Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2017, 01:08 PM

127,513 posts, read 11,752,764 times

Advertisements

Plus maps are getting hard to find, for small places, which is where ewe really need them. I do like maps as well as gps. I like to have an idea in my head to verify the gps, as sometimes she goes wonky. There is one section we drive through & she goes berserk lol, keeps telling us to turn left, even though we are a stretch of freeway with no exits, let alone left turns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2017, 01:19 PM

20,867 posts, read 23,388,522 times
They have bailed me out several times which is why I still have them. One time was up in the mountains at a remote campsite. I locked my keys in the car, called them and about 2 hours later a guy showed up and unlocked my door for me. It took him a bit to find us but he did.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:10 PM

4,294 posts, read 7,159,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
In my area, you see tow trucks all over the place that have the AAA Texas logo emblazoned all over them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
And you think that means AAA owns them?

You see the MC/VISA logos all over the windows of restaurants too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
Here too, but AAA doesn't own the trucks, they contract with individual tow drivers, my nephew owns a tow company and he negotiates several contracts every year, including AAA. If he doesn't get the AAA contract he would have to take the decals off of his trucks
That makes sense 2sleepy. I can't imagine rescue vehicles so prominently displaying the AAA logo making service calls for competitors.

Old 08-02-2017, 03:52 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,038,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ged_782 View Post
That makes sense 2sleepy. I can't imagine rescue vehicles so prominently displaying the AAA logo making service calls for competitors.
Your lack of imagination notwithstanding, what makes you think AAA contracts are exclusive? That a store displays a MC logo does not mean they can't display a VISA or Amex logo too. Didn't you see the part where he negotiates several contracts per year?

Old 08-02-2017, 03:58 PM

604 posts, read 642,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So my AAA plus membership is up for renewal for $122. Every year I wonder if there is a better deal out there. We now have two brand new cars and they might have come with some form of roadside assistance, Still, I prefer to have my own.
Why would you waste your money since all new cars have at least 3 years equivalent (or better) than what AAA offers?
Also your insurance company probably offers an equivalent deal to AAA for a lot less.

Only reason I had AAA years back was hardcopy maps, but GPS and phone apps made it useless for me.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:15 PM

28,107 posts, read 63,374,410 times
Because you need to be a member to have AAA Insurance.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:27 PM

4,294 posts, read 7,159,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
Your lack of imagination notwithstanding, what makes you think AAA contracts are exclusive? That a store displays a MC logo does not mean they can't display a VISA or Amex logo too. Didn't you see the part where he negotiates several contracts per year?
Apples and oranges comparison. Multiple major credit cards are a nearly universally accepted form of payment from customers of merchants, and as a result the merchants get to display those logos at their businesses/point of sale, so the customer knows up front those particular forms of payment are indeed accepted there.

Motorists usually subscribe to a single roadside service provider (if any at all), and AAA seems to be the big dog. What if they pay annual fees to something like "All American Roadside Service", but the truck shows up with AAA Texas logos plastered all over it, and the driver has the AAA logo on his shirt, to boot? What would All American corporate think of their providers showing up with a competitor's uniform and logo displayed all over the place?

Now, I realize in some regions (especially smaller markets), roadside service responders may handle more than one roadside service company. Just telling you what I see in my area. I would expect them not to show favoritism to any particular company if they contract with more than one. I would expect them to display logos of all the companies they service, or not display them at all.

Old 08-02-2017, 04:43 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,038,145 times
While you can go on and on about what you would think or would expect, do you have any data that an AAA contract wrecker is limited to contracts with AAA? Or that it is even commonplace? Everything I've read indicate wreckers typically have contracts with multiple clubs, and typically grumble that AAA pays the lowest rates and gets serviced last.

Here's a wiki on beoming an AAA contractor and I see nothing about limits to other contracts or displaying other logos.
How to Become an AAA Towing Contractor: 10 Steps (with Pictures)

Old 08-02-2017, 05:14 PM

7,719 posts, read 6,270,991 times
$100 here in FL, I plan on dropping it.

Old 08-02-2017, 05:19 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,454,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
So my AAA plus membership is up for renewal for $122. Every year I wonder if there is a better deal out there. We now have two brand new cars and they might have come with some form of roadside assistance, Still, I prefer to have my own.
It's a form of insurance. And speaking of which, you probably have it with your automobile coverage. Call your agent. Generally you may have to arrange for towing then get reimbursed. AAA has a network which responds more quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive