Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2017, 07:49 AM

4,690 posts, read 10,418,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
It's still part of the driver's test in New York State; where are the places it's not?
Wasn't on my test, in the 1980's, in Wyoming. I basically backed out from a pull-in parking spot, circled the block and pulled back into the same parking spot. Thankfully my dad was MUCH more rigorous.

I can still do it well enough for only needing to call on that skill once every 3~4 years. Heck, I even pulled out a left-side parking without ever testing it, on a busy one-way where I had traffic behind me, and nailed it first go (well, I was a little wonky with the front in a touch too far and didn't bother to Austin Powers it till I was perfectly parallel).

My wife can not, and will not even try. Not really an issue as she only drivers herself to work and her folks place. Everywhere else I'm driving and we're together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2017, 08:14 AM

35,062 posts, read 17,006,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Curiously a lot of people can't parallel park. Some say they are afraid to damage the rims, some say it is just too much work. Where i live you got to parallel park because that's 99% parking.
It was the hardest part of learning to pass the NYS Driver's License test. I'm now moderately good at it.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:17 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
I'm really good at it, but I still avoid it.
Because other people are not very good at it.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:37 AM

8,691 posts, read 11,078,805 times
I noticed quite a handful of drivers (noticeably females) are lazy to turn their heads. As a result parallel parking is a challenging

Old 08-03-2017, 08:45 AM

279 posts, read 593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by survivingearth View Post
Curiously a lot of people can't parallel park. Some say they are afraid to damage the rims, some say it is just too much work. Where i live you got to parallel park because that's 99% parking.
I've only ever done it between orange cones.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:48 AM

5,718 posts, read 7,258,832 times
After spending my days dealing with the geometry of intersecting compound curvature, the geometry involved in parallel parking is easy.

Old 08-03-2017, 08:51 AM

279 posts, read 593,450 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I seem to remember hearing a while back that Minnesota was taking it off of their test.

I think that is stupid. You never know when you might need to know how. Just about every house in my neighborhood lacks a driveway, so you move here you don't have a choice about performing the maneuver.

I think parallel parking, backing into a parking spot and 3-point turns should be mandatory on every test.
Just because you can do it for the test doesn't mean you can actually do it. I parallel parked for my test, but haven't done it since.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:05 AM

6,915 posts, read 3,950,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
Just because you can do it for the test doesn't mean you can actually do it. I parallel parked for my test, but haven't done it since.
And like I already stated, I parallel park every time I come home from being out, because there is no off-street parking on my block. There are very few houses in my neighborhood that have driveways and/or garages, in fact.

There's more to "driving a car" than just forward and stopping. Some of us choose to become more proficient drivers by being prepared to handle a vehicle in any given situation... and some of us don't.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:22 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
I park it like a champ.

At one of my summer internships in college the only parking available for my residence was street level parallel parking. Which meant I had to do it every afternoon after returning from work. By the end of the summer it was easy.

Old 08-03-2017, 09:26 AM

2,218 posts, read 4,371,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
I think parallel parking, backing into a parking spot and 3-point turns should be mandatory on every test.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BangBangShrimp View Post
Just because you can do it for the test doesn't mean you can actually do it.
Correct. But demonstrating that you are proficient at those three maneuvers shows a basic mastery of controlling a car in low-speed situations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive