Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:28 PM

8,085 posts, read 5,243,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourwakeupcall View Post
nope. Evicting someone simply because they reported someone who is breaking the law is not protected by ownership rights.
+1.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2017, 11:39 PM

44,620 posts, read 61,578,192 times
OP, if you report him to the authorities your name will not be revealed.
Your landlord can be in serious trouble for what he said.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:10 AM

10,930 posts, read 11,717,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ContraPagan View Post
They can't evict you for something that has nothing to do with your lease or the apartment.

And I concur with recording the conversation should the subject come up again. That manager is making themselves an accessory should Al ever does get into an accident that hurts or kills someone.
Conspiracy to commit misprision of a felony, that's a new one on me.

Old 08-05-2017, 04:05 AM

8,272 posts, read 10,979,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
I've been told by my apartment manager, in pretty plain words, that I'll be evicted if I turn Al in. At this time, I'm not prepared to move because I am still healing up from knee surgery.
Three separate issues in post.

1. Busybody neighbor.

2. Elderly driving.

3. Evictions

The Busybody neighbor should get some hobbies and mind his/her own business. No one likes a sneak. No one likes a tattletale. No one like a rat fink.

The "elderly neighbor" may or may not have lost his license. No proof provided. Only hearsay information. That is an administrative matter or police matter. It is not the neighbors job to interpret or enforce the laws.

Apparently, the apartment/housing complex management knows all about the elderly driver. And possibly all in the apartment complex do.

Most folks living in an apartment complex, condo complex, or HOA don't appreciate those residents taking it upon themselves to arbitrarily "enforce" the rules.

The landlord already knows about the poster. Any landlord can get rid of a "problem" tenant by various means.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:40 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Hey maybe you can be a good neighbor and offer "Al" a ride if he needs to go anywhere.

How does your PM know you were planning on calling the law on "Al"?
I have offered -- repeatedly. My city also offers free transportation for the disabled to anywhere within the city limits (and the vans are very clean, very nice and almost always spot on time).

I told my PM -- that's how he knows. I live in a 55+ 'active' retirement apartment complex. At least half of the residents do not own a car and/or have given up their DL due to physical and/or cognitive impairment. And then there are the few like Al. But none of them are nearly as old as Al.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:48 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran66 View Post
If I'm not in the right place here, I'm sure someone will tell me.

'Al' is almost 92, on oxygen 24/7 and can't walk without his walker. He has current tags on his car, but he can't get a DL because he's had two incidences where he has passed out in a grocery parking lot, and the EMTs had to be called.

I think that if I turn him in, my name will be used, and Al will know who did it.

I've been told by my apartment manager, in pretty plain words, that I'll be evicted if I turn Al in. At this time, I'm not prepared to move because I am still healing up from knee surgery.

Does anyone have anything words to help me out here? I'm scared to death that he's going to kill himself or, worse, someone else.

I understand how you feel, it is not a good feeling to throw someone else under the bus, especially someone you happen to like. But this is a serious problem, he very likely will have an accident, based on his history, and you would have that on your conscience forever.

No, you can remain anonymous, simply go to the local police and tell them what you know. As for your landlord, that is the dumbest threat I have ever heard, and probably illegal as Hell. I would secretly go to the local police, see the Officer in charge, and say "I am not sure what to do here, help me out ."

We've all had to made decisions like you are facing, and it is never easy, but sometimes you have to go with your gut and do the right thing.

Old 08-05-2017, 07:55 AM

2,634 posts, read 3,691,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Three separate issues in post.

1. Busybody neighbor.

2. Elderly driving.

3. Evictions

The Busybody neighbor should get some hobbies and mind his/her own business. No one likes a sneak. No one likes a tattletale. No one like a rat fink.

The "elderly neighbor" may or may not have lost his license. No proof provided. Only hearsay information. That is an administrative matter or police matter. It is not the neighbors job to interpret or enforce the laws.

Apparently, the apartment/housing complex management knows all about the elderly driver. And possibly all in the apartment complex do.

Most folks living in an apartment complex, condo complex, or HOA don't appreciate those residents taking it upon themselves to arbitrarily "enforce" the rules.

The landlord already knows about the poster. Any landlord can get rid of a "problem" tenant by various means.
I was pretty certain that someone would post something like this. And I would agree with you if this weren't literally a matter of life and death. I also very certain that you wouldn't disagree with me if he killed your spouse or one of your children.

Yes, I do, for a fact, that he doesn't have a license. He TOLD me he doesn't -- he hasn't had one for years. And he thinks it's humorous.

There is a reason why our insurance, after we turn 65, goes up a lot every year: we old people have almost as many car accidents annually as the 16-24 age group. The only reason we don't have more is because we don't tend to drive nearly as often as the young ones.

And I hope to god that when I am in Al's shoes, there is someone like me around. If I'm not smart enough to know when it's time to give up driving, I hope there is someone around to stop me.

It's not like I don't understand -- in the past three years, I've broken my shoulder and then my arm/wrist, and the first time I couldn't drive for over three months and the second time I couldn't drive for over six weeks. It's a real -itch not to be able to drive. But we have MANY old ones on the road who shouldn't be there. I LOVE driving -- one of my joys in old age is taking long road trips. When I have to surrender my license (and I hope I have the good sense to do it voluntarily), I am not at all going to be happy.

I just got my license renewed -- at the age of almost 69. I got a vision test, and I paid my fees. That's all. My DMV doesn't want to see me again for another 10 years. I was incredulous -- I was angry -- and I let my DMV know it: After age 70, everyone should have an extensive on-the-road test before they can renew their license. And that includes ME. And you.

Last edited by Fran66; 08-05-2017 at 08:38 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 08:08 AM

3,568 posts, read 1,345,294 times
There are many senior programs that could help Al with transportation and shopping.

What he's doing is very dangerous. He needs to be stopped.

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

28,113 posts, read 63,642,682 times
Seasoned citizens I know drive well into their 90's... in two years I will let you know if neighbor makes it to 100 driving... I live around a lot of those with 50+ years in the neighborhood.

It is the young ones I fear... doing the sideshows and blanketing intersections with smoke... driving cars without tags, without insurance and of course no license...

My vehicles have been hit twice by a 20 something as described... the DMV and Law Enforcement declined to act... in fact DMV said all they can do is revoke the license and if someone chooses to drive without... it is a law enforcement... heck... police don't even take traffic reports unless physical injury involved... same for home break ins or smash and grab... citizens are directed to file an online report and print it.

Apparently Al must being doing something right as he has people in his corner... it could be your perception isn't reality or Al is messing with you... like my friend Ted would do... with Oxygen concentrator in tow.

I had a tenant in her early 70's and a swear she spent every waking moment in other people's business and when she wasn't she was talking about it...

I was never so glad when she left... saying she couldn't live here anymore because people didn't like her... it wasn't 6 months when I happened to meet her new manager and the first thing he said was about her... how she was a complainer... didn't like the assigned parking new to her place going to the unmarried lady with a kid and an old car... or the garbage isn't to be picked up before 6 am and sometimes the truck would show up at 5:50 am or the street lights were too bright, or the landscaper sprayed "Some" chemical... which turned out to be miracle grow... it was endless busy body.

Again... I say if you believe Al is a public threat... stand up and be counted.

Numerous posters have said you have nothing to worry about from the management and if pressed one said you will own the building...

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 08-05-2017 at 08:19 AM..

Old 08-05-2017, 08:11 AM

3,782 posts, read 4,244,588 times
Someone who should not be driving is everyone's business, whether that problem is from an old age related problem, texting while driving, drinking while driving, etc. I would turn him in just like I would, and have, turned in drunk drivers. As for the manger, like someone else noted, have a witness or record if legal in your state and if he should think it is you who turned him in and starts an eviction process, get a lawyer and sue. You will never own the property as someone implied, but you could stop the eviction process and possible sue for some small amount of money for time and aggravation.
And whether or not you get the manager to make the same statement, to evict someone in every state I know, requires a legal reason such as failure to comply with regulations, payment, etc., not cause you turned in a person for driving who does not have a license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive