Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2017, 12:05 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,109,733 times

Advertisements

Simple.

You have mentally weak people who are incapable of dealing minor stress they experience in their daily lives. It builds up and then because they can't deal with it, they lash out. Road rage is just a manifestation of that but you see it in other things as well. Everyone has that person at work they have to tread VERY lightly around because the slightest perceived criticism and they'll snap.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2017, 12:15 PM

24,391 posts, read 23,048,028 times
You have to watch that Goofy road rage video from Disney. Almost 70 years old and they nailed it.

Old 07-15-2017, 12:41 PM

2,211 posts, read 1,571,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
You have to watch that Goofy road rage video from Disney. Almost 70 years old and they nailed it.
Not this one? lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k84-cRlwz7I

Old 07-15-2017, 02:05 PM

3,052 posts, read 2,923,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Traffic/density permitting, I'm about 5mph over the limit on regular roads, and 10mph over on highways. Fastest I'll deviate from posted limits.
Yes, I am talking about the actual speed limit, not the "speed limit" some people make up in their own minds i.e. either 5 to 10 miles over the posted one. I swear before the living God there are often people on the way to or from work that drive 5 to 10 miles *under* the posted speed limit in front of me. Those are the ones that *really* get under my skin.

I generally go 3-5 miles over, sometimes 10 on the highway (usually only if it's flowing with traffic; almost never when I'm the only car around). When I get behind someone going the limit, if I left a little "late" for work (for me that means I won't get there 10 to 15 minutes early like I like to), I get a bit disappointed.

If I really want to get there early (like if I know it's going to be a busy day or something), I'll look for a chance to cut ahead of them, but I won't get angry at them. They're going the speed limit; sometimes people don't want to take any risks, and if they don't have anywhere to go, why risk getting a ticket for someone behind you? (They're certainly not going to pay any ticket should you happen to get one; and yes, in certain areas there are cops that give people tickets for going 5 miles over. Just because you've never had that happen to you doesn't mean it don't happen). They should have planned better and allowed for more time to get where they need to go [and if something happened unexpectedly which caused them to be late--of course you can't know that about the driver behind you, and if this happens consistently to people, then maybe they need to throw in an extra few minutes driving time to account for that--then there's generally some points along one-lane (one way) highways where you can pass and hopefully they'll be able to].

Old 07-15-2017, 02:44 PM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Hasn't failed me in over 10 years, before which I used to react to them, in bad ways and 'good'.
That's like saying it's okay to go play in traffic because you've done it for years and so far nothing bad has happened. It only takes one person whose fuse is already short. They snap and you go bye-bye.

Old 07-15-2017, 02:59 PM

2,752 posts, read 2,759,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
I remember that one!!

Old 07-15-2017, 03:09 PM

8,166 posts, read 6,918,994 times
Sometimes it happens because Person A's carelessness almost just caused Person B to lose their life. Adrenaline rushes into person b's system and they have a fight or flight response. Road rage happens when Person B chooses "fight". It happens even worse when both people chose "fight".

Old 07-15-2017, 03:23 PM

15,427 posts, read 25,799,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
That's an excellent point, too. Even if you speed to appease a tailgater (and that's the most dangerous driving, seriously. New Yorkers..) they usually stay on you even if you're then considerably over. I am reminded of those that do 100 and 110MPH down NJ Turnpike etc. Pretty much any car can hit those speeds.

The best thing to do is move over!? Otherwise.. slowing down just initiates a road rage, when they get in front of you, they slam on brakes. Seen several accidents (? Accidents?) occur in the literal acceleration race for dominance in the moment.
Interesting that you thought I was talking about tailgating. I wasn't. Driving today is a sport.

Old 07-15-2017, 03:42 PM

2,753 posts, read 3,310,284 times
I can't remember where I read it but the study stated that people get mad at the car first, not the individual driving it which I find interesting. I believe the root cause is that it's a need for control by countering other drivers who violate our personal space. A lot of people have unchecked egos who see every opportunity on the road as a game where superiority over other drivers is the ultimate goal.

What I find weird about humans in general is that when we're upset or pissed about what someone has done in front of us in public (like the grocery store or bank), the likelihood of us getting right in their face and pointing it out is very slim. However, if you put glass and steel between you and another driver, there is NOTHING that you wouldn't say to them. Guarantee you're never going to see that person again in your lifetime so letting them have it wouldn't affect you personally.

Old 07-15-2017, 04:08 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,367,033 times
Just an aside to this group...the first letter I wrote from FL ...after
moving there from Boston...said this,'' It's amazing how relaxed my stomach is as I see
a car stop at a crossroad....because I know he will wait for me to proceed, instead of
pull out in front me causing me to slam on my brakes.'' (Not caring about what I have
to do in order for him to just simply go on his way.)

I really wrote this in 1979.
I drove with a friend here in CO recently from the East Coast/Boston... I was in shock at the anger at cars around her that were doing 'NOTHING' wrong....but she perceived them as 'in her way' to be where she wanted to be!

I remained a quiet observer to this 'so-called Awakened person'...she still could not take that East Coast aggression out of her towards innocent drivers!!!

Needless to say, I thought I should keep my distance till she acclimates to
a kinder way of life out here.
Whew, she moved to Sante Fe!!!
And her 'Awakening' means chopping wood and driving, too...ah, 'Hello?'
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive