Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2017, 04:22 PM

21 posts, read 15,278 times

Advertisements

Nothing wrong with driving an appliance, problem happens when people who own them attempt to mod these vehicles for looks and performance lol when manufacturers go out of their way to make these car look more "fun"

perfect example is the new civic and camry
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2017, 04:48 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaxRhapsody View Post
I don't see my CVPI as an appliance. With a v8, proper drivtrain layout, the thing can get pretty rowdy, especially with the abs/tc dissabled.
I guess we have a different definition of "rowdy" The CVPI's ancient V8 put out only 250hp, which enables the boat-like CV to meander to 60 mph in well over 8 seconds. As a point of reference, the CPVI is outgunned by everything from minivans (the 2017 Sienna does the deed in 7 seconds flat), hybrid econoboxes (2017 Chevy Volt: 7.5 seconds), and work trucks (F150 XLT extended cab 4X4 2.7 Ecoboost V6 - 5.7 seconds). The Vic is the very definition of an appliance.

Not that there's anything wrong with appliances. Sometimes I wish I could be content with something like a Corolla, but I'm just not wired that way. I actually bought a new 2009 Corolla. I had it for about 6 months. It was utterly miserable in every possible way.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:49 PM

13,654 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
Where are you driving that rowdy V8? To the Home Depot? LOL
There is of course plenty of opportunity for situational comedy, of usage of a tool mismatched for the intended task. But it should also be admitted, that not all of us live in large cities, or deal with rush hour traffic, or otherwise are subjected to the impositions of congestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Mitch View Post
...You do have a point, though, that heavy urban traffic is less obnoxious in a Camry with a slushbox, than it is in a real car, a real car works really poorly in such conditions.
My own impression is that the key discriminators between a car that does alright in heavy traffic, and one that is noxiously unpleasant, is (1) the air conditioning, and (2) the weight of the clutch. A heavy clutch is very unpleasant in stop-and go traffic. A light one (Corolla, Miata, or even stock E36 3-series BMW) is OK. And a strong air conditioner speaks for itself. 20-30 years ago, this was the domain of luxury cars. Today, any new-ish vehicle in good condition will suffice.

Old 07-31-2017, 04:56 PM

604 posts, read 653,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
I guess we have a different definition of "rowdy" The CVPI's ancient V8 put out only 250hp, which enables the boat-like CV to meander to 60 mph in well over 8 seconds. As a point of reference, the CPVI is outgunned by everything from minivans (the 2017 Sienna does the deed in 7 seconds flat), hybrid econoboxes (2017 Chevy Volt: 7.5 seconds), and work trucks (F150 XLT extended cab 4X4 2.7 Ecoboost V6 - 5.7 seconds). The Vic is the very definition of an appliance.

Not that there's anything wrong with appliances. Sometimes I wish I could be content with something like a Corolla, but I'm just not wired that way. I actually bought a new 2009 Corolla. I had it for about 6 months. It was utterly miserable in every possible way.
did the same with a brand new Camry SE 2014.

Bought it on logic (reliability, lifetime warranty powertrain, mileage) but ended up hating it with passion...sold it at loss to see it gone within 6 months and got a second hand 335 instead for same money.

I'm still smiling...

Old 07-31-2017, 06:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,591 times
Quote:
In a different thread, someone posted the below quote:

This got me thinking. What's wrong with driving an "appliance?"

I'm a regular person with regular auto needs. I need a regular car. Call it an "appliance" all you want. I would assert that "appliances" are the backbone of the American auto market. We like driving them.

So instead of denigrating these cars, why not praise and appreciate them. It's cars like theses that are instrumental to regular lives.

Are there any other "appliance" drivers who aren't ashamed of their vehicles?

Let me argue from the other point of view.

Both my vehicles that I own have deep sentimental value to me and I take great pride in caring for/maintaining them, I want everything to be as good as it can be and have to fix any little quirk I notice right away. Religiously check my fluids and tire pressure, as well as regularly wash them. To me, a car is nothing but a bunch of parts that can be replaced, the only thing that kills a car for me is rust, and I mean rusted to the point of not being worth fixing.

I want to know my vehicles like the back of my hand, and can't stand the thought of getting a new one. I laugh at people who say "My cars having too many problems, I'm just going to get a new one" because getting a new car is trading one set of problems for another. As a mechanic, I know that cars always have and always will break, so the idea of having "a car that never needs worked on" is an impossible fantasy.

With my vehicles, I know EVERYTHING that has been done to them (because I'm the one that did it) and have no reason to doubt its reliability, even though it is a nearly 16 year old car. I see no need to "reinvent the wheel" and start from scratch with another car with a whole bunch of unknown problems, and if its a new car all the bugs they are still ironing out.

And speaking of appliances, I'm also very attached to my appliances and would MUCH rather fix them than replace them. Case in point, my microwave was made in 1987 and very recently the magnetron went out. Everyone else would have ran to Walmart and bought a new microwave, but I know the one I have is WAY better than any cheap Chinese POS made today that won't last 5 years, so I bought a new magnetron and it's working great again (That's they ONLY thing that's gone wrong with it in its entire life).

Last edited by jimmy12345678; 07-31-2017 at 07:02 PM..

Old 07-31-2017, 06:50 PM

9,437 posts, read 7,369,351 times
Quote:
In a different thread, someone posted the below quote:

This got me thinking. What's wrong with driving an "appliance?"

I'm a regular person with regular auto needs. I need a regular car. Call it an "appliance" all you want. I would assert that "appliances" are the backbone of the American auto market. We like driving them.

So instead of denigrating these cars, why not praise and appreciate them. It's cars like theses that are instrumental to regular lives.

Are there any other "appliance" drivers who aren't ashamed of their vehicles?
The best selling vehicles are pickups by a wide margin, "appliance" cars are not the backbone of the American auto market. Why denigrate them? Because they're boring, dull, soulless and driven by people who seem to view driving as a necessary evil and they're terrible at it. Cars don't have to be boring dull appliances so there's nothing wrong with looking down on ones ta are.

Old 07-31-2017, 08:42 PM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
There is nothing wrong with an appliance.

Its like any other appliance. No one talks about their GE Electric Range that they bought from Lowes. They do talk about their $9,000 Viking that they installed in their gourmet kitchen.

Just like a corolla is a bland appliance, but people talk about the experience in their driving experience in an M3.

Old 07-31-2017, 11:27 PM

876 posts, read 813,348 times
I wouldn't look down my nose at anyone for driving an "appliance." Even the rich have their daily cars, but they're Mercedes, BMW, Porsche, Land Rovers, etc. I drive a Honda, a real ghetto car compared to my neighbors.

Old 08-01-2017, 03:30 AM

2,913 posts, read 2,048,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
It depends on your audience. People who come here to talk about cars are generally enthusiasts. People who just want an appliance car - there is nothing to talk about. One is pretty much the same as the others. To a driving or car enthusiast discussing appliance cars is like going to a chefs convention or a food connoisseur group and saying you only like to eat hot dogs on wonder bread buns when you eat out.

Yes the hot dog will provide the calories you need, but it is not something exciting to eat. "Oh boy I had a hot dog today" is the equivalent of syaing "I got to drive a Toyota Corolla today!"
This. Nothing wrong with an appliance driver or a luxury car driver.

It's one thing I have noticed on most automotive forums. A lot of those "appliance" drivers tend to berate and chastise those who tend to spend a more money on luxury/sports cars. More so than the other way around. As long as they can afford it and the money isn't coming out of your pocket, who cares what kind of car they spend THEIR money on?!

Old 08-01-2017, 07:31 AM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
Why is either "side" berating the other? They're cars. They aren't that important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive