Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 06:41 AM

3,441 posts, read 2,785,626 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveswater_outdoors View Post
Well seeing as about half the posters are the idiots that do this, it is no surprise. Their defensive answers for their selfish behavior shows the problem. And then they wonder why they get run off the road or shot when they drive ten under in the left lane and flip people off. This world needs another plague...
Wow. That's quite an overreaction to waiting 2-3 minutes to pump gas.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,901,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
It's a throwback from the 1960's and early 1970's when almost all stations were full service and that included windshield cleaning, oil and sometimes transmission fluid check.
When I worked at one of the rest areas on the NYS Thruway (1997-1999, summers) we had 4 self-serve pumps and 2 full-serve pumps. So I was out washing windshields and checking engine fluids. I used to bag $5 tips from doing that. We also had full-serve on the diesel pump, that I was also responsible for.

They don't make gas stations like they used to. None of the cashiers working now would be able to hustle the way I was expected to. There were times when I was running that entire station myself while the shift leader I was working with was off handling a road-side call (AAA isn't, or wasn't at that time, anyway, allowed on the Thruway).

And we had better wash water than any other station I've been to since, because we would put a scoop of Sp*c-and-Span in the water buckets. It's abrasive enough to get rid of the bugs, and gentle enough not to scratch the glass. Plain water just doesn't work the same.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:17 AM

6,916 posts, read 3,901,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moxiegal View Post
This was back when drive offs became more frequent, but the majority of stations hadn't yet instituted rules for patrons on how they were expected to deal with it.
Now there are all sorts of rules and laws in place, regarding drive offs.
Also, everywhere I have lived, no longer had gas station pump attendants.
I don't remember us having any drive-offs when I was working at a gas station. But that was back when gas was a lot cheaper than it is now, $1/gallon for 87, or something like that. So you could pump and pay cash after, pump and bring your card up to the window to pay after, or swipe your card in the pump and not have to come up to the window at all.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:24 AM

12,945 posts, read 9,563,753 times
Quote:
This was back when drive offs became more frequent, but the majority of stations hadn't yet instituted rules for patrons on how they were expected to deal with it.
I still know of one place in my town, that will turn the pumps on before you pay. The owners will look out the window, and if they know you, or you a regular they will turn them on, they are so nice. I remember when people from other parts of the country that was in town visiting, they couldn't believe we were still pumping gas before paying at most places around town. But, the drive eventually started around here too, so they had no choice, but to go with the prepay.Those were the good old days.

Old 08-08-2017, 09:45 AM

7,826 posts, read 11,726,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
just because you dont like it, doesnt mean i have to fill my car up with gas, and then drive it 20ft instead of going inside the building to get the things i want and need. live with it.
it's called courtesy, never heard the term?

If people are waiting in a long line then it's having manners to move out of the way if you are not directly fueling. It's just like pulling over to let traffic pass when there are people following you on a mountain road.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:12 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,663,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa
In 1986 during the sixth game of the World Series just about every pump at what was then the Pelham Exxon (now Gulf) became a parking space as people watched the game inside the station. The Mets were down and then tied when a ball rolled between the Rd Sox's outfielder's legs.

dkf747 - HUH???

In 1984 I lived in Detroit. 1986 too. We didn't care about the Red Sox or the Mets. Get it now?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:30 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,031,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
All of these cash payers are about as annoying as the old ladies at the grocery store still writing a check.
99.99% of the times I've payed at the pump there have been no adverse consequences. A few months ago something triggered a freeze on my available funds when I payed at the pump. Unaware of this I drove with my son to get him his ice cream I had promised him if he did a "good job" during therapy (physical; he's disabled) & I'm standing at the counter with him all excited ... & I can't pay for it. Spent the next 20 minutes outside digging coins out of the car seats to do so. So; back to cash for me.

Old 08-08-2017, 10:31 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,022,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k374 View Post
it's called courtesy, never heard the term?

If people are waiting in a long line then it's having manners to move out of the way if you are not directly fueling.
Several people have given legitimate reasons why this isn't always possible, or even the correct thing to do.

Courtesy isn't always cut and dried.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:24 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Quote:
That is exactly why prepay cash first became the norm. I was on a backcountry trip in WY/UT during which Hurricane Katrina hit the south. When I drove there, gas was cheap. When I returned and went to fill up for the drive home, I was shocked by the suddenly-high prices. While I was in the store, the owner yelled something and ran out, jumped into his vehicle, and drove off at a furious speed. The clerk said someone had literally just done a drive-off, maybe the first time for that station. The owner knew all the back roads, had an offroad-capable ute, and was armed. I hope he found the SOB...clerk seemed to be confident he would.

Soon after that--really soon--stations started posting signs telling customers they had to prepay for cash.

I recently was filling up at one local station where they must know me by sight now. The cashier said I didn't need to prepay. But I do anyway, because the last thing the business needs is for some out-of-town jerk to raise a stink about You Let Some Do It But Not Others.

Last edited by pikabike; 08-08-2017 at 11:33 AM..

Old 08-08-2017, 11:28 AM

9,868 posts, read 7,612,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Wow. That's quite an overreaction to waiting 2-3 minutes to pump gas.
Not to mention the baseless conclusion that someone paying cash also drives 10 under the speed limit, etc.

Plague does not discriminate...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive