Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 02:33 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,605,154 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueherons View Post
Go to a pay phone and make an anonymous phone call.

Give them Al's tag number and tell them you saw a very elderly gentleman driving erratically and say you followed him to what you think is his home and give them his address.
As much as I agree something needs to be done, I don't think it's right to make up a lie like that. You shouldn't accuse someone of doing something they didn't do.

OP, if I were you I'd call the local health dept and tell them about the man, explain to them that he lives alone and that you're concerned about his well being. Hopefully they will perform a welfare check and ask him how he gets groceries, see how he cleans his house, etc...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 02:42 PM

7,777 posts, read 6,385,415 times
Phone the DMV in your state and explain the situation stating that being anonymous is imperative. If he has a license they can call him in for a retest. If he doesn't the police can impound his car. Either way he is off the road.

What he really needs is family to look after him. It is possible he does not have anyone, or they may live in some remote location that he can not afford or tolerate.

Old 08-04-2017, 03:32 PM

31,909 posts, read 26,970,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If I'm not in the right place here, I'm sure someone will tell me.

'Al' is almost 92, on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk without his walker. He has current tags on his car, but he can't get a DL because he's had two incidences where he has passed out in a grocery parking lot, and the EMTs had to be called.

I think that if I turn him in, my name will be used, and Al will know who did it.

I've been told by my apartment manager, in pretty plain words, that I'll be evicted if I turn Al in. At this time, I'm not prepared to move because I am still healing up from knee surgery.

Does anyone have anything words to help me out here? I'm scared to death that he's going to kill himself or, worse, someone else.

Go to your state's DMV website and see if there is a way to anonymously report someone driving without a license.

This or make a telephone call to local LE (not from your own telephone), and tell them your observations. Let them take it from there, if nothing is done then that is really all you can do.

By all means do *NOT* get yourself visibly and actively involved. You have already been warned by your landlord of the consequences and repercussions of such actions.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:19 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
I disagree...

If you have an issue, stand up and be counted.

We have abandoned cars, trash dumpers and yes a old man with failing eyesight driving

In all cases I stood up and reported.

The old man had eye surgery and was able to later get a restricted license and since the problem was vision it was a win/win

Old 08-04-2017, 04:26 PM

17,307 posts, read 22,039,209 times
Quote:

'Al' is almost 92, on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk without his walker. He has current tags on his car, but he can't get a DL because he's had two incidences where he has passed out in a grocery parking lot, and the EMTs had to be called.

I think that if I turn him in, my name will be used, and Al will know who did it.

I've been told by my apartment manager, in pretty plain words, that I'll be evicted if I turn Al in. At this time, I'm not prepared to move because I am still healing up from knee surgery.

Does anyone have anything words to help me out here? I'm scared to death that he's going to kill himself or, worse, someone else.
Most license plates are tied to the owners Drivers License.....if he has no license the tags are invalid on the car.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:38 PM

9,504 posts, read 4,340,821 times
Quote:

How will you feel if said neighbor kills someone in a traffic accident? There's your answer.
If your property manager evicts you as a result, you'll be the proud new owner of the property in question. I'm not a fan of lawsuits, but you'd win this one.

Old 08-04-2017, 04:48 PM

Please remember absent Just Cause Eviction/Protected Class/Lease Term there is nothing preventing the property owner from asking you to leave and following through.

Private Property still means something in most of the country....

Old 08-04-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
Please remember absent Just Cause Eviction/Protected Class/Lease Term there is nothing preventing the property owner from asking you to leave and following through.

Private Property still means something in most of the country....
I'm going to go out on a limb and say that if the OP reports the elderly neighbor - who will very likely kill someone eventually - and is evicted by the landlord, the OP will win the resultant lawsuit. Being the owner of private property doesn't protect you from the consequences of making asinine decisions.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:05 PM

It sure does... the owner of a private property can even decide to go out of business and keep the rental empty... as asinine as that sounds but upheld by the court.

This is where the word "Owner" trumps...

Landlords choose all the time who lives in their rentals subject to existing laws.

People do not always behave rational and I have seen people sell a home simply because they didn't like the new neighbors or put through a large rent increase hoping the tenants will go elsewhere.

This is why it is called Private property.

Old 08-04-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
It sure does... the owner of a private property can even decide to go out of business and keep the rental empty... as asinine as that sounds but upheld by the court.

This is where the word "Owner" trumps...

Landlords choose all the time who lives in their rentals subject to existing laws.

People do not always behave rational and I have seen people sell a home simply because they didn't like the new neighbors or put through a large rent increase hoping the tenants will go elsewhere.

This is why it is called Private property.

Nope. Evicting someone simply because they reported someone who is breaking the law is not protected by ownership rights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive