Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2017, 02:16 AM

11 posts, read 7,158 times

Advertisements

I want to move from Tennesse to either Colorado, Neveda or Utah.. but I can't go because i have about one bedroom worth of things to take with me. I don't want to leave them in storage hoping that i can get them in one day and can't pay a company to drive my belongings to another storage place.

I would drive a rental truck but I have my Honda here with me.

Last, there are no relatives who can drive the truck while I drive the car.

Please share your cross country moving experiences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2017, 02:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
a few options;

get the proper sized rental truck and either a tow dolly or trailer for the car.

sell the car, and buy a another one when you get where you are going

sell the furniture and buy more when you get where you are going

sell it all and fly to where you are going and buy more stuff.

personally i would take option one and rent a truck and a tow dolly.

Old 07-16-2017, 04:39 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,247,648 times
Truck and tow dolly. However, why is this is the automotive section and not the general moving section?

Old 07-16-2017, 10:36 AM

20,868 posts, read 23,547,540 times
You didn't say what your car is but another option is to get a uhaul trailer that attaches to the back of your vehicle, you will need a hitch to do this. Sell your big stuff and put whatever is left in the trailer and move.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:29 AM

102,203 posts, read 107,859,557 times
Not sure why one of your options isn't to pay movers to truck it to your destination.

Old 07-16-2017, 11:58 AM

18,069 posts, read 18,812,184 times
Truck with dolly to tow the car.

Truck and then rent a one way rental car/fly to go back and get your car.

Pay someone to move your stuff.

Sell your stuff and drive.

Sell your car and buy another one at your destination.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:14 PM

797 posts, read 752,105 times
Personally from someone who's moved ,ore than once,
furniture is a P in the A. If possible just take what you can,sell your bigger items and perhaps even rent a small trailer for the car to haul any items that wont fit in the car.
TN to those states would cost 1,000 or more with gas renting a u-haul plus the trailer.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:25 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,231,509 times
The Honda is your car? What kind of Honda? If it can tow a small U-haul, that would be the easiest and cheapest.

If your car can tow a small trailer but not one large enough to carry all your stuff, sell some of the stuff. If you're certain that your car isn't large enough to tow any kind of trailer, then rent a truck with a tow dolly.

If any of it isn't worth the expense of moving (car or bedroom stuff), sell now and replace when you get there.

Old 07-16-2017, 12:48 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reigndropz View Post
I want to move from Tennesse to either Colorado, Neveda or Utah.. but I can't go because i have about one bedroom worth of things to take with me. I don't want to leave them in storage hoping that i can get them in one day and can't pay a company to drive my belongings to another storage place.

I would drive a rental truck but I have my Honda here with me.

Last, there are no relatives who can drive the truck while I drive the car.

Please share your cross country moving experiences.
Like this.

Old 07-16-2017, 01:01 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
Keep things with meaning to you--maybe heirlooms or high school yearbooks, or your collection of X-men figurines. Sell the rest and line up a furnished rental for your landing zone. You'll probably move at least once more before you find a permanent place. Moving is hard on possessions, stuff gets damaged or lost.

We moved 10 times in 3 years. The 2nd move was to Hawaii; it's really expensive to ship stuff here, so we got rid of practically everything. Moving with just suitcases was a breeze, but we did have a furnished rental house reserved for the first month.

Then we tried different parts of the island, accumulating stuff along the way (garage sales are a great source when you have very little). We moved 8 more times using our pickup truck, and put stuff in storage a couple of times when we went to the mainland for a month at a time. Nearly everything was damaged somewhere along the way, and we replaced most after buying a house.

12 years later, we're moving back to the mainland. We're selling the house furnished, and even getting rid of a lot of heirlooms that I shipped over the first time (I'm sending them to my nieces). It's very freeing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive