Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2017, 07:35 AM

1,962 posts, read 2,708,242 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Did they looked at them and thought, hey this looks attractive?
At the time - yes!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2017, 07:42 AM

20,726 posts, read 16,363,404 times
Uhmmmm...the same reason we now think the clothes and hairstyles from then were ugly?

Seriously, it's just changing fashion and tastes. Looking back in 40 years you'll wonder the same about the current.

Old 08-06-2017, 09:09 AM

6,586 posts, read 4,970,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
But then you have a 300lb door that takes up the entire parking spot next to you. Then you have to hunch down to clear the roof and try to work around the drivers seat belt that's in the way.
I'll have to check seat belt placement on a full sized car. I have compact cars and it's not an issue (unless someone is climbing in the back seat but that's about once every 5 years).

My doors are also not that heavy, I can carry them around - again small car. I grew up in a 76 Coupe deVille and could manage the doors even as a kid. Closing my finger in one - now THAT hurt!

You have to hunch down to clear the roof no matter what (I am short, not a big deal). And unless you are overweight, there is no need to swing them open completely.

Guess it's what you're used to!

Old 08-06-2017, 11:24 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,526,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Actually, car mfgs have kept up with an increasingly taller American populace: Comparing sedans to sedans, today's 4-door car 'towers' 3-5" taller than even the largest Big-3 hardtop from the sixties or seventies. That makes a big headroom difference. Also, both manual and power seats in modern cars can be raised or lowered.

The only thing I don't like in today's cars are the relatively small openings for both passengers and cargo. Trunk lids resemble mail slots today! lol And you can't fit even a night stand or small bureau through the door into the backseat of a modern sedan the way you could in even a mid-size car from 40 years ago.
I think you needed all the headroom you could get in those days. My dad always had a big wagon in the sixties, there were five of us kids, no mini vans or family SUV's back then. Those cars had that mushy suspension, long wheelbase, and big overstuffed sofa style seats. I remember going over a bump or a big dip in the road and you'd get launched out of your seat (no seat belts then), straight into the roof of the car. OUCH!! I guess that explains the brain damage........................... Now, what were you saying?

Old 08-06-2017, 11:30 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
This is true, and I think the car styling of the time reflected the pessimistic mood of U.S. society at the time, post Vietnam, oil crisis, etc. It was America's first black eye, both as a politically, and economically. I don't think the European brands were as affected. My first car was a 1974 BMW 2002, and while not the most stylish coupe, I think it still holds up.

The mid, and late 70's were much worse, and well into the 80's we suffered. There were a few exceptions. Very few.
I guess we'll just agree to disagree on the styling of that '74 Beemer. I'd prefer (and still prefer) to drive a '74 GTO or Firebird. Oh heck, I'd even prefer a '74 Vega

But let's perhaps we'll both agree that the '74 Civic left a lot to be desired, both inside and out, in the styling department And the '74 Audi Fox, well, um, er, I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:35 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,224,083 times
Because...... America got hung up in being focused on discrimination, while they also got fat, lazy and over leisurely comfortable, and some were hung up with the past, and angry they could not keep the past.

Old 08-06-2017, 11:44 AM

1,357 posts, read 1,241,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phantompilot View Post

My favorite designs of the seventies are, in no order:

The Fox Body Mustang
Mercury had the Capri with same body style.
1979 Mercury Capri - Fox Mustang Sibling - 5.0 Mustang & Super Fords Magazine

My wife had a '79 Capri RS, without a turbo and it was one of the most underpowered vehicles that I can recall ever driving. It handled pretty nice though.

Old 08-06-2017, 12:06 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Some of the American and foreign automobiles in the '70s and '80s may have been ugly, but in reality "looks" has to do with one's perceptions. It means that to a lot of other people the same automobiles were good looking, looks didn't make a difference to them, and so on.

But from a monetary or collector's point of view, getting my hands on one of those ugly cars that's in mint condition, would be quite nice. Jaguars were quite ugly, but wouldn't be nice to have one from the '60s that is from bumper to bumper in mint condition?

Look at what we paid for those automobiles back then:
http://www.thepeoplehistory.com/70scars.html

Old 08-06-2017, 12:09 PM

20,292 posts, read 37,174,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chance and Change View Post
Because...... America got hung up in being focused on discrimination, while they also got fat, lazy and over leisurely comfortable, and some were hung up with the past, and angry they could not keep the past.
Life must be a drag for you being hung up on such things. We all live and die, fat or slim, lazy or not. Cheer up, be happy

Old 08-06-2017, 12:22 PM

24,510 posts, read 33,305,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Careful now. The 1970's weren't exactly the pinnical of reliability.
True with quite a few cars.

However, some were still reliable...

Full-sized, RWD Cadillacs
Lincoln Continental
Mercury Marquis
Oldsmobile 98 and Cutlass
Buick Electra and LaSabre
Pontiac Catalina
Plymouth Valiant
Dodge Dart
Chevy Nova
Ford Falcon and Maverick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive