Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 10:43 AM

17,544 posts, read 17,485,812 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Mini arrived in 2002......25 years ago! How do I know? I ordered one....
I think you meant 15 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 10:50 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,933,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I know people who work for Chrysler and are working 7 days a week at there sterling hgts stamping plant yea Chrysler is doomed.
Jeep brand will be around for a long time. So will the trucks.

Chrysler purchased AMC just for the Jeep and dumped all cars.

Fiat was given Chrysler for free.

Sergio Marchionne has been attempting to sell Fiat Chrysler for years.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:36 PM

10,931 posts, read 11,691,276 times
No, the Fiat 500 was originally made for poor people, but the new replacement model is made to beguile Millennials.

Old 07-16-2017, 02:17 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
I drove the original Fiat 500/600 from the 1960's.
Neat little car but very basic and cheaply made.
Many basic cars from Europe at that time.
Vespa even made a car at that time.

The current 500 is a mishmash of components and assembly. Engine made in Romania (or some such country) and the transmission made in Poland (or some such country).
And the Italians just don't have a reputation of making quality cars (except exotics).

The Fiat 500 is cute. But cute only lasts a few years. Just look at the history of the AMC Pacer.

If the Fiat 500 was priced right there would be more sold. But for that same money one can purchase a Toyota, Nissan, Ford or Chevrolet.

Fiat Chrysler is doomed. They just can't make cars that sell.
Nobody can call out Poland and Romania when everybody else is having parts built on Mexico and Indonesia.
For the record Italian exotics don't have great reliabilty records either.

Mini's are about the same size, equally unreliable, nearly impossible to upgrade, very rudimentary, and extremely awkward in interior layout, but somehow Fiat still just wasn't able to cultivate the cult following Mini has.

Chrysler is not doomed by any means. Fiat 500 might be (in the US only), but Rams, Wranglers, and Grand Cherokees are enjoying record sales.

Old 07-16-2017, 03:34 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
The Challenger, Charger, 300, all pickup trucks, and most JEEPS are still holdover Chrysler products with virtually nothing from FIAT. .
Here is another formula that doesn't seem to be working. European car companies buying American car companies. Nothing comes of it. In the case of Fiat, didn't they pick up Chrysler at firesale prices?

Old 07-16-2017, 04:06 PM

21,716 posts, read 24,949,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Nobody can call out Poland and Romania when everybody else is having parts built on Mexico and Indonesia.
For the record Italian exotics don't have great reliabilty records either.

Mini's are about the same size, equally unreliable, nearly impossible to upgrade, very rudimentary, and extremely awkward in interior layout, but somehow Fiat still just wasn't able to cultivate the cult following Mini has.

Chrysler is not doomed by any means. Fiat 500 might be (in the US only), but Rams, Wranglers, and Grand Cherokees are enjoying record sales.
I'd say Chrysler is.

The 200 was discontinued last year and the 300 is supposedly going to be allowed to linger on until 2021 when it's put on the Giorgio platform and then maybe killed off and only the Dodge Charger/Challenger replaced. Either way, it leaves Chrysler with one or two models. A minivan and a car that's going on ten years old without replacement. At some point it just stops being worthwhile carrying a brand with one or two models.

Kind of funny. The two principal brands of FCA (Fiat and Chrysler) it looks pretty bleak for. I wouldn't say FCA is any danger of demise. Just Fiat and Chrysler.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:13 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So what if Fiat is not making cars for Chrysler just because Fiat owns Chrysler you think they should have a car together like when Daimler owned them and made the Pacifica that Fiat should of made a car together with Chrysler. That's like saying that VW should make a motorcycle with Ducati because they own them. Chrysler is doing good with the 3 cars they have now. They are moving more into the SUV and truck market were you make more money. You have no idea what Chrysler is doing. I love all the auto analyst on here. I live in the motor city were we see first hand how the auto industry is doing. The Fiat 500 is separate from Chrysler dealerships and has nothing to do with the Chrysler side of the company.
Then why call it Fiat- Chrsyler if nobody needs Fiat? Ah, I remember another doomed marriage Fiat entered where they had no business being in; Fiat-Allis.

Old 07-16-2017, 05:16 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,369,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
I'd say Chrysler is.

The 200 was discontinued last year and the 300 is supposedly going to be allowed to linger on until 2021 when it's put on the Giorgio platform and then maybe killed off and only the Dodge Charger/Challenger replaced. Either way, it leaves Chrysler with one or two models. A minivan and a car that's going on ten years old without replacement. At some point it just stops being worthwhile carrying a brand with one or two models.

Kind of funny. The two principal brands of FCA (Fiat and Chrysler) it looks pretty bleak for. I wouldn't say FCA is any danger of demise. Just Fiat and Chrysler.
Chrysler is looking at other automakers to make smaller cars for them.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:10 PM

4,501 posts, read 2,934,972 times
Fiat seems to "top" the list of least-reliable cars... that doesn't bode well.
No connection with this thread, but I think it would be cool if someone updated and reintroduced the Scout...

Old 07-17-2017, 07:05 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,903,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW4me View Post
Fiat seems to "top" the list of least-reliable cars... that doesn't bode well.
No connection with this thread, but I think it would be cool if someone updated and reintroduced the Scout...
It's impossible to not have a company ranking lowest on reliabilty surveys. Even if all companies were 99.9% reliable, one would rank at the bottom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive > Brand-specific forums > Other Brands