Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get angry at drivers going the posted speed limit?
Yes, get out of my way! 27 15.98%
No. Just wait for a clearing to pass the driver 102 60.36%
Annoyed but not angry. 40 23.67%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2017, 07:14 PM

3,122 posts, read 2,216,353 times

Advertisements

If you're driving in town, especially in a subdivision or wherever pedestrians can pop up out of nowhere, then you should absolutely drive the posted speed limit.

A month or so ago I was driving down a street about dusk when all of a sudden I come up on a motorized wheel chair- in the street! No fluorescent markings on it so I nearly hit this guy. Had I not been driving just below the speed limit I doubt I could have avoided running him over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Giant signs on the side of the road that say "Slower traffic keep right". In many states, it is the law to stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. Just make it easy on yourself: if you insist on adhering precisely to the speed limit, stay out of the left lane.
So going the speed limit is going to slow in the left turn lane were dose it say that it’s okay to go faster in the left lane than the posted speed. Some people think it’s ok to go as fast as they please with out regard to other drivers.

Old 10-03-2017, 01:42 AM

7,448 posts, read 7,503,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaErik View Post
Because people want to go 65 in a 55. So just stay out of the left lane and everyone should be happy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
And I’ll be waving at you when the cop is writing your speeding ticket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by YourWakeUpCall View Post
Giant signs on the side of the road that say "Slower traffic keep right". In many states, it is the law to stay out of the left lane unless you're passing. Just make it easy on yourself: if you insist on adhering precisely to the speed limit, stay out of the left lane.
Exactly. We have those signs every few miles. The police say to move over, even if you're doing the speed limit. As for getting a ticket, everyone is going 10 mph over the speed limit. Even the police.

Old 10-03-2017, 06:12 AM

15,394 posts, read 25,628,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easy62 View Post
So going the speed limit is going to slow in the left turn lane were dose it say that it’s okay to go faster in the left lane than the posted speed. Some people think it’s ok to go as fast as they please with out regard to other drivers.
Yes, the speed limit CAN be too slow in the passing lane (left lane). If you're not passing someone, move right. Simple. How fast someone lose is going is the cop's business, not yours.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:13 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,011,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
If you're driving in town, especially in a subdivision or wherever pedestrians can pop up out of nowhere, then you should absolutely drive the posted speed limit.

A month or so ago I was driving down a street about dusk when all of a sudden I come up on a motorized wheel chair- in the street! No fluorescent markings on it so I nearly hit this guy. Had I not been driving just below the speed limit I doubt I could have avoided running him over.
Textbook example of what those 'low' local speed limits were arrived at for!

Of course today's cars and tire technology can safely endure long stretches at much higher speeds than cars of even 40 years ago: '40 is the new 25mph', '70 is the new 55', so I understand the frustration. Most modern cars just 'feel' better at higher speeds than at posted.

Analogy for fellow aviation buffs: Try cruising in a F-18 at Cessna speeds and see what happens.. You'll end up a yard ornament.

Old 10-03-2017, 07:56 AM

2,668 posts, read 4,460,366 times
I think the limits are a little low but I usually stay within 5-10 of them. When I get behind someone doing the limit what frustrates me more is the fact that they cannot maintain the speed. The let off the gas going up hills thus slowing below the limit and take forever to get back to speed. Or brake going downhill as if they were on a mountain slope instead of just coasting.

Of course I drive a stick so my habits may be a little different as I use engine braking and more throttle on grades but it's really annoying that people cannot maintain a speed.

I will say though that it seems 90% of the time I get stuck behind a slower person it pays off because around the bend or down the way a cop is sitting so I just fall back and do my thing.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:11 PM

2,254 posts, read 2,694,502 times
No - whether in town or on the freeway. I don't believe in speeding. It just makes you a dick who thinks the law doesn't pertain to you.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:25 PM

6,975 posts, read 5,294,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonepa View Post
No - whether in town or on the freeway. I don't believe in speeding. It just makes you a dick who thinks the law doesn't pertain to you.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:27 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGrandK-Man View Post
Textbook example of what those 'low' local speed limits were arrived at for!

Of course today's cars and tire technology can safely endure long stretches at much higher speeds than cars of even 40 years ago: '40 is the new 25mph', '70 is the new 55', so I understand the frustration. Most modern cars just 'feel' better at higher speeds than at posted.

Analogy for fellow aviation buffs: Try cruising in a F-18 at Cessna speeds and see what happens.. You'll end up a yard ornament.
Thing is, the DRIVERS haven't been upgraded, and sadly, it's all too often the drivers who are the most likely to be a danger to themselves and others at high speeds who think they are wonderful drivers who should be allowed to drive any speed they want.

Old 10-03-2017, 02:36 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,166,931 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clutchrider View Post
I think the limits are a little low but I usually stay within 5-10 of them. When I get behind someone doing the limit what frustrates me more is the fact that they cannot maintain the speed. The let off the gas going up hills thus slowing below the limit and take forever to get back to speed. Or brake going downhill as if they were on a mountain slope instead of just coasting.

Of course I drive a stick so my habits may be a little different as I use engine braking and more throttle on grades but it's really annoying that people cannot maintain a speed.

I will say though that it seems 90% of the time I get stuck behind a slower person it pays off because around the bend or down the way a cop is sitting so I just fall back and do my thing.
And thus you know why at least some people insist on driving the speed limit in certain areas - because they know where the cops tend to hang out and aren't interested in getting a speeding ticket because someone else thinks the limit doesn't apply to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive