Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 01:13 PM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times

Advertisements

If you take in account reliability, diversity, fun to drive, technological and cost it would seem to me like Honda would be considered the best automaker. Toyota's seem too boring, Mazda's not enough diversity, BMW are too expensive etc.

Plus it seems like all of their models sell very well. Not always the top in sales within their class but usually top 3 or 4. Anyone agree?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2017, 01:48 PM

1,279 posts, read 1,723,038 times
"Best" is way too subjective, especially if you consider the five criteria you listed. No one leads the league in all of them.

I might list Honda near the top as far as reliability and (I'll add in) fuel economy, but that's about it. They're nowhere near the most fun to drive, other companies have them beat on technology, and they're almost never the best on purchase price. And how are you defining "diversity" here?

Old 07-13-2017, 01:56 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
I think Honda peaked in the early 2000s and have been declining on reliability and fun to drive-ness ever since.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
"Best" is way too subjective, especially if you consider the five criteria you listed. No one leads the league in all of them.

I might list Honda near the top as far as reliability and (I'll add in) fuel economy, but that's about it. They're nowhere near the most fun to drive, other companies have them beat on technology, and they're almost never the best on purchase price. And how are you defining "diversity" here?
Diverse lineup. Cars, Suv's, truck, hatchbacks, coupes, minivan etc. A lot of car companies dont have coupes or minivans.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I think Honda peaked in the early 2000s and have been declining on reliability and fun to drive-ness ever since.
I'm hearing that the new Civics are fun to drive.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:05 PM

134 posts, read 472,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I agree, but in Honda's defense everyone's fun to driveness went down since 2000s.

Honda never having offered a V8 in their consumer line up takes them down a notch to me.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:16 PM

17,302 posts, read 12,245,675 times
Yeah, no more double wishbone suspensions. No more VTEC engines you rev to 9k. No more S2000. Reliability that has fallen to average. Make Honda Honda Again.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:19 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,148,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ma5cmpb View Post
If you take in account reliability, diversity, fun to drive, technological and cost it would seem to me like Honda would be considered the best automaker. Toyota's seem too boring, Mazda's not enough diversity, BMW are too expensive etc.

Plus it seems like all of their models sell very well. Not always the top in sales within their class but usually top 3 or 4. Anyone agree?
Of course, depends how you define "best." As former President Clinton said, "depends what your definition of 'is' is."

My "best" motorcycle was a Honda, ridden 50K miles and had at least that left in it. They are magnificent in construction, usually a measurable cut above the others in terms of fit and finish. Not always, but often enough. They make design mistakes, but they usually aren't catastrophic: my Honda tossed cam chain tensioners every 20K miles or so, fixed in under 30 min with a thirty dollar replacement (which would promptly quiet the engine down, no more cam chain slap).

Other than that dumb stuff, my Blackbird (CBR1100XX) was an engineering marvel, period end of story.

That said, of the very many bikes I've owned, it was not the 'best'. That honor goes to my raucous and utterly track-competent GSX-R750 by none other than Suzuki Motors. Second place, to a Ducati Multistrada (I'm now on my second, traded in the first) that was hell bent for leather cruising at 110mph in northern New Mexico, yet could go offroad or pretend to be a real sportbike with flick of the electronics.

Neither of those two was equal to Honda's quality or smoothness. Either had more character in one wheel than the Honda's whole chassis.

I'm now on my third Toyota in 32 years of driving, one Supra and two Tacomas. The Supra was the opposite of "boring," but the Tacomas are (or were, until I replaced the brakes and added a supercharger to the second).

If by "best" you mean highest long term quality, it could be true that Honda, Acura are at or near the top I don't know. Toyota is in the running, for sure. To me "best" is a combination of interesting driving experience AND quality.

For just the former, any of my current or former Porsches is probably "best". Combination of the two, nuh uh.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:22 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Technology and fun to drive isn't what I'd use to describe Honda.
GM is far more diverse. Honda's technology is always a couple years behind everybody else, and Mazda is far more fun to drive as an overall brand.

Old 07-13-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Technology and fun to drive isn't what I'd use to describe Honda.
GM is far more diverse. Honda's technology is always a couple years behind everybody else, and Mazda is far more fun to drive as an overall brand.
Wasn't Honda one of the first automakers to come out with safety tech like lane keep assist etc.? GM may be more diverse but it seems like all of Honda's models get good reviews from the consumer and from the press.

Mazda seems fine but they dont have a lot of sales and they need more of a lineup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive