Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 10:49 AM

9,375 posts, read 6,975,888 times

Advertisements

I love that car dealerships are closed here on sundays. Once in awhile I'll go wonder the lots on sundays to peruse the new models or exotic used vehicles without any sales people around. Almost therapeutic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 AM

15,419 posts, read 9,075,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by f5fstop View Post
Many of those closing on Sundays is not due to religious reasons, but to unions. MI for years did not allow car sales on weekends due to the union representing salespeople. The dealers did stay open late on Monday and Thursday till 9 but closed at 6PM all other days. UNION! Not sure if it is the same today or not.
Some dealers do not like sales on Sunday cause they cannot complete the sale due to banks and other financial institutions being closed, plus salespeople like to have Sunday off; and usually not just to go to church.
I never heard of a car salesman union before. Though a Google search shows that they do exist, I think they are pretty rare, and not probably not relevant. As for banks being closed on Sunday, most banks are also closed on Saturday, or at least have limited services available on Saturday.

Old 07-21-2017, 10:52 AM

2,274 posts, read 1,338,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I love the ones that disguise their blue law by requiring that the dealerships be closed on Saturday or Sunday. That loophole would be quickly closed if even one dealership decided to close on Saturday and stay open on Sunday.
That is just a fig leaf to get around the 1st Amendment.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:10 AM

15,945 posts, read 12,285,067 times
Chinese places are smart... Around here they close on Mondays. As for dealerships, best time to go is Sunday... Dealers are the most on obnoxious people to deal with.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:23 AM

998 posts, read 1,236,978 times
Shopping for Car in Detroit? Not on Saturdays : Dealers Who Stay Open Claim Others Are Harassing Them - latimes

A 30+ year old article ...

Old 07-21-2017, 11:57 AM

255 posts, read 451,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
I never heard of a car salesman union before. Though a Google search shows that they do exist, I think they are pretty rare, and not probably not relevant. As for banks being closed on Sunday, most banks are also closed on Saturday, or at least have limited services available on Saturday.
Here in Nevada I think most of the big banks are open like half a day on Saturday. However, banks that are in grocery stores, at least my bank (US Bank) is open on Sunday.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:11 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,764,474 times
Go back 50 years, and in some states you could not have any type of business open on Sunday except what they called a critical business. Such as a drug store so people could fill prescriptions. But they could only service the prescription area, and could not wring up a sale for anything else. Some places, offered you could be open Sunday, if you closed on Saturday which allowed those that had Saturday as your religious day and closed on Saturday to open Sunday. This started happening when the anti-discrimination against religions became law.

The younger generation, cannot believe every shopping mall in the city was closed on Sunday.

Stores were only open one evening a week, when all businesses were open the same evening each week.

Stores were all closed on 7 major Holidays.

Things were a lot different in the past, and some states are still not fully in the 21st Century.

Old 07-21-2017, 12:43 PM

2,684 posts, read 2,400,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cats234 View Post
what county?
Bergen county. I thought it was only parts of Bergen county as I lived in Rutherford and was easily able to shop by driving a couple minutes down Rt. 3, but it may be all of Bergen. It was so annoying.

The point another person made about how Sundays don't harm car sales is probably true- you still need a car so you buy it on Saturday. But "shopping" in places like malls definitely drops off which hurts business; it's a common occurrence in our family to go to a mall when it's raining/hot/cold/just because and inevitably I return home with a couple of things. Can't do this on Sundays in that county.

This is most noticeable in Paramus- they have enormous malls and stores and they're all closed on Sunday.

Old 07-21-2017, 01:10 PM

10,891 posts, read 7,386,537 times
It's weird how businesses sometimes are closed on what should be a busy day.

Car dealers are open here, but the local chain of hardware stores is closed on Sunday. There's a sports bar/restaurant that used to be closed on Sundays; I'd think that would be a busy day for them!

Old 07-21-2017, 01:11 PM

6,033 posts, read 6,147,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
I love that car dealerships are closed here on sundays. Once in awhile I'll go wonder the lots on sundays to peruse the new models or exotic used vehicles without any sales people around. Almost therapeutic.
Oh, it is that. Indeed.

In WA, it's hit or miss, but I'd say more 'are' than 'aren't' at least in the 'Sound area.

My favorite Porsche dealer is open, skeleton staff, but there are usually lookie lous. Including me, I suppose. The GM, Hans, told me that they make Sunday sales once in awhile. Else they wouldn't do it! Service is buttoned up, though, so that's not terribly useful.

Growing up in Detroit, pretty much all dealers were closed Sunday. Period. My father would rant about that, literally, as he loved cars as one of his life's damn-few great passions and his love-hate relationship with Chrysler products continued to the day we buried him: on that day, his Pacifica refused to start but started up just fine later. Go figure, it got the last laugh. So, instead, when I was a kid we'd go hang out at Sears and look at tools instead on Sundays, or similar. Or watch the Tigers, sometimes the Lions, either on TV or (rarely) in-person.

We were a technology executive family growing up in the suburbs of the world's auto capital (at that time), literally surrounded by automotive executive families. No one had a straight answer why dealers were closed Sundays. My dad was no line-tower and pretty much hated how the Big 4 ran the town, but coached me early on to work within the system to change it, not from without.

And sure enough, the system gutted itself. Wouldn't surprise me if the Chinese and Germans owned the Big 4 in-toto within 30 more years, or they diffuse themselves into a Tesla-like sales model. Good riddance to obsolete business models, I say.

My buddy just rolled in yesterday on a Tesla P75D, by coincidence. Gorgeous car and mongo-fast, though crazy money for what amounts to a luxury four door sedan. He bought it from a mall down the street. The mall is open on Sundays, btw.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive