Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-27-2017, 05:42 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,069,210 times

Advertisements

I've been trying to find info, but haven't found much. Was hoping maybe this board can help me.

I currently have Nokian WRG3 on my Mazda 3 HB. It did well last winter, except the time I was at a deadstop and needed to get up a slope (not even a hill). Where I live, I'm more concerned about ice, not snow. And since I'm moving soon to a city where I'll be commuting on a winding, elevation change, two-lane road, think "light" mountain road, I was wondering if I should get true winter tires to assist with the ice. I can't put chains on my tires (well, I can, but I'll probably do a lot of damage to my wheel well and rims) and I really don't want studded tires.

Thoughts between the Nokian WRG3's and true winter tires? I realize true winter tires will do better, but would it be worth it for me to buy some? I'm on the poor side right now and even Blizzak's are $140 each.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2017, 05:49 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,830,354 times
instead of true snow tires, or relying on old style chains, check these out and see if they might work for you;

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Chains...ds=tire+chains

https://www.amazon.com/Chains-Car-Em...N8ZVJKPTNCM49D

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chai...N8ZVJKPTNCM49D

Old 07-27-2017, 07:19 PM

421 posts, read 544,150 times
I had WRG2's, and didn't care for them. Wore fast, noisy at the end, and didn't seem to do anything all that well. A true compromise tire. With those tires, I probably would need to time getting a new set every fall, or about every 30k.

At the moment my cars run General RT43's. Probably not quite as good snow traction, but when they are new, they seem decent. I toyed with just replacing every fall, but finally bit the bullet and got snows. Been too long to give a full A/B comparison but I've done plenty of driving on the RT43's in snow, and they get the job done.

But a real snow tire...

Old 07-27-2017, 08:42 PM

996 posts, read 1,236,111 times
You may be low on cash but how much would it cost you if you smash your car because of crappy tires in the Winter time ? Lots of information on and other websites regarding true winter tires vs. all season tires, basically there's no comparison.
Also if you have two sets of tires they last twice as long theoretically because you're only using them approximately half the year each, so as long as they don't age out ( tires are good for 6 to 10 years usually).

Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,266,208 times
Didn't know cellphone business is that tough.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
You may be low on cash but how much would it cost you if you smash your car because of crappy tires in the Winter time ? Lots of information on and other websites regarding true winter tires vs. all season tires, basically there's no comparison.
Also if you have two sets of tires they last twice as long theoretically because you're only using them approximately half the year each, so as long as they don't age out ( tires are good for 6 to 10 years usually).
I don't have all-season tires, I have all-weather. There's a difference and very little information out there comparing all-weather to winter. The only thing I could find was a Consumer Report and the Nokian WRG3 ranked #10 out of 10 in winter tires, it's not a winter tire, so I guess it could barely hang with the big boys.

Where I live, I'll need the tires for maybe 3 months. I'm concerned about storing them. I get that tires are cheaper than fixing my car (not really since I have insurance), but not having $600 is an issue also.

Old 07-28-2017, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
instead of true snow tires, or relying on old style chains, check these out and see if they might work for you;

https://www.amazon.com/Safety-Chains...ds=tire+chains

https://www.amazon.com/Chains-Car-Em...N8ZVJKPTNCM49D

https://www.amazon.com/Security-Chai...N8ZVJKPTNCM49D

Thanks. I'll look into these and see how they are. May be a good alternative while I save up for tires.

Old 07-28-2017, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supton View Post
I had WRG2's, and didn't care for them. Wore fast, noisy at the end, and didn't seem to do anything all that well. A true compromise tire. With those tires, I probably would need to time getting a new set every fall, or about every 30k.

At the moment my cars run General RT43's. Probably not quite as good snow traction, but when they are new, they seem decent. I toyed with just replacing every fall, but finally bit the bullet and got snows. Been too long to give a full A/B comparison but I've done plenty of driving on the RT43's in snow, and they get the job done.

But a real snow tire...
Yikes. I'm hoping they don't wear that fast. Granted, I only drive a few thousand miles a year. I would hope they last longer than that. And they are definitely louder, I do dislike that. Mine seemed to do well in snow though. Ice was so-so, but better than my old Conti DWS.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive