Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2017, 01:19 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times

Advertisements

Daughter was hit by a truck.

She will have about $4000 from insurance after paying the loan off and she is willing able to borrow $2000 - $3000 more.

She had a Fiesta and will no consider another one (terrible transmission).

So far she is looking at a 2015 Fusion and an Iforgetwhatyear Mitsubishi Mirage which she said is really cute.

I love the Fusion and it appears form reviews and people who have them it is a decent car. Best looking widely produced car out there right now IMO. Drive trains have always been uninspiring, but it looks nice and functions well for basics.

Any comments on these two cars or suggestions she might want to look at?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2017, 01:32 PM

16,709 posts, read 19,412,920 times
I loved my Ford Fusion. It had a lot of power for its size and was very roomy.

The Mirage is tiny.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:36 PM

797 posts, read 752,469 times
Fusion over the mirage.
Look up safety scores on any considered vehicles.
Glad shes ok.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:37 PM

9,130 posts, read 20,012,483 times
The Mirage will feel like a tin can next to the Fusion. Among those two, I would go Fusion if it is in reasonable condition.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:48 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,712 posts, read 58,054,000 times
Mirage = headache (for you and for her) Mitsu's break (a lot)

Fusion might be the deal. Focus 'Sport' model is not too bad and I am able to get 42 - 44 MPG on road trips (in rental cars).

Old 07-12-2017, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Checkered24 View Post
The Mirage will feel like a tin can next to the Fusion. Among those two, I would go Fusion if it is in reasonable condition.
Fusion is 8,000 miles. Should be in good shape. I have not seen it.

I am glad she is ok too. A car hauler semi did not see her, knocked her into the center divider, she bounced off hit the truck then bounced back and hit the divider a second time. She was lucky. Frankly I was surprised to see how well the little Fiesta held up given it was 65 MPH and that is a really cheap car. Too bad the transmission is so awful (she just got notice of a class action settlement over the transmission).

Given the scare we had, I would prefer her in the bigger fusion. However MPG and "cute" are pretty important to her. Hopefully I and her brother can push her towards the fusion, or something else. (Her brother took a different approach - told her the Mitsubishi is made of the bones of dead babies and kittens and if she bought one, she would be responsible for them - not sure that is going to work, but it was creative).

I am not really sure what else is out there in the lower end boring car market. I do not look at those much. Her sister has a spark (which was just totaled by hail, but she is buying it back from the insurance company because she likes it and it is still mechanically fine). I recommended the spoark after some research but she was buying new and gets the GM level 8 (I think that is what is is called) employee discount). But I think there are better options out there for used cars.

I know to stay away form the Nissan Versa and Toyota Yaris, but not much about other lower end cars. Fusion is a step u p above low end. What competes with it? Cruze? Scion? No idea.

Old 07-12-2017, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Fusion is a step u p above low end. What competes with it? Cruze? Scion? No idea.
The Honda Accord is a direct competitor, and you can't get a better car for the money than that.

Old 07-12-2017, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by convextech View Post
The Honda Accord is a direct competitor, and you can't get a better car for the money than that.
Do accords still come with a huge reputation premium?

My son wanted a Honda something, but he would have to drop back 4 year or more older than a comparable American branded car. They did have somewhat better reliability, but not that much better (now I don't think that is any difference). Maybe that has changed since most newer American branded cars are equally Reliable.

Thanks though that is a good idea, I will suggest she look at them. Too bad they aren't "cute"

Old 07-12-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Mirage = headache (for you and for her) Mitsu's break (a lot)

Fusion might be the deal. Focus 'Sport' model is not too bad and I am able to get 42 - 44 MPG on road trips (in rental cars).
She said she would only consider a fusion form Ford. Not sure why. Does focus have the same awful transmission as Fiesta?

Old 07-12-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Do accords still come with a huge reputation premium?
Too bad they aren't "cute"
I will admit they are more expensive, and I did buy mine used, but my 2010 is at almost 200,000 miles right now and the only thing I've had to replace is the rack-and-pinion assembly.

Mine is a 4-door sedan and they aren't cute, but the 2-doors are sporty-looking (to me, anyway).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive