Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2017, 02:15 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,793,474 times

Advertisements

I am long bodied and 6'2" tall, and cannot even get into or sit up in those sardine cans so many today call cars. They are all build for little people.

Here where I live, electric cars do not even exist. A local newspaper article issued data from the MVD, and they state that not one Tesla is even registered in Montana, and there was 1 in Wyoming. It was owned by a movie star that kept it at his ranch, to go to town for dinner, etc., in the evening.

Electric cars are useless here. If you have one with a 200 mile range, you lose 120 miles of that range as it takes a lot more juice out of a car when the snow starts to fly. That 200 mile range is for flat ground, and you lose more when you have long hills and mountains to travel over. In the winter there is not enough range in the electric car to get to the city we drive to when we want to shop. Could not make the trip, without recharging the batteries.

Go to the parking lots, and count the Montana registered cars. You will soon realize that 75% of the vehicles are medium and large SUVs, and 4 door pickups. MY wife and I own a Ford Explorer SUV, and a Ford F-150 pickup.

When you are talking about cars, remember that the 3 best selling vehicles in the entire country are not cars, with F-150 Ford #1 in sales, selling well over twice the number as the best selling car. Chevrolet Silverado Pickup is #2, and the Dodge Ram Pickup is #3. Also an interesting note is, more Millionaires drive a Ford F-150 pickup for their daily driver than any other vehicle.

And they do not drive these vehicles because they are cheap. A nicely equipped pickup or medium and large SUV, are all over $40,000 and can go as high as near $70,000, sticker price.

They drive this kind of vehicle for several reasons.

1--Room to sit in them and drive them. Big and tall people cannot even get into or sit behind the wheel of those small sardine sized cars so many posters drive. I know I can't.

2--They are safer, even if they are called the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Not dangerous to their driver and passengers, but dangerous to anyone that is fooling enough to run into one of them.

3--They have the capacity to carry several people in comfort, which those tiny cars cannot accomplish.

4--Comfort when driving, especially for long distance. You can stretch out and get comfortable, which you cannot do if your are any height in those little cute cars. They remind me of little toy cars kids collect. Cute but not practical out in the real world like we live in.

5--When the snow starts to fly, you can go and are not stuck at home, etc. When out on 2 lane highways, where it is 50 miles to the next town or more, and there is no cell phone service, I carry a tow strap and have pulled many of these little cars out of snow banks and not just driven by and let the people freeze to death.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2017, 02:22 PM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,047,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
I am long bodied and 6'2" tall, and cannot even get into or sit up in those sardine cans so many today call cars. They are all build for little people.

Here where I live, electric cars do not even exist. A local newspaper article issued data from the MVD, and they state that not one Tesla is even registered in Montana, and there was 1 in Wyoming. It was owned by a movie star that kept it at his ranch, to go to town for dinner, etc., in the evening.

Electric cars are useless here. If you have one with a 200 mile range, you lose 120 miles of that range as it takes a lot more juice out of a car when the snow starts to fly. That 200 mile range is for flat ground, and you lose more when you have long hills and mountains to travel over. In the winter there is not enough range in the electric car to get to the city we drive to when we want to shop. Could not make the trip, without recharging the batteries.

Go to the parking lots, and count the Montana registered cars. You will soon realize that 75% of the vehicles are medium and large SUVs, and 4 door pickups. MY wife and I own a Ford Explorer SUV, and a Ford F-150 pickup.

When you are talking about cars, remember that the 3 best selling vehicles in the entire country are not cars, with F-150 Ford #1 in sales, selling well over twice the number as the best selling car. Chevrolet Silverado Pickup is #2, and the Dodge Ram Pickup is #3. Also an interesting note is, more Millionaires drive a Ford F-150 pickup for their daily driver than any other vehicle.

And they do not drive these vehicles because they are cheap. A nicely equipped pickup or medium and large SUV, are all over $40,000 and can go as high as near $70,000, sticker price.

They drive this kind of vehicle for several reasons.

1--Room to sit in them and drive them. Big and tall people cannot even get into or sit behind the wheel of those small sardine sized cars so many posters drive. I know I can't.

2--They are safer, even if they are called the most dangerous vehicles on the road. Not dangerous to their driver and passengers, but dangerous to anyone that is fooling enough to run into one of them.

3--They have the capacity to carry several people in comfort, which those tiny cars cannot accomplish.

4--Comfort when driving, especially for long distance. You can stretch out and get comfortable, which you cannot do if your are any height in those little cute cars. They remind me of little toy cars kids collect. Cute but not practical out in the real world like we live in.

5--When the snow starts to fly, you can go and are not stuck at home, etc. When out on 2 lane highways, where it is 50 miles to the next town or more, and there is no cell phone service, I carry a tow strap and have pulled many of these little cars out of snow banks and not just driven by and let the people freeze to death.

Actually, car mfgs have kept up with an increasingly taller American populace: Comparing sedans to sedans, today's 4-door car 'towers' 3-5" taller than even the largest Big-3 hardtop from the sixties or seventies. That makes a big headroom difference. Also, both manual and power seats in modern cars can be raised or lowered.

The only thing I don't like in today's cars are the relatively small openings for both passengers and cargo. Trunk lids resemble mail slots today! lol And you can't fit even a night stand or small bureau through the door into the backseat of a modern sedan the way you could in even a mid-size car from 40 years ago.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:23 PM

45,541 posts, read 60,783,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
When I was a kid my Mom had a '76 LTD Brougham coupe, it was blue with a white landau top, and my sister used to call it the "blue bomber". We HATED that car! This was in the late 80's when most of our friend's parents had moved on to more modern fwd cars like the Cutlass Ciera or Pontiac 6000.

What I have always found funny, is that my house was built in 1973 with a single car garage, yet most cars from that year were barely able to fit through the door.
Neither the Ciera or the 6000 was much of an upgrade. By " we" do you mean you and your sister? Oh well.

People tend to remember the cars they grew up with. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 1955 Plymouth and Buick but I can a 1965 through likely mid-90s. All cars from the 20s through the 40s look alike to me (well except ones like Dusenberg).

Old 08-05-2017, 02:29 PM

18,069 posts, read 18,858,820 times
I found that era to have mostly ugly cars. How in the world did we go from the 60's, with numerous good looking cars. to the 70's with the ugly things they had?

Old 08-05-2017, 02:46 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,709,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Neither the Ciera or the 6000 was much of an upgrade. By " we" do you mean you and your sister? Oh well.

People tend to remember the cars they grew up with. I couldn't tell you the difference between a 1955 Plymouth and Buick but I can a 1965 through likely mid-90s. All cars from the 20s through the 40s look alike to me (well except ones like Dusenberg).
Yep, me and my sister both hated it.

Another thing about 70's cars is very few had alloy wheels unless it was a sports car. Seems like most of them either had missing or mismatched hubcaps, and is one of the reasons I hate black wheels today.

Old 08-05-2017, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
I found that era to have mostly ugly cars. How in the world did we go from the 60's, with numerous good looking cars. to the 70's with the ugly things they had?
Which part of the 70s? The first half was a progression from the late 60s. The second half had GM start downsizing but pretty much keeping the same lines (see the mid-decade Grand Prix/Cutlass Supreme/Monte Carlo/Regal large mid-size and the end of the decade downsized models).

Old 08-05-2017, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Yep, me and my sister both hated it.

Another thing about 70's cars is very few had alloy wheels unless it was a sports car. Seems like most of them either had missing or mismatched hubcaps, and is one of the reasons I hate black wheels today.
Did you live in the ghetto or something where people stole hubcaps?

Alloy wheels weren't really a "thing" back then. And the switch to them wasn't for style but weight reduction for fleet mileage. And what you saw as "alloy" were probably steel.

The reality is that tastes for cars/clothes/houses/shoes/whatever changes. Constantly. Much of the change for cars was driven by governmental mandates.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:18 PM

24,517 posts, read 33,360,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
Them big boats wear great to drive plenty of interior room unlike today's cars, I loved bench seats. I had a Buick Electra 225 with a 454 motor, that car drove like you were driveing on a cloud. Beautiful pillow top bench seat, very quiet ride, these type of cars were what you wanted to drive on a long trip. These big land yacht's as they are called now were the most comfortable cars to drive they had class, like the Eldorado, the Rivera, the Lincoln towncar, caddilac Deville these cars all had class. They had more class than these newer version have today.

Attachment 188672
Yes, those old full-sized (true full-sized) cars were really something. Comfortable, smooth, roomy, easy to drive, etc.

BTW, the Buick Electra had a 455 engine, as did the Oldsmobile and Pontiac. Only Chevy had the 454 engine.

My favorite of the '60s/'70s luxury cars was always the Cadillac, especially the Fleetwood Seventy-Five and Brougham series.

Old 08-05-2017, 03:35 PM

26,437 posts, read 46,690,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
Did they looked at them and thought, hey this looks attractive?
In case we needed reminding, here is the 1983 Chrysler Lineup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foBNd8t_tBA

Old 08-05-2017, 03:47 PM

18,949 posts, read 43,709,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Did you live in the ghetto or something where people stole hubcaps?

Alloy wheels weren't really a "thing" back then. And the switch to them wasn't for style but weight reduction for fleet mileage. And what you saw as "alloy" were probably steel.

The reality is that tastes for cars/clothes/houses/shoes/whatever changes. Constantly. Much of the change for cars was driven by governmental mandates.
Nope, no ghetto. I always assumed they just fell off or something. Watch any old video from back then, and you'll see plenty of cars in the background with missing hubcaps.

You're probably right about the alloys, I guess what I'm remembering was polycast.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive