Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 06:36 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
I wouldn't call 6.x seconds to 60 slow for a truck. That v6 6 speed manual combo can be pretty fun.
Try to find a manual tranny 6 cylinder!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2017, 08:41 PM

2,990 posts, read 8,713,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
The only Tacoma V6s I remember with a manual was the X-Runner. I can imagine they made other V6s with the manual but probably only a 5 speed and not a 6 speed of the X-Runner made by Aisin.

Old 07-24-2017, 09:59 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,739,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redraven View Post
Really? "Anything"?
Will it outlast my old 1994 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD? It had 276,000 miles on it when I got rid of it, and the last I heard it was still running strong somewhere in Nevada. The only reason I got rid of it was the fact that I no longer needed a one ton dually.
My current 1999 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD has nearly 175,000 miles on the clock, and is still going strong. I see similar Dodge CTD trucks from the '80s and '90s on the roads around here on a daily basis.
How many mid to late '90s Toyotas are still on the roads?

Wasn't it the Tacoma that had a massive recall to replace the frames due to intergranular corrosion?

For off-roading, if I ever decide to do much of it again, I will get another Jeep Wrangler Rubicon ('06 or earlier, I don't like the newer ones) or just use my Kawasaki Brute Force ATVs.
Sounds like you have been very lucky. Those old Dodge trucks were great. New ones? I've never spent much time in them but friends who own them seem to turn them often. They may run well but they rust badly around here.

My 1998 Toyota LC 100 - I sold it a little over 2 years ago for a new one at 335k miles. Just looked at Carfax and it has 360k on it with the new owner.

My 1994 Toyota 4 Runner - 225k miles on it and still runs like a top.

My 1986 Toyota LC FJ60 - 250k miles and still runs fine. Manual choke cable is a little sticky though.

All bought new by me.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:02 PM

Quote:
One thing that blows my mind on Tacoma is the miserable gas mileage for a slow 6 cyliner. The tiny bed in the crew cab is a joke too.
There are 2 beds. My 2017 double cab has the 6 ft bed (long bed). Gas mileage isn't all that bad unless you jack rabbit every light.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liledgy View Post
Really? Nobody told that to my 14 year old Silverado with 170k on it. Mostly all original except radiator, front wheel bearing, front rear pads at 140k fronts at 148k. Original starter, alternator, exhaust. Oh, my a/c was acting up cycling on and off, ordered a $12.45 low pressure switch that was just plugged in, good as new.
While I thing highly of Toyota (we have a 1990 Camry for the college kids), I certainly wouldn't pay over inflated (my opinion) prices for a small pickup truck. It has a terrible history on rust corrosion (may be solved now), very cheap bumpers that rust out quicker that the body and frame. The tundra hasn't been trouble free either, didn't they have. Camshafts failing in large quantities?
Not sure where you live but the rust issue seems to be oriented toward the big 3. Here in Ohio they start rusting in just a couple of winters, especially the cab corners, wheel wells, and rocker panels. And given 1/2 of the ones sold here are some version of white, the rust is extremely noticeable. Also the rust streaks on the chrome and painted bumpers.

Given what pickups cost today they shouldn't rust ever.

Old 07-24-2017, 10:48 PM

600 posts, read 567,030 times
If you want something bigger, there's always the Tundra or the Nissan Titan.

The TRD Tundra is freaking amazing. Toyota has come a long way with their trucks. They not only caught up, they have surpassed the big 2.

I mean, just compare the attention to detail.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwIycMsoqXc

Old 07-25-2017, 01:29 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Weren't difficult to find when I was shopping in Ohio.

Old 07-25-2017, 01:37 AM

17,308 posts, read 12,255,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AA702 View Post
The only Tacoma V6s I remember with a manual was the X-Runner. I can imagine they made other V6s with the manual but probably only a 5 speed and not a 6 speed of the X-Runner made by Aisin.
The TRD trims at least offer the v6 and 6 speed manual combo.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:18 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,439,565 times
I think some of this is a legacy from 10 and 20 years ago.

At the time, they did better on gas mileage than much of the big 3. The big 3 has caught up in terms of fuel economy, and the popular versions of the Tacoma have gone from the 2 doors with an access cab or a simple two seater to the larger 4 doors variety, and the bigger trucks get worse mileage. And, they are legendary in their ability to run "longer" than the big 3. Some of the big 3 are just as long lived, but they've all thrown a few duds out there at some point. Ford with their cam phaser issues, Chevy had some engine issues at one point, etc...

The other thing is that a segment of the population prefers smaller trucks. I know a lot of hunters that prefer them as more capable offroad trucks, that can get back places and do better than bigger trucks. They like that they're more maneuverable, they might fit in the garage better, etc...

I can't wait for the Ford or Chevy to come out with a moderate sized diesel engine.

Old 07-25-2017, 03:50 PM

17,314 posts, read 22,056,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JONOV View Post
I think some of this is a legacy from 10 and 20 years ago.

At the time, they did better on gas mileage than much of the big 3. The big 3 has caught up in terms of fuel economy, and the popular versions of the Tacoma have gone from the 2 doors with an access cab or a simple two seater to the larger 4 doors variety, and the bigger trucks get worse mileage. And, they are legendary in their ability to run "longer" than the big 3. Some of the big 3 are just as long lived, but they've all thrown a few duds out there at some point. Ford with their cam phaser issues, Chevy had some engine issues at one point, etc...

The other thing is that a segment of the population prefers smaller trucks. I know a lot of hunters that prefer them as more capable offroad trucks, that can get back places and do better than bigger trucks. They like that they're more maneuverable, they might fit in the garage better, etc...

I can't wait for the Ford or Chevy to come out with a moderate sized diesel engine.
GM with engine issues......Can't think of any in the last 30 years!

Chevy has had the diesel Colorado for 2+ years now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive