Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you get angry at drivers going the posted speed limit?
Yes, get out of my way! 27 15.98%
No. Just wait for a clearing to pass the driver 102 60.36%
Annoyed but not angry. 40 23.67%
Voters: 169. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 08:47 AM

782 posts, read 851,214 times

Advertisements

It depends on the scenario.

If I'm driving on a city street with normal pedestrian traffic during a busy time of day, I'm not bothered by someone doing 25-30. There's no reason to speed.

However, If I'm on a highway in light traffic with 55 posted and someone is in the left most lane going 55...It thoroughly annoys me, to the point where I will pass them ASAP. Im sorry, but regardless of the posted limit, if you're going slower than the general flow on a highway, you're the one that's compromising safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 08:58 AM

4,928 posts, read 10,596,367 times
I have no problem with someone going the limit on the highway, as long as they are not in the passing lane.

There are a lot of things about city driving that annoy me but obeying the speed limit is not one of them, especially b/c cities have a lot of traffic, construction and just random craziness, so it's best to drive cautiously.

I can't stand it when drivers speed in residential areas (where the limit is 25-30 m.p.h.) There is a reason why there is a limit: there are people walking with their dogs, jogging biking, kids playing, animals crossing and many streets here do not have sidewalks, bike lanes, crosswalks, etc. Yet people fly down the street at 40+ m.p.h.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:05 AM

6,277 posts, read 4,138,067 times
No, I don't waste time getting angry at other drivers as long as they are not doing something dangerous or harassing.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:06 AM

10,326 posts, read 17,330,139 times
Only if they are in the passing left lane. If you want to go slow just stay in the right lane.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:37 AM

9,333 posts, read 6,870,607 times
I never judge people going the speed limit. There are areas i know where people get pulled over for doing +1mph over.

What I don't like are people on interstates or highways in the left lanes going the speed limit or under. Especially if we're talking 3+ lanes they should be in the right or middle lane.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:20 AM

8,452 posts, read 4,708,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by P47P47 View Post
Only when the posted limit is just unrealistically slow, and then I'm not angry at the driver, I'm angry at whoever set the speed limit.

But I'm the guy doing that unrealistically slow speed on one road that's on my way home from work. Something about that road gives me the heebie-jeebies, and every day I fully expect a police car to be shooting radar as I crest the hill. I set my cruise control as soon as I turn onto the road, and I've had a parade behind me by the time I get to the end of it.
I've found with back roads that if the posted speed limit is reasonable you won't even notice if the person in front of you is going exactly at the limit. It's where the limits are artificially low that it may seem to be a problem. In those cases though they may be revenue generators more than safety measures, so beware and keep your eyes peeled.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:25 AM

15,395 posts, read 25,634,879 times
My policy is if you're at least going at the speed limit then I don't complain. Weather and traffic congestion are about the only acceptable excuses for not going the speed limit.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:27 AM

1,950 posts, read 1,118,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_M View Post
Er... since I opt to skip criminal activities, I wouldn't need to "slow down" for someone going the speed limit.
Where do you live that speeding is a crime? In the most of the US, most traffic violations are civil... not criminal.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:37 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,689,279 times
Too many variables.

-Weather conditions
-How well you know the road/area
-Topography of the land
-Rural/City
-Residential?
And so on...

I typically have the mindset that the speed limit automatically means 'plus 5', but there are exceptions. I try not to get annoyed if they are going the speed limit (with a few exceptions- like the fast lane on the expressway, or this main two lane rural route I live near that is impossible to pass on).

Now, if you are going under the speed limit on a nice, clear, sunny day driving over a non-residential flat two lane road, you are going to make me mad!

Old 08-07-2017, 10:38 AM

24,215 posts, read 16,904,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victimofGM View Post
I'm one to go around 5 mph below the speed limit but only when it's a heavy rain, thick fog, or a dark narrow country road. I've nearly hit people, dogs, and trash cans on the road at night, a road with no street lights and a 45 mph speed limit and no shoulder. During these conditions I drive 40 or less depending on visibility.

Of course, it is common sense to slow down when the weather turn bad or conditions make it difficult to safely navigate your vehicle. How many bozos have caused accidents because they are going way too fast in the rain, fog or snow.

Responsible drivers slow down when conditions warrant it.

BUT when a driver is moving along on a beautiful day say at 25 in a 35 zone they should be pulled over just as someone that is going 45 in the same zone. There could be something wrong in both cases and it is putting the public at risk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive