Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 02:59 PM

3,177 posts, read 6,822,612 times

Advertisements

I've been all about Michelin for the last several years, but I am seriously looking at the Pirelli P7 Cinturato when it's time to replace the Bridgestones on my Toyota.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 03:12 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,733,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffer E38 View Post
Firestone and Bridgestone are the same company. Goodyear is not affiliated with Firestone.
Add BF Goodrich to the confusion

Bridgestone (Japanese) purchased Firestone
BF Goodrich (US) purchased by Michelin
Goodyear still US

All from Wiki...

They should all just get together and call themselves BF GoodFireStone

Old 07-12-2017, 03:34 PM

9,694 posts, read 7,389,775 times
my biggest problem with tires, I bought some michlan for my toyota truck, wanted some good tire that last and good on wet roads, oh the tires are great and still like new, but cant get no service because they are nine years old, tire store wont rotate or add air because they are nine years old, got to buy four new tires instead of couple pounds of air.

I actually have to get walmart to rotate because non of the local tires stores will touch them.

Old 07-12-2017, 03:40 PM

2,309 posts, read 6,102,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post
my biggest problem with tires, I bought some michlan for my toyota truck, wanted some good tire that last and good on wet roads, oh the tires are great and still like new, but cant get no service because they are nine years old, tire store wont rotate or add air because they are nine years old, got to buy four new tires instead of couple pounds of air.

I actually have to get walmart to rotate because non of the local tires stores will touch them.
That's kind of bizarre. I've never seen a tire shop actually check the DOM before touching a tire. If the tire has sidewall cracks and stuff like that, I can see them refusing to service a tire, but age isn't a limiting factor.

BTW, when I'm looking for a good high mileage tire I look no further than Michelin.

Old 07-12-2017, 10:07 PM

44,627 posts, read 61,603,272 times
I have 2 Buick Park Avenues with Goodyear Assurance tires, never had a problem, very comfortable riding tires.

Old 07-12-2017, 11:04 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbagg View Post

Tires on my wife's car were 19 years old before one developed a slow leak that the tire dealer wouldn't touch because of age. The tires still looked pretty good. Checking started to show a year or so before that, and they still had most of their rubber left. The thing is, her car never leaves town. She drives it 2 miles to work, 2 miles back home about 4 days per week -- never over 35 mph. So I wasn't concerned about blow-outs. She bought the car (a '96) when it was a year old and had 40K miles on it, and I'm guessing the dealer installed new tires to sell it, because at 65K miles on the OD the tires still showed very little wear.

But then my car had to be in the shop for a couple weeks last year, so I bought the old crate a new set of tires and drove it rather than spending the same amount on a rental.

I'm surprised that Walmart will touch your tires. I had Walmart mount a tire for me a couple weeks ago because they're apparently the only place in our town that works on tires on Sunday. I'd had a flat the night before and must have drove on it awhile before noticing it, so it wasn't repairable. The mates to it are worn out, so I didn't want to just replace the one. So I took an "extra" tire that I'd removed from the car last fall but saved for just such a time.

They mounted it, but because this one was an all-weather tire and the others were snow tires, AND because this one was a step down in the speed rating, they couldn't install it on the car. Instead, they mounted it, rolled it outside the door and gave me a floor jack and tire wrench so I could install it.

Hey, I appreciated it. That's better than a, "no, we can't help you." And to reward them for the Sunday help, I ordered a new set of Pirellis from Walmart today.

Old 07-13-2017, 06:37 AM

4,948 posts, read 3,051,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Comfortreds? I had the opposite experience, one of the quietest tires ive bought.
Yep, assurance comfort tread touring.
Since nobody else has the noise issue, I'll assume it's the car.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive