Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2017, 09:59 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,726,444 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katana49 View Post
Luxury is defined by what the majority cannot have.
Luxury cars these days can be leased for cheap so a good majority have them. Here in SoCal you find BMWs and Lexuses a dime a dozen so they are no longer unique. So does this mean they are no longer luxury items?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-14-2017, 10:13 AM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
The entry level BMWs and most Lexus I would not consider luxury at all.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:19 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,726,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
you see a lot of these yuppies driving a base BMW 328i and acting like they are some part of the super elite because they are driving a Beamer. In reality such a car has less luxury than a fully optioned out Accord.

I agree, I would not consider that luxury at all but somehow the perception is there because of the badge.

So, the question is, would someone take a fully optioned out Accord V6 or a bare bones BMW 328i with no options?

Old 07-14-2017, 10:24 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,180,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
Luxury cars these days can be leased for cheap so a good majority have them. Here in SoCal you find BMWs and Lexuses a dime a dozen so they are no longer unique. So does this mean they are no longer luxury items?
Most of the Lexus lineup doesn't count as luxury to me, only their highest trim level models would, or their specialty cars, like the LFA or LC and LX (and those last two are iffy, as they start under $100k.)

As far as BMW goes, same thing. A 2 or 3 series is not luxurious, no matter what model you have. 5 series... perhaps, the M5 comes to mind. 7 series and the upcoming 8 series, sure.

It's cheap to lease a lower model BMW, Lexus, etc. The higher end models are still pretty expensive to lease and therefore only driven by a minority. I get Porsche emails with their lease deals all the time, they're not cheap. Even leasing a base 2017 Boxster will cost you $6k upfront, and $750 a month for 3 years. The price goes up dramatically for a 911 or Cayenne or Panamera. The truly high end cars are not available for lease either, and for the few that are, you're talking $3k or more per month, no idea how much you'd have to pay upfront either.

Not very accessible, considering Edmunds says the average monthly car or lease payment is $480.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:26 AM

3,754 posts, read 4,180,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
you see a lot of these yuppies driving a base BMW 328i and acting like they are some part of the super elite because they are driving a Beamer. In reality such a car has less luxury than a fully optioned out Accord.

I agree, I would not consider that luxury at all but somehow the perception is there because of the badge.

So, the question is, would someone take a fully optioned out Accord V6 or a bare bones BMW 328i with no options?

They are a luxury brand, but that doesn't mean all products they offer meet a definition of luxury. As far as your question goes, I wouldn't drive either.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:32 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,017,783 times
I for one no longer let brand names influence my perception of 'luxury'. Luxury to me is driven by features and performance. Some BMWs do not meet those criteria, a few Hyundais do.

Old 07-14-2017, 10:39 AM

17,153 posts, read 11,993,240 times
BMW isn't a luxury brand. Their most popular cars in germany are 1 and 2 series hatchbacks that we don't even get here. But they are a driver's car and one of the last places to find RWD throughout their lineup. Because of that, yes I would take a bare 328 over a loaded Accord. Just not for "luxury" reasons.

Last edited by notnamed; 07-14-2017 at 10:55 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 10:54 AM

18,822 posts, read 27,268,040 times
Bentley before it was bought out by Germans I believe.
As B said - We build cars designed to last 100 years. That's luxury. Materials, quality, finish, ride, power, design. All of it.
This is why I never get Lexus as luxury car. There's really nothing luxurious in it, it's just very expensive Toyota.

Old 07-14-2017, 11:00 AM

4,417 posts, read 3,772,527 times
Luxury to me = quiet. A very very quiet ride.

After that, I will say that after owning Hondas, Lexus, Toyota and Saab, the experience I get at the Mercedes dealership is leaps and bounds above any other dealer I have ever experienced.

I drive in. They greet me by name (computer reads my license plate and my name is displayed on jumbo screen above). The employees are all clean shaven, happy and in identical uniforms jumping at the chance to greet me, check me in, take my car. The waiting area is immaculately clean, with huge, comfy chairs, flat screens, chargers, desks, free food, drinks. There is a "quiet room" where cell phones and other noise makers are not allowed. They will make you (by hand) a frozen coffee drink or a turkey sandwich for free. Loaners are NEVER a problem. If you have to wait more than an hour, you get a (brand new MB) loaner. If you have to keep the loaner for a few days longer (after your car is ready), not a problem. One time I was away on business and I kept a loaner for three weeks; zero problem. Let me be specific: I have the cheapo MB C-class. They gave me a $100,000+ S class loaner and let me keep it for three weeks!!!!!!! I put a crapload of miles on that sexy beast and no one batted an eyelash!

They constantly call or text or email with updates before the appointment, during the appointment and after the appointment. Free hand washes 7 days a week, no appointment needed. If you are traveling and wanna leave your car at the dealer, they will take you to the airport and pick you back up. If you don't feel like bringing your car in for service, they will come to you and get it. When you pick up your car, they send you off with free bottles of water. I know I am forgetting the other perks.

You can tell that these people have been trained to bend over backwards to make you a MB owner for life. It's working. I have never experienced this kind of treatment at Honda, Lexus, Toyo or Saab, and it makes a difference. At least to me.

I also have a Honda and a Lexus and I won't even go into a dealership comparison with the experience at MB, because there is none.

I would say that even though MB cars are not perfect, the dealership experience comes pretty close to making up for any shortcomings of the cars. I go to the dealer every week for a hand wash and I'm constantly amazed at the place.

Last edited by sinatras; 07-14-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 07-14-2017, 11:24 AM

6,429 posts, read 6,968,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinatras View Post
Luxury to me = quiet. A very very quiet ride.

After that, I will say that after owning Hondas, Lexus, Toyota and Saab, the experience I get at the Mercedes dealership is leaps and bounds above any other dealer I have ever experienced.

I drive in. They greet me by name (computer reads my license plate and my name is displayed on jumbo screen above). The employees are all clean shaven, happy and in identical uniforms jumping at the chance to greet me, check me in, take my car. The waiting area is huge, comfy chairs, flat screens, chargers, desks, free food, drinks. There is a "quiet room" where cell phones and other noise makers are not allowed. They will make you (by hand) a frozen coffee drink or a turkey sandwich for free. Loaners are NEVER a problem. If you have to wait more than an hour, you get a (brand new MB) loaner. If you have to keep the loaner for a few days longer (after your car is ready), not a problem. One time I was away on business and I kept a loaner for three weeks; zero problem. Let me be specific: I have the cheapo MB C-class. They gave me a $100,000+ S class loaner and let me keep it for three weeks!!!!!!!

They constantly call or text or email with updates before the appointment, during the appointment and after the appointment. Free hand washes 7 days a week, no appointment needed. If you are traveling and wanna leave your car at the dealer, they will take you to the airport and pick you back up. If you don't feel like bringing your car in for service, they will come to you and get it. When you pick up your car, they send you off with free bottles of water. I know I am forgetting the other perks.

You can tell that these people have been trained to bend over backwards to make you a MB owner for life. It's working. I have never experienced this kind of treatment at Honda, Lexus, Toyo or Saab, and it makes a difference. At least to me.

I also have a Honda and a Lexus and I won't even go into a dealership comparison with the experience at MB, because there is none.

I would say that even though MB cars are not perfect, the dealership experience comes pretty close to making up for any shortcomings of the cars. I go to the dealer every week for a hand wash and I'm constantly amazed at the place.
I met a contractor (who builds dealerships and has for many years) at my Porsche dealer as he was getting his new 911 serviced. He told me the price per sq ft Porsche spends to build is close to double what Chevy etc spends. Ferrari, Bentley etc...spend even more. They treat you like a valued person (customer) when at a Porsche/MB dealer. The last Jeep and GMC dealer I was at was like going to a 3rd world country in comparison.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive