4 outside of just winter use.
When I think New Jersey, I think of Newark. That is the only part where I have spent substantial time. Other parts I saw were just as urban. There must be rural areas I have not seen.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,659,943 times
The 06 Ram doesn't hold any value so that could be a potential reason. Failing transmissions, horrid fuel mileage, cheap interior that cracks, blistering paint, etc..... are all things that the Ram of that era is known for. Reliability is pretty low, so resale is hurt by it.

Even in the newer Rams (post-Fiat) there are quality issues. Their resale values are still really low in comparison to a Ford or GM because of their reputation. They still suffer from weak transmissions and cheap plastic amongst other things. Fiat didn't help that.

The Ram with a Cummins diesel in it however, holds its resale value despite the Ram flaws that go along with it. You can still find 4-5 year old used ones going for $40k+ (I own one) but that is solely because of the engine.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:09 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Take a look here:

It's an 06 Ram with just 138K miles selling for $6000, and yet it' been sitting there for 47 days.
Maybe a rebuilt title?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive