Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 08:28 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,261,035 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Pretty sure that reason is safety. If they get into a collision, they want to make sure that they get less damage to their vehicle (and by extension, its occupants) than the vehicle they collide with. In conversations I've had with behemoth owners, it's a recurring theme.
Yeah, and of course It's the person in the smaller car's fault that they drive the smaller car.

Large cars are only safer in he context of hitting other cars. I think self driving cars will mean everything gets downsized.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2017, 08:37 AM

3,497 posts, read 2,656,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
People should be able to drive what they want to drive. Why should the listen to what YOU want? Ride a bike if you feel that way. We are becoming more, and more energy independent thanks to Trump. We get a small percentage of our oil from the middle east anyway.

Liberals always want to control what others do because of their own shortcomings. Get a life.
LMAO, I’m sure you meant to say Obama, because the current moron has not done anything for the economy, energy or healthcare, except to congratulate himself for a job not done.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:00 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I don't know, I remember when gas was $4 a gallon, a still saw a lot of guys in jacked up trucks romping on the peddle without a care in the world.
The price of cigarettes went up due to higher taxes on them, but yet, it's obvious it's still not curtailing people from buying them. People will just cut back somewhere else. My family, when in a crisis, will just cut back on eating out, our groceries, buying nice clothes, shoes and accessories, and going out of town on our vacations.

Old 07-30-2017, 09:10 AM

10,443 posts, read 4,030,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cekkk View Post
Oh, don't you know? They're bad for the environment. And driving them around just leads to another polar bear drowning! Your time would be better spent learning how to get by with just one square off your TP roll.
Funny, same people spouting about the environment, and look up to their heroes in Hollywood and Washington, ignore the fact that they all drive massive SUV's, fly in private jets, and live in expensive mansions that take a lot of energy to keep going (be it the lawnmower and weed eaters keeping the grounds neat and tidy, the electric that is burned to keep the place lit, cool in the summer, warm in the winter, etc)

People are just so ignorant to the facts that in the end, the rich and powerful, no matter their political background, really don't care about you!

Old 07-30-2017, 09:19 AM

23,512 posts, read 23,986,796 times
Demand would drop for the vehicles which get lower MPG. When gas was a $4-$5 a gallon in 2008, SUV demand plummeted.

Old 07-30-2017, 10:16 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,580,581 times
I don't care where gas prices go, I'm keeping my Silverado and my Jeep Wrangler.

Old 07-30-2017, 11:41 AM

35,000 posts, read 16,964,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAAN View Post
If something drastic happened like back to back cat 4/5 hurricanes in the gulf or the wrong middle east country gets angry and gas went back to $3-4 and stayed there, would there still be a strong demand for Crossovers, SUV's and Pick Ups or would this send people back to Full Size Sedans or the return of Station Wagons?
If its and buts were candies and nuts we'd have a great Christmas. The U.S. and Canada are collectively net exporters so that's not bloody likely.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:09 PM

876 posts, read 812,623 times
If gas prices go back up to over $4 per gallon, you'll see people driving fewer miles, but there will always be pickups, SUVs and larger vehicles. Even at $5 per gallon, gas is probably not a huge component of the average household budget.

Many people like the idea of sitting up higher in a heavy 2 to 2 1/2 ton vehicle. They feel like they and their families will be better protected than if in a small car. So if it comes at the price of 10 mpg, so be it.

Personally I don't care what other people drive until the day comes that the government mandates what kind of vehicles we have to buy. Not looking forward to living in the world of autonomous vehicles, but it seems to be coming whether we need / want it.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:10 PM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
So, you want to drive a coal powered car then? Ok, get what you want, its a somewhat free country.
Maybe you should research battery technology, as it's advancing at a very quick rate- bringing costs way down as well as size. That should quickly reduce costs even more in a few more years, leading to greater possibilities of mass-marketed vehicles that are produced at a lower cost. Most of the electricity grid is now natural gas, nuclear, and renewable sources. Coal will be at around 25% or less within a few years as it doesn't compete in price and is is high carbon compared to all other sources.

Old 07-30-2017, 12:11 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,803,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccm123 View Post
Demand would drop for the vehicles which get lower MPG. When gas was a $4-$5 a gallon in 2008, SUV demand plummeted.
I think that the plummet was more about the Great Recession than about fuel prices. Fuel going from $2 to $4 is trivial for a person driving the average miles per year.

All cars sales dropped during the Great Recession, not just SUVs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive