Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2017, 08:07 PM

3,133 posts, read 2,257,513 times

Advertisements

Since I used to work for Honda, I can only speak about them but I'm pretty sure all manufacturers today follow similar practices in the design and development of their components.

Companies spend millions of dollars trying to find that perfect combination of weight, strength, reliability, and cost. One way to test this formula is on an engine dynamometer,for example. Using software programs it is very easy to run an engine on a dyno and simulate 100k, 500k, or a million miles under load.

Once the tests are completed,tear the engine down and measure wear on the parts. This is surprisingly accurate, and like I said I'm pretty sure most companies use this technology. It's way better than sending poor quality components to the marketplace and have to eat the costs of repairs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2017, 10:51 PM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
I suppose it depends on your definition of reliable. If you have a Mini that has something go wrong on twice a year but you fix and maintain it then it may be reliable for you.

If you have a 1990 Honda Accord that has 250k on the odometer and the original clutch, alternator and starter then maybe that's your definition of reliable.

...And no, your boyfriend is wrong!! Facts are facts. Some makes and models of cars have more mechanical problems then others thus making them less reliable. Changing the oil and brake pads when needed is maintenance. Having to fix things like fuel pumps, starters and brake master cyclinders are mechanical failures.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:39 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,946,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Unfortunately, cars have literally built in obsolesce. The way they are now designed is either stupidity, or intention. Intention for it to break down right about after warranty expires.
If you read stats, dealerships make more money off repairs and maintenance than off sales. Selling parts to consumer is also large profit to auto makers.
So it does not make any business sense to make reliable cars that can literally run without oil and coolant.
That said, out of all evils you choose the least.
What you see in LONG TERM reliability list is simply cars that have less of the obsolesce built into them.
As my technician said yesterday, you can't turn chicken crap into chicken salad. You can't make POC made and designed vehicle run for long, no matter how well it's maintained.
Not entirely true. This would be true if there was a monopoly, but thanks to the free market economy, companies have to try and keep up with their competition or risk loosing market share. This is why cars last longer than they used to and have longer maintenance cycles despite being theoretically unprofitable to do so.

Old 07-21-2017, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
That's why companies who make the parts improve them, like how many steering and suspension parts now have zirc fittings- the part last longer if it can get periodically greased.
I haven't seen a zirc fitting on a car in decades.

Old 07-22-2017, 01:51 AM

10,895 posts, read 7,389,984 times
Some cars are just junk, no matter how you maintain them. I had a 2000 Kia Sportage. The transmission had to be rebuilt 14 months after I bought it due to crummy ball bearings (or something).

Tons of things went wrong on that car, all covered by warranty for 10 years. We used to wait until at least 3 things went wrong before taking it in for repairs. It was a lemon, and we should have sent it back.

They fixed the gas-cover opener (you know, the lever you pull) 3 times--when it wasn't working, I had to swing out the spare tire, use a key to open the tailgate, remove a hatchcover inside the trunk, then pull a lever to unlatch the gas cover.

I sold it really cheap when the warranty ended.

Old 07-22-2017, 07:12 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ukrkoz View Post
Unfortunately, cars have literally built in obsolesce.
You must be of a certain age. This was a popular saying in the 50s and 60s. Right up there with the GM conspiring with oil companies to make gas guzzling cars and killing public transportation projects. You are basically making the argument that companies make money by building crappy cars and people are too stupid to recognize that.

Old 07-22-2017, 08:20 AM

2,721 posts, read 4,391,187 times
Default Of Course,

IN business 101 in college they taught a lot of generalities to introduce the business world to students.
Economics was about the buisness world and its' financial workings.

We studied much in class, the breakfast cereal companies and how they spent millions on advertising
on Sat. mornings, the target audience, to promote Capn' Crunch or whatever.
Another concept that was taught was automobile companies and planned obsolescence. Automobiles are designed to last- only a short time. This way people will tire of repairing the thing and buy another.
THere was always talk of a 100,000 mile tire. The technology is out there but is not put into use.
It has been my experience that if one babies a car it will last indefinately. Yes, coil packs will fail,
batteries will die and radiators will oxidize and suspension parts will wear. It is inevitable.

Having said this, one must drive a car very gently and it will really last. Don't slam doors or race around corners, drive way over the max speed limit, no jackrabbit starts( hard on the engine), swerve through traffic, (hard on steering parts and suspension), unneccesary starting over and over, things like this
will shorten the life span of an automobile.
DO preventive maintenance, keep up on it and your car will last indefinately. Really. Unless it gets wrecked
or you live in the northern climate where corrosive salts are used to clear roads of ice. IN which case
the car will rust until it exists no more. Even that can be slowed or even prevented with underbody rust preventer.
It all depends on how well you care for the thing.

Old 07-22-2017, 09:05 AM

1,915 posts, read 1,481,162 times
Thanks for the answers!

I've posted before about me trying to figure out what to replace my 13-year old Vibe (when it's time). I just want to know what I'm going to get and what's a good price so if a replacement happens suddenly, I'm prepared.

I've looked at all kinds of cars: Ford, GM, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Toyota... and my boyfriend (who loves BMW) convinced me to test drive a Mini and BMWs. I kind of narrowed things down to Chevy Cruze or Mazda 3. Although I like the BMW X1 and 3 series (they were the nicest cars I drove), I thought they are less reliable and more expensive to maintain. He loves his BMWs, so he advocates for them. He's pretty smart and usually is right about things, but no one is perfect Maybe he just has a weakness in regards to BMW. He also really seems to think I need the safety features of the BMW ( thicker steel, run flats, handling, etc.) and four wheel drive (he doesn't like the X1 BTW).

Old 07-22-2017, 09:34 AM

1,701 posts, read 1,875,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
and my boyfriend (who loves BMW) convinced me to test drive a Mini and BMWs.
Well, I'll tell ya right now that both of those manufactures have terrible reliability reputations.

I don't have any experience with Minis but my sister has had four BMW 3 series and all have had a lot of problems many of which were very expensive. Her 2006 even had the tranny go out (manual transmission) and since beamers depreciate more rapidly then most cars, the of cost doing a rebuild was roughly equal to the cost of the entire vehicle. Don't get me wrong, I drove all four of them several times and for a sedan they all had great handling, power and stopping power. But yeah, pain the arse vehicles.

Old 07-22-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellaLind View Post
Thanks for the answers!

I've posted before about me trying to figure out what to replace my 13-year old Vibe (when it's time). I just want to know what I'm going to get and what's a good price so if a replacement happens suddenly, I'm prepared.

I've looked at all kinds of cars: Ford, GM, Mazda, Honda, Subaru, Toyota... and my boyfriend (who loves BMW) convinced me to test drive a Mini and BMWs. I kind of narrowed things down to Chevy Cruze or Mazda 3. Although I like the BMW X1 and 3 series (they were the nicest cars I drove), I thought they are less reliable and more expensive to maintain. He loves his BMWs, so he advocates for them. He's pretty smart and usually is right about things, but no one is perfect Maybe he just has a weakness in regards to BMW. He also really seems to think I need the safety features of the BMW ( thicker steel, run flats, handling, etc.) and four wheel drive (he doesn't like the X1 BTW).
The problem with Mini is two fold. For one, parts are expensive and depreciation is terrible. So you eventually get to a point where something breaks and the fix is more costly than the car is worth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive