Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2017, 03:12 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,205,038 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creamer1 View Post
For those of us in States that feel that two is better than one.. when all that is needed is one (PA, NC, FL, thank you.) Surrounding States have two including Virginia..
Why not simply attach your license plate and be done.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2017, 04:42 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,245,540 times
It gives the police a reason to pull you over whenever they want too; legally.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:41 AM

4,323 posts, read 7,229,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheProtege View Post
It most likely depends on the state. For instance Texas (two-plate state) requires a plate to be mounted on the “the foremost part of the vehicle, usually the bumper.” The original two plate law only required a front and rear plate, but in 2013 they rewrote the law so that it had a specific area (bumper).
That is correct, but I've noticed in particular a lot of late-model high-end or exotic cars with the front plate just tossed on top of the dash. I guess the owners are not wanting to drill the front fascia, and still try to comply with the law (even though they technically aren't). Personally, I wouldn't want that thin metal plate just resting unsecured on the dash.

Also, It's been years here in Texas since I shopped a new-car dealership that didn't already have one of their vanity advertisement/logo plates mounted on the front of all new vehicles in inventory. Upon purchasing a vehicle, then going back to pick up the plates when they came in, they have always been eager to mount those new plates immediately on the spot. None ever asked me if I wanted the front plate mounted or not, they just did it, then saved their vanity plate to recycle on another new vehicle, I suppose. Makes me wonder how people are getting all these ne vehicles with no front mounting provision. Maybe they are factory orders, or maybe some of those dealers don't drill the fascia in advance, knowing many of those buyers won't want a plate there? IDK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbear63 View Post
No such exemption exists here in Texas. In Dallas? No police cares...but they will write you once you are pulled over for another infraction. However, take that same car to small-town Texas and watch how many tickets you get. The nicer the car - the more tickets. Personal experience
That's what I've heard from people with first-hand experience, too. The big city police departments don't seem to enforce the front license plate requirement, but watch out for the smaller towns, and suburban cities. Also Texas DPS is pretty strict on enforcement, so I hear, and also the County Constables we have here. If you live in or travel some of these regions, you are at risk of getting stopped and getting a warning, at a minimum.

Old 07-17-2017, 05:52 AM

3,861 posts, read 3,149,628 times
Leaving a license plate on the dash is dangerous, like leaving a loose blade/sword in the car. A bad accident or sudden tight turn could cause the plate to become a flying saucer , slicing occupants.

If In states where the plate must be attached in front, square in the middle. All US cars have bumpers that accept front plates.

You dont have to drill the bumper cover. Buy the car specific plate holder , and install it to spec. Plates are usually just under the bumper line.

You can zipp tie it to the front as well, no drilling, but the plate must show in front.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:35 AM

15,413 posts, read 9,055,068 times
Quote:
For those of us in States that feel that two is better than one.. when all that is needed is one (PA, NC, FL, thank you.) Surrounding States have two including Virginia..
I doubt that would work.

Quote:
39A:LP-2. License plates; display
a. A motor vehicle driven on the public highways of this State shall display a license plate furnished by the MVC. The plate shall hang between 12 and 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position and shall be attached so it does not swing. The rear license plate may be displayed more than 48 inches from the ground on tank trucks, trailers and other commercial vehicles carrying flammable liquids and on sanitation vehicles used to collect, transport and dispose of solid waste.
b. If two license plates are issued, they shall be displayed on the front and rear of the vehicle; if only one license plate is issued it shall be displayed on the rear of the vehicle.
c. All license plate markings shall be clear and distinct so they are plainly visible at all times. No person shall drive a motor vehicle with a license plate frame or other item that obscures any marking imprinted upon the license plate.
The plate must be displayed hanging on the front of your vehicle, not inside it. There are many mounting options for you, but you must put the plate on the front of your vehicle between 12 and 48 inches from the ground in a horizontal position attached so it does not swing.

Old 07-17-2017, 06:41 AM

3,961 posts, read 11,017,533 times
May not be a fan of the 2 plates (required here) but it isn't going to ruin my day any. Driving without one? I've known some who never get stopped for it, and others (like my wife who tried it once) get stopped immediately.

Putting a plate in the front window, absolutely no way would I ever do that.
There are also special brackets for those with cars they take to shows that can be lowered to hide the plate for better appearances.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:30 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times
Everyone posting has missed the main reason for front license plates for today's world.

LICENSE PLATE SCANNERS.

Yes, license plate scanners could potentially work in the opposite direction. But today, the license plate scanners point in one direction. That direction is forward. The police want to be able to catch the scofflaws going in other direction to the police car.

Old 07-17-2017, 08:38 AM

8,055 posts, read 7,422,895 times
Quote:
That is where I'm at.

I bought a clean cheap Florida car that should be fine. But, dammit, does it look good with no holes front.

Has me wondering. I see a few "one platers." ....
NJ will not let you pass inspection with a license plate on your dashboard.

They won't even pass you if you have it attached to the bracket with wire instead of screws (yep I failed for that one time).

Old 07-17-2017, 09:17 AM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
Legal or not . . .

Wouldn't a License Plate displayed in the windshield area directly interfere with the driver's "line of sight" vision?

How many bicycle riders and pedestrians, both large and small would be obscured by just one plate?

Also, if not properly attached . . . could it be just one more dangerous weapon flying around the cabin during an accident?

Old 07-17-2017, 11:13 AM

1,619 posts, read 1,100,741 times
I live in VA. I had just bought a car from a private owner. It didn't have a bracket on the front. I had my license plate displayed in the windshield and got pulled over. BUT....the cop didn't just pull me over. He followed me to the store, watched me go in, watched me come out, then followed me for a couple miles before pulling me over. He could have just pulled me over the minute he spotted it or gave me a ticket while I was in the parking lot. I don't know what the hell he followed and watched me for. It was weird.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive