Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times

Advertisements

If you deprive the elderly man of the probably one thing left in his life that lets him be independant, don't be surprised if he goes postal. He may decide he doesn't have a lot to lose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 06:28 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
Call it what you will...

Not renewing the lease, notice of rent increase, thirty day notice to vacate... all result in the same outcome.

This is why it is called renting and not owning... subject to Fair Housing Laws.

It is naive to think in most of the country a landlord does not have the right to decide to no longer do business with you... subject to Fair Housing Laws.

Absent Just Cause protection the property owner is not required to give any reason...

We will simply have to agree to disagree...

As stated in an earlier post... have the courage of your convictions based on what you know to be right and stand up and be counted... I have never anonymously reported anything and I have been called as a witness several times and one was extremely high profile... the DA came to my work to interview... not a staff lawyer... the DA... a person has the right to face their accuser... this is how our legal system works...

It is incumbent on the tenant to make the case for unlawful eviction under the Fair Housing Laws...

Old 08-04-2017, 06:34 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,837,332 times
you can "turn al in" anonymously. as for th apartment manager, if he starts eviction proceedings against you, fight them hard. and make him put down exactly why you re being evicted. DO NOT show your hand until you absolutely have to, like if you win your case and decide to sue his butt off for malicious prosecution. and while the procedure varies state to state, eviction is a tough row to how, and the tenant generally has a slight upper hand in the process.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:36 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,163,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javacoffee View Post
I'm fine with getting dangerous, elderly drivers off the road, but nobody is addressing what comes next. The elderly need to get out. If they have no children or family members to take them places, what are they supposed to do?

It's most cruel to make them homebound without considering their basic human needs.
They still make taxi's, ubers, and buses. Fortunately for some current elderly and even more for those becoming elderly soon, automation in automobiles is coming - probably within the next decade. That will help many.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux Hauler View Post
Do you think a ticket for driving w/o a license is going to stop "Al", the near-centenarian, from driving? Certainly wouldn't stop me. All you will end up doing is making an enemy(s). They can't seize his property, they can't lock him up unless he causes some damage. If he wants to drive, he will find a way to drive. Think you're protected from being evicted by "Al's" landlord friend? Think again, welcome to the real world, that "protection" is mere words on paper. I have several anecdotes of people being successfully booted by landlords that they did not get along with; when I rented, I became pretty friendly with the management and lets just say two tenants that I did not get along with, were ousted. Probably the best you can do is to try to contact his family, if you really care, you will find a way. Let THEM deal with THEIR family member.
They can and do seize plates. The will make his car immobile. And in most cities and apartments make it illegal to have on the street or property.

Old 08-04-2017, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
If you deprive the elderly man of the probably one thing left in his life that lets him be independant, don't be surprised if he goes postal. He may decide he doesn't have a lot to lose.
That's not a reason NOT to get a dangerous driver off the road.

Old 08-04-2017, 07:21 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,259,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
That's not a reason NOT to get a dangerous driver off the road.
Its a fair reason to not get id'ed as the informer

Old 08-04-2017, 09:52 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vision67 View Post
Teach Al how to use Uber.

And remove the valve stems from the tires on his car.
The guy probably still has a rotary landline. No way will he have a smart phone with the Uber app.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:01 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,586,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
Most license plates are tied to the owners Drivers License.....if he has no license the tags are invalid on the car.
Never heard of such a thing. If I don't have a driver's license, anyone else with a driver's license can drive my car with my permission.

Old 08-04-2017, 10:21 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,525,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern man View Post
Yes, that is what we got from the FIL but it was necessary. He would have wandered off and died or been killed in a wreck. He has no realization he is incompetent to drive even today at 99. He gets lost walking down the hall to breakfast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive