Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 03:46 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times

Advertisements

Tessa's contribution has been what Apple did to the cell industry. If it weren't for them we'd all be using flip phones or Blackberries still.

Apple sells a lot of iPhones still but there are various manufacturers now like Samsung and LG that make comparable or better devices.

Their cars are well designed outside and very forward thinking inside. Look at any new car and they look similar to where they were a decade ago, outside and in. I applaud them for making a concept car real.

I think traditional manufacturers will take a hint and hopefully take some chances on a minimalist interior like Tesla has done. Electric cars sound great on paper but in practice there are millions of people around the world who don't have garages they park at. VAG has come up with a liquid cooled 800v charger that can charge relatively fast but, in their words, is "quite expensive". Not to mention serious questions about battery lifespan impact. Newer solid state batteries may change things but they are at least five years away at best.

I drive a very old car and quite frankly cannot get even remotely excited about anything on the market, it will take highway autopilot and adaptative cruise control to even get me to look. Currently in the US that exists only on the high end cars like Mercedes S series and Volvo's XC90.

Last edited by wheelsup; 08-03-2017 at 03:54 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 05:17 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,011,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCresident2014 View Post
Good for them. It's sad that it took a startup with limited resources to show the automotive world that electric cars don't have to be ugly to get decent range.

I'm looking DIRECTLY AT YOU, CHEVROLET BOLT.
Yeah, good for them when they bring in out of the country workers, lie to immigration all to pay 'em pennies on the dollar as slaves to build their factory in Fremont. Yep, good for them. Personally I hope they fail. Lying jackals!
Same thing with Mercedes,BMW and Volvo with their American plants.

Quote:
A report from Mercury News claims that workers from Eastern Europe, mostly from Croatia and Slovenia, were brought in to the U.S. using nonimmigrant visas for tourism and business, also called a B1/B2, and paid the equivalent of $5 an hour while their American counterparts were earning up to $52 an hour. The workers claim that this setup is not uncommon, with many of them saying that they have worked in other parts of the U.S. under the same terms.

This type of a work visa is alright for supervisory positions, but the workers were in charge of installing pipes and welding different parts, both hands-on jobs that are not allowed according to the terms of the B1/B2 visa. “We have concluded that there is widespread abuse of the B1 visa in the Bay Area,” Michael Eastwood, assistant district director of the San Jose area office of the U.S. Department of Labor told Mercury News.
Tesla Accused of Paying Foreign Workers $5 an Hour to Expand Factory » AutoGuide.com News

Old 08-03-2017, 05:46 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Tessa's contribution has been what Apple did to the cell industry. If it weren't for them we'd all be using flip phones or Blackberries still.

Apple sells a lot of iPhones still but there are various manufacturers now like Samsung and LG that make comparable or better devices.

Their cars are well designed outside and very forward thinking inside. Look at any new car and they look similar to where they were a decade ago, outside and in. I applaud them for making a concept car real.

I think traditional manufacturers will take a hint and hopefully take some chances on a minimalist interior like Tesla has done. Electric cars sound great on paper but in practice there are millions of people around the world who don't have garages they park at. VAG has come up with a liquid cooled 800v charger that can charge relatively fast but, in their words, is "quite expensive". Not to mention serious questions about battery lifespan impact. Newer solid state batteries may change things but they are at least five years away at best.

I drive a very old car and quite frankly cannot get even remotely excited about anything on the market, it will take highway autopilot and adaptative cruise control to even get me to look. Currently in the US that exists only on the high end cars like Mercedes S series and Volvo's XC90.
I think their interiors are their biggest weakness. Not only is it bland and boring and does not scream "$40k", but staring at the center console for any bit of driving info is an ergonomic nightmare. Especially for shorter drivers who will essentially be staring at an IPad from the side for the entire ride.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:54 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
I think their interiors are their biggest weakness. Not only is it bland and boring and does not scream "$40k", but staring at the center console for any bit of driving info is an ergonomic nightmare. Especially for shorter drivers who will essentially be staring at an IPad from the side for the entire ride.
It's certainly odd there is no HUD. It needs it. I'm surprised the car is certified or approved for sale or whatever with the single screen. I can see their point - driving in autonomous mode one doesn't really need it, but that car on the lower level packages won't have autonomous driving.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:01 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,828,984 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k6GeHnMwl1c

Old 08-03-2017, 09:28 PM

25,573 posts, read 17,286,360 times
Musk is a scam artist.

He gets billions from the government and the taxpayer, and has figured out a way to keep some of it. He manufactures a car for $70,000, sells it for $50,000 and somehow there is change left over.

Now he wants us to give him money so we can all go to mars.
And he wants us to give him money to that he can build a teletransporter.

Enron ain't got nothin' on Elon Musk.

Old 08-04-2017, 02:31 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
It's certainly odd there is no HUD. It needs it. I'm surprised the car is certified or approved for sale or whatever with the single screen. I can see their point - driving in autonomous mode one doesn't really need it, but that car on the lower level packages won't have autonomous driving.
Toyota Yaris and Prius have been doing the cheap, center console gauges for years. It screams "low budget" .

Even if it was fully autonomous, I want the dashboard to look like the bridge of the Starship Enterprise.
I'm not sure how we got to the point where gauges in front of the driver became a luxury feature that you can't have even at $40k.
With the range shortened to 200 miles and without Autopilot, there's pretty much no point to owning this car. I know the Tesla fanboys will simply learn to like it as they like to allow Elon to think for them, but if he wants to sell 500k per year; he's going to start running out of fanboys.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
I dont mind the idea of an electric vehicle but living in the city with onstreet parking as my only option i have no place to plug the car in to charge the batteries,until that problem is solved i'll stick with my economical Yaris.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:49 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gg View Post
Because rich people have to subsidize poor people for every day living all the time, so maybe we should be thrown a bone now and again.
Rich folks get there by magic, I guess? Generally poor folks stay poor giving them more than enough bones.

Old 08-06-2017, 08:54 AM

3,503 posts, read 7,499,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC211 View Post
Tesla cars upend the industry? No way.

Tesla technology that is used in the cars? Maybe, if they can get a strong enough foothold that would force the competition to invest to compete to entice a second look of consideration.

I certainly hope the days of 10mpg gas pigs are behind us, and we continue down this path of cleaner innovation in the automotive sector, to a point of perfecting it whereby we're not burning up so much natural resources or loading up the atmosphere with the crap. Would be nice.
What do you mean? Most vehicles that are OBD2 compliant are ULEV rated at a minimum. My F150 is ULEV rated and nets me about 20 MPGs.

As for "burning up so much natural resources", where do you think the power for electric crapboxes comes from?

Out of sight, out of mind, I reckon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive