Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 08:29 PM

9,512 posts, read 6,093,395 times

Advertisements

I always pull through if I can see the immediate area on the incoming traffic lane (so I know if another driver is pulling into same spot).

My motivation is a little different than others because I have a handicap placard. Many times the handicapped spots are not angled but are in the busy front-of-store path with drivers rushing in/out & then having to stop at the pedestrian crossing sign where the front doors open up to the parking lot.

You can sit there in your car for 5-10 minutes waiting for a chance to back out because that lane is bumper to bumper cars. I've literally waited & watched someone pull in to park in the typical angled spots, get out, go into the store, come back out with their purchase, get back in their car & leave; all while waiting for a chance to back out into basically heavy traffic.

Additionally; I have the placard because I have a disabled child in the back seat whom I have to get in & out of the car, into the store & back. He has little awareness of oncoming traffic & he walks on his toes with his face looking at the ground & his shoulders towards his ears. He also flaps his lower arms & wrists & will lunge or bolt unexpectedly. Now that he is 13; he is 5'11" & 189lbs (bigger & stronger than I) & drivers will not anticipate that he might behave with the "randomness"of a toddler. They think he's a teen or adult who knows how to navigate traffic.

Simply put, if I pull all the way through; the rear doors are to the inside vs the outside of the parking spot so I have more of a chance to get a good hold on him & better visibility to cross. If not; cars will be passing by within feet of us & I have to position myself with my back to the traffic to get him out safely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,383,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
Ive seen it in Delaware, NJ, among other places. There will be a sign posted that says "head in parking only"

Rehoboth Beach Visitor's Services - Rehoboth.com

"Please remember that only "Head-In" parking is allowed at the meters."
Are these angled in parking spots? That would make sense.

There are streets here where all the angled parking is back in only.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JonahWicky View Post
Any time you can avoid having to back out of a parking space is one less chance for a fender bender. Visibility can be blocked by other vehicles, someone across from you could be backing out at the same time, a driver coming down the aisle might not be paying attention...all kinds of things to contend with.

I always look for a spot where I can pull through and drive out.

Yes, pulling through or backing in is much safer anywhere. Whenever you are reversing out of a spot or a driveway you've increased your likelihood for an accident. I have a twelve passenger mommy van and can still manage to back in to 90% of spots or pull through to an empty one, so I don't want to hear anyone complaining it's hard in their SUV or truck . I'm bigger and my turning radius is sucks more, but its totally doable with practice.

Old 07-24-2017, 04:47 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,497,029 times
I've done both, depending on the parking lot. No big deal either way.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,016,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by engineman View Post
The only problem is if you come out of the store with a shopping cart full and can't get to your trunk because someone pulled up close behind you.

I pull through any time it is feasable.

EXACTLY.

And why is this even an issue, or anyone else's business?

Sometimes it makes sense to pull through, other times, like when you know you're going to be loading groceries, it DOESN'T make sense.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,191,156 times
I pull through sometimes, but if I am going grocery shopping and want to put the bags in the back of my SUV, it's easier to park nose in so I can bring the shopping cart more easily to rear of my car. If I have no reason to access the back of my car when I am leaving the parking lot, I will pull through if a spot is available to do that, but finding a pull through spot is more of a rarity in my experience.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:52 AM

8,009 posts, read 10,418,653 times
I never pull through. First, backing out of a spot is not that tough. Second, I have had a lot of times where someone parked behind me so closely that getting things in the trunk / back of the car was damn near impossible. For the record, my husband has a habit of pulling through or backing into spots, and this only happens when he does this. He's had to pull up to get groceries in the back. And forget getting a shopping cart behind the car. All of that is a lot more inconvenient than backing out of a parking spot.

Old 07-24-2017, 11:59 AM

6,556 posts, read 8,381,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Ok? or illegal?

I like to park nose out in parking lots (as in the green arrow) of the configuration in the attached image, if there are no bumps, poles, or other restrictions. So I can just leave without the hassle of backing out of the space. So when I see someone, arriving just after me, and they stop in the space as illustrated in red, I kindly point out that it's OK to pull through, so they are nose out. They just smile and shrug, "It's no big deal" or "If someone parks in front of me, it is what it is".

So who's right?
There is no right or wrong. It's just an individual preference.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:15 PM

1,280 posts, read 1,394,978 times
I drive an SUV with an automated rear liftgate to access the cargo area. I also have a rear view camera. The benefits of easily loading my purchases far outweigh not having to back out of the parking spot.

Old 07-24-2017, 01:17 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,202,565 times
I prefer to just park parallel across three spaces.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive