Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 09:07 AM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times

Advertisements

My '97 Taurus has a gas tank leak, near the top. The shop quoted $450 to replace it, but said it would be fine as long as I never filled the tank to the top, where the leak is.

Anybody ever have any experience with a do-it-yourself gas tank leak repair?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 09:12 AM

3,869 posts, read 15,173,765 times
It could be a loose or rotted tank vent, seal , rubber hose or something easy to fix or the tank needs replacement.

If it rusted out the tank is full of dirt, rust and water.
replace it and your fuel filter

Old 05-24-2012, 09:52 AM

14,780 posts, read 43,702,592 times
What exactly did they say was the source of the leak? If the top of the tank is cracked or rotted, then replacing it is the only proper fix. Anything else is just rolling the dice and risking a fire.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:21 AM

3,306 posts, read 12,225,602 times
From what I gather the D186 platform was used on Taurii from '86-'07. I helped a buddy with his fuel pump on an '89 SHO and tank removal was very straightforward. It was a rusty Detroit car and we did the job in a college campus parking lot on a warm night with a single jack and plenty of beer. Not sure if everything is the same but this is a DIY job you could do in a few hours if you were so inclined. Before you dive in, find a tank somewhere (junkyard maybe) so if you discover that the problem is beyond repair you can just swap the whole tank.

Old 05-24-2012, 02:03 PM

3,437 posts, read 6,076,158 times
Go to a bone yard and buy a tank that doesn't leak and replace it yourself, YOU will NEVER fix a leaky tank.

$450 is CRAZY

Old 05-24-2012, 04:12 PM

17,218 posts, read 57,092,976 times
What Trackwatch said - unless the leak is a small discrete hole that you can see - in that case, Permatex does sell a specific epoxy product to patch leaking gas tanks. If it's a hole you can see.

Is it the tank itself or the rubber hoses going in/out and to the filler that leak? Sometimes on older rigs these will dry out if it's not driven for several weeks at a time, and frequently will soften up and seal again if you drive it more regularly.

Without knowing how big the leak is, I can't say how serious it is. Big enough gas leak is a serious fire hazard. A little seepage is still not good, but I wouldn't panic over it.

Old 05-24-2012, 04:54 PM

689 posts, read 2,162,177 times
I should have been clearer. A mechanic that I trust examined the leak, identified it as coming from near the top of the tank, and said it would not leak if the gas level was below the leak. The price he quoted was to remove the tank and replace it, including new straps. Based on prior experience at the shop, I trust that he would have recognized a problem that could be corrected without tank replacement.

There is also a shop in town that specializes in tank/radiator repair, and advertises that he has a repair technique that I think is called Renu. I am not competent nor equipped to do the labor myself.

It is not urgent -- as long as I don't fill the tank, I can drive it as is, and evaluate the results and options at a later date.

Old 05-26-2012, 09:07 AM

774 posts, read 2,602,751 times
If the take is metal and you can get to the source of the leak and clean it well then you can stop the leak yourself.

Bars makes a clay that gets pressed into the crack/hole/whatever and expands and hardens. I never thought it would work but I used it on an old take in a Chevelle about 5 yrs ago. It had a small crack right where the filler neck attached to the tank. To this day it has not fallen off or leaked.

Old 05-26-2012, 10:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,642,721 times
Have it fixed correctly. I would guess your families life is worth $450.00? Gasoline is dangerous and you don't do a half-a$$ed repair on a fuel tank.
If you want to save a buck, buy cheap seat covers, you don't try to save money on a safety item..!
Driving with a half full tank is advice from a fool... What if you get rear-ended or a roll over?
While you watch your family burn to death, you can take comfort in the fact you saved a few bucks...!

Old 05-26-2012, 10:24 AM

44,634 posts, read 61,638,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nayabone View Post
Have it fixed correctly. I would guess your families life is worth $450.00? Gasoline is dangerous and you don't do a half-a$$ed repair on a fuel tank.
If you want to save a buck, buy cheap seat covers, you don't try to save money on a safety item..!
Driving with a half full tank is advice from a fool... What if you get rear-ended or a roll over?
While you watch your family burn to death, you can take comfort in the fact you saved a few bucks...!
Best advice yet...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive