Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 04:29 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times

Advertisements

The value of the vehicle will be what someone is actually willing to pay for it. It'll have a certain value to someone whether you put 1500.00 in it or not.
If you plan to trade it in the dealer will give you practically nothing for it no matter what you do, they'll send it to the auction house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2017, 06:40 PM

672 posts, read 698,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Thanks, I just wanted to see if 191K versus 200K made a difference. It doesn't to me except psychologically. Kind of like the price of 19.95 or $20.00. Really no difference but marketers still do it all the time.
At $3500 I wouldn't sell it. I haven't found one at that price point yet and ones that even come close to it are base models and mine has every option as it is the UL model. The car was a Ca car all it's life and I just brought it into Ga a year ago. I can see the point of lowballing when you are in Mi where the weather is really harsh on cars as I think they are worth less because of that.
Lexus is not cheap, but this has been the most reliable maintanence free car I have ever owned. A high mileage Lexus is really nothing to be afraid of. I think I will just do the service and drive it for another year and sell it at 200k miles. Seems the cheapest route to go.
It won't sale for $5500. $3500 may be on the high side of what someone may offer you. The car is 15 years old and near 200k. Rust or not most people aren't interested in a car with that many miles or age. No matter how reliable you think it is, most people expect a major component failure on a car in the 200-250k mileage range along. In the south if the a/c still works they expect that to fail soon to.

With the cheap loan rates and longer terms, in addition to the glut of newer cars on the market, things aren't on your side. Truthfully I'm starting to see a lot less early 2000's cars on the road in my area. Most of the cars I see now are from mid 2000's and up. I stay in the south so rust isn't an issue.

Old 07-26-2017, 06:55 PM

17,211 posts, read 57,041,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
I was in your EXACT same shoes, making the same arguments and after a year of living the Exact situation that Coldjenses pointed out I ended up just deciding to keep the dang thing. Worth more to me than the couple $K I could realistically get given that it only costs me maybe $200/year to keep.

I'm also in GA, it's a Toyota and was 100% up on all maintenance, including the "big" jobs (timing belt, water pump, etc..) ~ needed absolutely nothing and I was getting FU offers.

Be prepared for that possibility, you're emotionally attached.
Not just being emotionally attached, but, as the original owner, you KNOW the history of the car. To a buyer, you are just another guy with a used car and a story. Lexus being a glorified Toyota, they will last way beyond 200K.

I had the head off my old 87 Camry to change the failed head gasket. The cylinder bores not only did not have a ridge that I could feel with my nails, they looked NEW. At 150K miles.

Old 07-26-2017, 10:41 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
It won't sale for $5500. $3500 may be on the high side of what someone may offer you. The car is 15 years old and near 200k. Rust or not most people aren't interested in a car with that many miles or age. No matter how reliable you think it is, most people expect a major component failure on a car in the 200-250k mileage range along. In the south if the a/c still works they expect that to fail soon to.

With the cheap loan rates and longer terms, in addition to the glut of newer cars on the market, things aren't on your side. Truthfully I'm starting to see a lot less early 2000's cars on the road in my area. Most of the cars I see now are from mid 2000's and up. I stay in the south so rust isn't an issue.
$5500 is even low for that car. And it looks a lot better and classier than the ugly Lexus cars of today

Old 07-26-2017, 11:22 PM

3,861 posts, read 3,148,782 times
what do you have to get done ? is that a dealer price, or local mechanic price?

you do own the equivalent of a Japanese Mercedes 5 series , there is a cult following, you will get buyers. Some twenties and tint , and you have one very classy VIP sedan. This ls430 will still be a quieter more comfortable ride than many new cars on the road today.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:45 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
I think I will put it up for sale. If it doesn't sell it's not the end of the world. If it doesn't sell I'll just drive it until it blows up. It still rides nice and quiet and had every option possible. Looks great in milenium silver. I enjoyed the heck out if the car and am nit emotionally attached. I also have a nice truck that I enjoy and will be getting an sl550 next spring so I have options. Thanks for the input.

Old 07-26-2017, 11:47 PM

10,345 posts, read 8,557,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kapikap View Post
what do you have to get done ? is that a dealer price, or local mechanic price?

you do own the equivalent of a Japanese Mercedes 5 series , there is a cult following, you will get buyers. Some twenties and tint , and you have one very classy VIP sedan. This ls430 will still be a quieter more comfortable ride than many new cars on the road today.
Timing belt and spark plugs. Water pump would be changed since it's apart already.

Old 07-27-2017, 04:45 AM

18,949 posts, read 43,571,506 times
Lexus LS is one of the best cars ever made, and I certainly think it's capable of way more than 200k miles.

Old 07-27-2017, 05:30 AM

450 posts, read 596,759 times
I'm one who keeps cars a minimum of 15 years and usually have 150,000 plus miles. I start getting nervous even though I've kept maintenance and service up to date. That uneasy sword of Damaclese feeling usually makes me sell the car.
Advice: completely clean and detail the car at least a month ahead so it doesn't look like it was spiffed up just for the sale. A little dust under the bonnet makes it look used but well looked after. Ask more that you'll accept and be open and honest with the prospective buyer. Service manuals and receipts make the sale go quicker.

Old 07-27-2017, 09:01 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,729,849 times
If you were closer I would be very interested
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive