Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2017, 09:44 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I hate to tell you but more and more auto makers are shifting to a cvt transmission for better mileage to meet cafe standards.

Like It Or Not, More CVTs Coming From Automakers
That article was from 2012. What I see the past couple of years of more gears being added to conventional automatics, 8 and 9 speeds is common now (I don't particularly care for those other). Hyundai is choosing to go the DCT route.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2017, 09:53 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,351,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Camry is still the best selling mid sized sedan but the market is moving away from those vehicles. All vehicles in that segment have declining sales.
It comes back to what I've wondered for a long time...whats the point of a sedan anymore?

If you dont need something big like an SUV, CUVs have more versatility, clearance, and room (and you can still get good mpg and handling and old folk can get in and out easily).
If you want something small, efficient, and easy to park, you can get a number of hatchbacks and hybrids/electrics. If you want sporty, there are plenty of dedicated sport coupes and convertibles.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:05 AM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
That article was from 2012. What I see the past couple of years of more gears being added to conventional automatics, 8 and 9 speeds is common now (I don't particularly care for those other). Hyundai is choosing to go the DCT route.
http://www.autonews.com/article/2016...cvts-exec-says

Here yo go.

Old 07-08-2017, 10:34 AM

2,619 posts, read 2,335,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The "people" are the internet drivers. Talk to someone who actually owns one. We have an Altima in the family and it has all the get up and go you want. I was the one who stepped on the throttle, by the way.
No one is telling you to hate your Altima or trade it in. There are pros and cons to every single car on the market. This just happens to be a con that many take into consideration when buying a Nissan. And on the flipside, many car buyers have no idea about CVTs.

And to answer your question, "Why are there so many Nissans on the road then?" Simple, the common buyer is not versed in research and education, which you clearly demonstrated in this thread by not taking the time to read the article I posted, which would take you 10 minutes. Instead you are sold packages and options by the manufacturer and dealership. while ignoring consumer reliability and performance reports. You don't have to own a car to use research and test driving to make an informed decision. I HAVE test driven the Altima and Rogue that Nissan offers. Sadly though, many are like you and choose to just ignore certain issues that can happen with cars.

It would behoove you to read the article I posted that mentions Altima years with more susceptibility to CVT problems such as failure at low mileage and determine if it's something you should carefully watch. Then again, it seems you may not care.

Nissan Continously Variable Transmission (CVT) Problems

Old 07-08-2017, 12:34 PM

6,413 posts, read 4,908,175 times
I have heard the CVT has problems after it has a lot of mileage on it.

Car Reliability Is Hurt By Some New Technologies - Consumer Reports

Old 07-08-2017, 01:05 PM

2,528 posts, read 2,777,621 times
Thanks to all who have addressed my question . . . too many of you to quote. I'm stuck in analysis paralysis at the moment and now have further food for thought. I've never had a CVT although my ex did have a Murano. I don't remember being particularly bothered by the lack of apparent shifting and other issues but then I wasn't the driver. My biggest concern is reliability as I'm not too much of a car aficionado - it needs to do its job consistently and reliably and look reasonably attractive while doing it. Oh, and have plenty of room for dog crates in the back. Back to the drawing board!

Old 07-08-2017, 03:47 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,268,500 times
Quote:
The fact that they have to program the CVT to simulate gear changes goes to show that most people don't like them. Those simulated gear changes don't fool me, it does NOT feel the same. If you're going to have fake gear changes you might as well have a real automatic transmission IMO.
The post you are responding to didn't say anything about "simulated" shifts. Matter of fact, the poster before it said there are NO shift points. You may or may not like it but nobody is "programming" shifts into CVT.

Old 07-08-2017, 05:37 PM

6,143 posts, read 5,252,935 times
The Rogue is noisy (exacerbated by CVT drone) and doesn't ride particularly well.
It's fine for what it is... something to pick up at the Hertz counter.

Old 07-08-2017, 06:41 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,596,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
The post you are responding to didn't say anything about "simulated" shifts. Matter of fact, the poster before it said there are NO shift points. You may or may not like it but nobody is "programming" shifts into CVT.
Yes, many of them have fake shifts now. And if you turn that feature off, it just shoots up to redline and stays there. Very annoying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwhC43dleg

Old 07-08-2017, 06:50 PM

4,011 posts, read 4,251,153 times
Quote:
Yes, many of them have fake shifts now. And if you turn that feature off, it just shoots up to redline and stays there. Very annoying.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=iFwhC43dleg
Exactly.

And I believe Honda is going one step worse in 2018. CVT *and* a tweaky 2.0 liter turbo. Ugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive