Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 AM

15,194 posts, read 10,158,323 times

Advertisements

Ran over a huge decorative rock in front of my office. Low blood sugar attack. I was 19. Had to call a tow truck. The best was I worked for an insurance company at the time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2017, 08:39 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,393,156 times
I was turning into a private lot with those one way spikes where if you back up your tires get shredded. As I was pulling in this guy on a bike was getting ready to cross in front of me inside the private lot. Being the nice guy I am I decided to back up a little to give him more space, but I forgot one crucial thing.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:00 AM

18,923 posts, read 43,211,623 times
I was towing a 5x8 trailer with my 02 Explorer once, I got in a hurry and totally forgot it was behind me while I was backing up... it jack knifed into the rear quarter panel denting it all up.

A couple years later I did it again with my Tundra, but luckily that time it just put a crease in the bumper which was easier to fix.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:02 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,431,915 times
smacked a garage wall the third day I had my 370Z, was parking trying to get close to the edge and my fat foot hit the gas by accident. No dents but a lot of what looks like rock chips, never ended up fixing it

Old 08-01-2017, 09:22 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,330,237 times
My son did a brake job on my old Camaro Z28 a few years ago. He left the floor jack sitting behind the car. I got in without walking around behind it first and backed over the jack. The handle went through the wheel well and bent the gas tank filled tube all to hell. Really made me mad because it was perfect. I had had it for 17 years and it was still pretty much like new until then.

I was able to more or less bend the filler tube back into place although it tended to trip the auto shut off a lot at gas stations after that. I had to buy a new wheel well and some other parts, to cost about $500 plus a lot of time. Thanks for the free labor son. I never blamed him though. It was as much my fault as his. Normally I take the two steps to look behind my car every time I get in where I will be backing up. You never know when a cat or chicken or a board with nails in it may be taking a nap int he shade from the car. I do not know why I didn't on that day. Must have been in a hurry. At least it did not damage the jack, those things cost $100 - $200.

Old 08-01-2017, 09:49 AM

712 posts, read 831,298 times
Backed into large oak tree at edge of driveway, smashing taillight & denting bumper, on my Explorer; ripping bark off half-way around the tree.
This is after berating my wife for backing into same tree 6 mos earlier (TWICE) with our huge NEW Express van, bending its rear bumper(1st time), and flattening rear quarter panel(2nd time).
Somehow we lived there 9 years before any of this happened. 'Blind' spots on both vehicles.
The tree survived her 'attack'. It did not survive mine (ripped too much bark/sapwood off).
Tree was removed that fall (made for lotsa nice firewood . . .) .

Old 08-01-2017, 09:52 AM

5,615 posts, read 5,749,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
I was towing a 5x8 trailer with my 02 Explorer once, I got in a hurry and totally forgot it was behind me while I was backing up... it jack knifed into the rear quarter panel denting it all up.

A couple years later I did it again with my Tundra, but luckily that time it just put a crease in the bumper which was easier to fix.
BTDT!!! I had my chains fixed to keep that from happening, but I forgot that I had taken them off. (Long story why) Backed out of my mother in laws driveway and heard a thunk, and thought it was just the chains. I walked back to make sure the chains were on, and they werent, but I didnt think anything about it. Two days later, Im staring out the window and just happen to see the damage to the bed.

I was waxing my Mustang, and had forgotten to switch the pads, and it left the paint dull. I didnt notice for several days as I dont drive it every day, but I saw it and just about threw up it made me so sick. Took it to my buddy who use to detail cars, fixed it right up!

Old 08-01-2017, 10:08 AM

54,465 posts, read 33,753,310 times
Back in my teen years in mid 1970s when I started driving, I wanted to change the air filter on the 1967 Chrysler I had back then, the engine was running and I removed the metal filter housing cover, and placed it on top of the battery, and... well you know what happens when both battery terminals touch a conductive surface... KABOOM! Both caps on the battery popped out and acid spewed out of the battery like a geyser. Thankfully, it was the cover itself that protected me from the acid.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:39 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,789,376 times
I curbed my nice 20" rims making a tight right turn at a business park. Low profile means less rubber to meet the curb first. I am now extra careful even going through drive-thrus. Tall curbs are intimidating.

Old 08-01-2017, 10:51 AM

2,205 posts, read 3,310,624 times
I wanted to park the car into a very small curbside parking slot when a citybus appeared behind me, so I was getting nervous to make the road free for the bus, backed in too fast and overlooked a lamppost right behind me. Kicked an ugly dent into my parents Audi.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive