Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2017, 08:45 AM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
Hardly. I was out biking yesterday and saw a car from the side. It said "Hybrid." I guessed it was A Toyota. It was a Ford! No way could anyone mistake a Ford for a Toyota in the '70s!
I can tell a Ford from a Toyota from a Honda from almost any angle on modern cars. Yes they look similar but have their own design cues, just like the ones you mentioned about classic cars. Just because you couldn't tell a difference doesn't mean there aren't any.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2017, 09:16 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinsativ View Post
If the cars from the 70's were so ugly? why are they bringing them back? The Mustang? The Camaro? The Challenger? all 70's knock-offs, The OP hasn't a clue what quality and class are. Styling, lines, V8 rumble. No computer, and to say a Ford and GM look alike? Better get glasses. Today's cars all look the same, except for the one's they've brought back, Old school style, ie, mustang, challenger, camaro. even the PT Cruiser was a nostalgia car.
All those cars are knockoffs of 60's cars not 70s. Nobody is trying to bring back the Mustang II.
The old 70's V8 exhaust rumble was heavily muted by massive catalytic converters and only pumped out 160hp.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,312,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
Back then, you couldn't mistake a Ford for any GM product either. They each had their own style.
Yes, I really think that those who say new cars are just as easy to identify are either fooling themselves or just joshing those who know better.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I can tell a Ford from a Toyota from a Honda from almost any angle on modern cars. Yes they look similar but have their own design cues, just like the ones you mentioned about classic cars. Just because you couldn't tell a difference doesn't mean there aren't any.
But the difference is that there was much more styling differences with the old cars.

Come on, stop joshing me... here is a good example of cookie-cutter styling:
I already forgot what those cars are after I blanked out the emblems. Now, if those were a '65 Buick and a '65 Plymouth, I would recognize those immediately.

Old 08-15-2017, 12:30 PM

2,983 posts, read 3,092,208 times
Quote:
But the difference is that there was much more styling differences with the old cars.

Come on, stop joshing me... here is a good example of cookie-cutter styling:
I already forgot what those cars are after I blanked out the emblems. Now, if those were a '65 Buick and a '65 Plymouth, I would recognize those immediately.
Kia Forte subcompact and Honda Accord midsizer. Easy peasy. More styling difference between those than between a '56 Ford and '56 Chevy. Hell, you can interchange the headlights on the '50s Ford and Chevy (both used the same 7" round headlight). The new cars you pictured can't do that. They are completely different looking headlights between them. On the Kia, they reach all the way to the grille. And the lower bumpers are completely different, as are the bodylines on the sides.

Old 08-15-2017, 01:43 PM

4,833 posts, read 5,735,287 times
^ Someone gets it. Truth is classic cars shared a lot more of the same exact components than modern cars do.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
^ Someone gets it. Truth is classic cars shared a lot more of the same exact components than modern cars do.
Come on, be serious!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:43 PM

Yeah, the modern cars look so much different from each other! Maybe in an alternate universe!

Old 08-15-2017, 03:45 PM

He is serious. in '56 the cars used a single 7" round headlight per side. Same one for every car. By '58 they often used 2 5 1/4" headlights per side, again, same headlights for every car. There were very few variations on the styling of the headlights and their surrounds, unlike modern cars. The '56 Ford and Chevy used single 7" round headlight with hoods over them. They had different chrome trim on their slab sides, but the rooflines were nearly identical. Both even had little bodylines running forward from their front wheelwells and stubby straight fins in the rear. Similar looking wraparound windshields and rear glass. On both cars the eggcrate grilles went straight across with the turn signals inside them at the outside ends. DETAILS were different, but they were more the same overall than they were different.

In your example above, the Kia and Honda headlights are completely different sizes AND SHAPES and cannot be interchanged, and are easy to tell apart at a glance. And there are a ton more detail and size differences between the two, and that's just TWO modern sedans. The variations between makes and models gets even larger from there.

Old 08-15-2017, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Yeah, the modern cars look so much different from each other! Maybe in an alternate universe!
Malibu, Camry and Lexus ES in your pics, and the latter two share platforms, like Fords and Mercuries (which often shared sheetmetal)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive