Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 05:58 PM

2,609 posts, read 2,189,705 times

Advertisements

It was time to pull the sail boat off the lift for the season at the small marina, had about 4 lifts and 10bouys. That year the water in the lake was very low and we couldn't get the lift low enough to get boat off. The water was about 1-1 1/2" a far way out and the lake bottom was solid so let's drive the SUV out to the lift, pull boat off lift onto trailer . I mean we have 4-wheel drive that should work, right!!! Seemed to be working fine for a bit, did get boat on trailer. Then noticed SVU was deeper in water. It was sinking and wheel just spun and went deeper and was going deeper by the second. There was a guy watching all this offered to help for a $150, really had no other options, time was of the essence. He happened to have a winch of his truck. Pulled SUV, trailer with boat out of the lake. I ask him when he finished how many that day, he just laughed and said a lot.

Had all fluids changed just in case. Didn't shut off engine when in water, the exhaust pipe was underwater. Didn't seem to be any damage, were very lucky.

Lesson learned.

Last edited by Izzie1213; 08-07-2017 at 06:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2017, 10:32 AM

18,547 posts, read 15,584,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
I'm five months into ownership of my first pickup truck, 2014 Ram 1500 Big Horn Crew Cab. A couple of nights ago I turned into the chinese restaurant I've been going to regularly for 17 years. I decided I wanted to run over the rock instead of around it. My passenger side running board now has a slight bow in it. Yup, I'm happy. I'll blame age (57) and carelessness for that one, and not yet knowing the turning radius.

Several years ago I parked in a lot next to a light pole. For one not sure why I had to back up to leave, but I didn't see that big round cement base holding the light up, so I backed right into it. That left a mark.

That's two I can think of right now.
Anybody can blame their age. If you're 22, you can say you are youthful and inexperienced. If you are 40, you can say you are at your most stressful years and can't think straight because you have too much responsibility and too little sleep. And then at 57, you can say you're getting up there.

Therefore we all can use age as an excuse.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:47 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,055,061 times
Was home alone on a hot Saturday afternoon and ordered a pizza for pick-up.

Got about 10 feet down my street and realized I forgot my wallet on the bench in the garage.

Pulled into the driveway and popped open the garage door but thought I'd just jump out and grab the wallet...why pull all the way into the garage?

Well somehow also thought it was a good idea to leave the tranny in 'N' instead of 'P' and set the handbrake.

Car started rolling back down the driveway toward a retaining wall...I chase after it...quickly unset and rest the handbrake so harshly the cable snapped.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:01 AM

5,456 posts, read 6,049,852 times
1984 Honda Accord
Yakima roof mounted bike rack attached firmly to the drip rails.
Serotta custom titanium bike firmly fastened to the Yakima
Long trip completed, 8 ft. Garage door opened thanks to wireless opener.

You can probably guess the rest of the story!!!!!!!!!!

The particulars:
1. 100 dollars damage to Yakima rack
2. 700 dollars worth of damage to the roof of the Accord
3. Irrepairable chips in brick work on house above garage door
4. 1200 dollars worth of damage to Serotta frameset and Campy shifters.
4. Non-restorable damage to my driving reputation with wife. (she still reminds me 30+ years later)

Old 08-10-2017, 06:41 AM

6,009 posts, read 6,665,602 times
Dumbest thing I've ever done was to trust an rv tech who told me the 5th wheel toyhauler they sold me could be towed by a short bed truck. I was relying on him to watch my cab while I made the turn out of their parking lot instead of measuring and checking myself. I quickly realized that was the wrong idea when I heard a squealing and got out to find the nose of the trailer had almost shattered my back glass. I have a nice dent in the cab corner as a reminder (and I left the camper on their lot).

My wife has a habit of not paying attention when she is driving and has managed to hit the only concrete pole in an empty parking garage when she though her turning radius was better than it was. She came home with yellow paint on a tan bumper and tried to pretend that she didn't know what it was a few days later when I saw it. When we got to that parking garage next time, I drove her car over and the paint matched up perfectly with the location on her bumper. She eventually told me what she did.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:50 AM

8,063 posts, read 12,779,194 times
My parking brake gave out when I was unlocking the gate to my driveway (it is on a hill). The truck rolled about 20 feet and hit a tree. It busted out the tail light and left a huge dent.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:59 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,530,989 times
I once went to pry up on a panel on my truck. Screwdriver slipped out of my hand, and since I was placing downward pressure on the handle it flipped up. Hit the windshield and cracked it. So I get pissed and throw the screwdriver out the passenger side door window. Unfortunately the passenger side window was up when I threw the screwdriver. You seen videos where cops or people try to smash a side window with batons or hammers and they can't break it? Well I want one of those windows because my window must of been made of confection sugar cause it cracked up like a sheet of crystal meth.
Not only that but I had to explain to my wife why not only do we need to replace a windshield but we need to replace a passenger door window. So I told her. And she just looked at me with that "you can't be that stupid" look on her face. I think she just walked away. I don't remember. But I remember "the look" lol right now thinking about it
But in the bright side, I stopped losing my cool hen faced with a difficult situation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive