Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How Do You Prefer Your Steering?
Hefty all around, with snappy return to center, and intimate road feedback through wheel 10 40.00%
Lighter for parking, increasingly heavier feel with good centering at higher speeds, moderate road feedback 12 48.00%
Super light for parking, some return and center, little weight or road feel 2 8.00%
Ultra-numb feel, finger tip light, no effort needed from parking lot to 90mph, feels like you're on ice 1 4.00%
Voters: 25. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2017, 06:57 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
It can improve, And already is. It's easier to design too much 'boost' into an EPS motor assist than into conventional(hydraulic). I've driven some recent EPS examples, and while the steering is light, it no longer needs constant corrections to keep centered down the road.
I just drive my man as long as my car goes were I want it that's all I care about. I've driven every type of steering, I was driving electric steering on hilos before cars had it. I've driven manual steering cars in the early 70's then the old power steering cars in the late 70's and 80's, to power assist rack and pinion when it first came out. So steering doesn't excite mee it's just a car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2017, 07:16 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
I just drive my man as long as my car goes were I want it that's all I care about. I've driven every type of steering, I was driving electric steering on hilos before cars had it. I've driven manual steering cars in the early 70's then the old power steering cars in the late 70's and 80's, to power assist rack and pinion when it first came out. So steering doesn't excite mee it's just a car.
So answer this: If you were given the opportunity to drive 4 different cars, two recent ones, two from 30, 50 years ago, one maybe a sport coupe, a minivan, a big sedan, and a smaller sedan, you are saying you wouldn't feel any differences in the way they all steered?

Old 07-25-2017, 07:20 PM

6,980 posts, read 5,417,589 times
Quote:
So answer this: If you were given the opportunity to drive 4 different cars, two recent ones, two from 30, 50 years ago, one maybe a sport coupe, a minivan, a big sedan, and a smaller sedan, you are saying you wouldn't feel any differences in the way they all steered?
Sure I would feel the difference but I would not get excited about it, I would just drive steering is just steering as long as I can turn the wheel I don't care what type of steering it is. I don't get excited about cars of today unless they are retro cars like the muscle cars of the 70's my time period when I was a 18

Old 07-25-2017, 07:36 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,958,439 times
Quote:
So it must have either low or no power steering boost.
It's a feature of every Nissan product I've ever owned heavy steering and lots of feedback

Old 07-25-2017, 08:25 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
older BMWs used to have a nice feeling when steering was hydraulic, now with electrical power it is way too soft...
I know higher end cars have an adjustable steering control by software, but it is not as real as the old hydraulic one.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:08 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,233,609 times
My preference would be lots of help at speeds under 20-30 mph but no help much above that. (Depends greatly, however, on the weight of the vehicle and size of tires.) For my first new pickup that I ordered in 1968, I ordered non-power steering. It was great on the road, not so good in the parking lot, etc. My wife struggled with it, as parking did require a little muscle. I think I also had an '85 Toyota pickup and a '78 Porsche 924 without P.S., but most everything has had P.S.

I think power steering is more apt to get you into trouble, as it's too easy to yank on the wheel at 80 mph (to miss a deer, for example), and find yourself sideways and out of control, all set up for leaving the roadway and rolling. I hit a deer with my Prius last year while driving 80 mph on the interstate. (It actually hit me, but it was close.) I didn't yank on the wheel much because I've told myself over and over not to, but after I hit it and slowed some, then looked around and saw no traffic, I yanked just a little to see how it would handle. I mean, I was maybe at 40-50 mph at that point, and I was glad I didn't turn any harder as it got squirrelly real quick. But I love how the Prius handles in town. I voted the no. 2 answer.

Road feedback? I've never noticed that it matters much. Good tires properly inflated and a good, not-too-soft suspension provides most of the feel for me.

Old 07-25-2017, 09:31 PM

13,714 posts, read 12,431,964 times
I've got a theory about this. Its like coffee. If you ask 10 people what they want in a cup of coffee, they will tell you a rich, bold dark taste. If you give them a confidential taste test they prefer milky and sweet.

So it is with steering. People say they want heavy, planted steering and a planted performance suspension, but for everyday driving, I think they'd take something that steers a lot lighter most of the time.

Old 07-25-2017, 10:12 PM

21,749 posts, read 28,077,952 times
I'm crazy particular about steering in my cars. It'll literally make-it-or-break-it on a decision to buy a car.

I like very direct response without feeling darty on highway. Weight should make sense for the speed. Low speed should be heavier and get lighter at speed, get heavier with G load in corners linearly, and light when experiencing understeer. A bit of road vibration is welcome too.

Too many flexy bits, and too much power steering boost ruins steering. Many American cars, and Japanese brands like Lexus cater to the crowd that don't want to be reminded they're driving.

I've also driven a ton of cars, and have track experience. Of sportier cars I've either owned or had significant seat time in, here's how I rank them, from best to worst:

Lotus Elise/Exige (by a lot)
987 Cayman S
Mitsubushi Evo VIII
997 911 Carrera S
Porsche 944
996 911 Carrera 4S
E46 M3 Competition
958.1 Cayenne S
Acura NSX (3.0)
MK5 Volkswagen GTI
Nissan 350Z
C5 Corvette Z06
FD3S Mazda RX7
Audi S5 V8
E92 M3
E90 328
Honda S2000
C6 Corvette Z06
C6 Corvette Z51
2006 WRX STi
F30 328i
MK4 Toyota Supra Turbo
Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4
5th Gen Camaro SS

I found that after driving on the track and autocross and really learning how to drive, the car communicating and giving feedback suddenly became really important in a practical/objective way. On the street, it just feels oh so good.

Last edited by Stylo; 07-25-2017 at 10:27 PM..

Old 06-16-2020, 12:31 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,040,022 times
Stylo wrote:
"I like very direct response without feeling darty on
highway. Weight should make sense for the speed.
Low speed should be heavier and get lighter at speed,
get heavier with G load in corners linearly, and light
when experiencing understeer. A bit of road vibration
is welcome too. "

I'm the oppsosite: Low speed(parking lots) lighter(more assist), and progressively heavier(less assist) and higher speeds.

"Road vibration"? That's what a small dose of scrub radius is desireable for.

Old 06-18-2020, 07:37 AM

15,796 posts, read 20,499,262 times
I prefer heavy steering. I don't like manual steering, but prefer an power hydraulic rack with assist for low speed parking with wide tires, but have a heavy feel on the highway. I also prefer a 15:1 ratio or about 2.25-2.5 turns lock to lock.

I have a couple older cars that I've installed modified racks into to achieve this feel. My new car with EPS actually does impress me by not having an overly boosted feel. Fairly heavy on the highway and not twitchy at all. I'm actually fairly satisfied with it given my disdain for EPS.

As for ease of self-centering, just dial in more caster on the front suspension provided you can find a shop willing to stray from the OEM specs. It really helps with centering the wheel after a turn and tracking perfectly straight at highway speeds. I find some OEM's don't dial in enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive