Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2017, 04:21 PM

25,734 posts, read 16,354,005 times

Advertisements

I have a 2004 VW Passat that is rarely driven, maybe 1000 miles a year if that. Mostly it sits in my garage. Occasionally one of the kids will borrow it if their car is broken down/in for repairs ect. I'll probably give it to a grandchild someday.

My question, does synthetic oil really have to be changed once a year? I pull the dipstick and it looks like I just poured it in after a year. Seems like a waste.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2017, 04:44 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,529,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
I have a 2004 VW Passat that is rarely driven, maybe 1000 miles a year if that. Mostly it sits in my garage. Occasionally one of the kids will borrow it if their car is broken down/in for repairs ect. I'll probably give it to a grandchild someday.

My question, does synthetic oil really have to be changed once a year? I pull the dipstick and it looks like I just poured it in after a year. Seems like a waste.
It'll be fine. I wouldn't bother.

Old 08-07-2017, 04:47 PM

5,051 posts, read 3,547,956 times
Not really - at least two I would think but there is lots that can go wrong with the engine and suspension of it is not driven. You need to take it out at least every two weeks and get the engine up to operating temperature and bring it back to the garage hot - like after a 20 minute interstate drive. And once a year a bottle of dry-gas to remove water and perhaps Techtron to keep the fuel system in order. That should do it.

Old 08-07-2017, 05:38 PM

11,550 posts, read 52,928,448 times
Quote:

much depends upon:

1) the climate where the car is sitting?

2) when the car is driven, is it driven long enough to keep it at operating temp (oil temp, not water temp) for at least 20-30 minutes?

If you're in a dry climate area with the car stored in that garage where it's not subject to wide temperature swings AND it gets driven a reasonable time/load each time it is started, then ...

an annual oil change is unlikely to be needed with your high quality synthetic oil.

Of course, consider:

What are your expectations for this vehicle? How many years do you intend to operate it? How many miles do you anticipate putting on it?

OTOH, if the car sits for a prolonged time and then is driven only a few miles, it will build up acids/combustion by-products and moisture much more rapidly in the oil, especially if it's in a humid climate with temperatures where the metal of the engine "sweats" and delivers moisture into the engine. In that scenario, if the engine isn't brought up to temperature long enough to drive out the moisture from the oil, you'll have rapid wear in the engine. But keep in mind your goals ... if the car isn't expected to be used for many more years, than the engine internal wear from your limited use may be of no consequence because other wear/deterioration items will be a more significant factor in keeping the car on the road.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:18 PM

1,009 posts, read 1,976,290 times
I drive my 79 T-Bird anywhere from 900 to 1500 miles a year...I use cheap wal-mart dino oil...I have done once a year oil changes since 2010 with no issues yet...however, every trip I take is 138 miles or so at hwy speeds so I have no problem with acid/water build up from short trips.

Old 08-07-2017, 08:49 PM

25,734 posts, read 16,354,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Not really - at least two I would think but there is lots that can go wrong with the engine and suspension of it is not driven. You need to take it out at least every two weeks and get the engine up to operating temperature and bring it back to the garage hot - like after a 20 minute interstate drive. And once a year a bottle of dry-gas to remove water and perhaps Techtron to keep the fuel system in order. That should do it.
Yeah, that's not happening. It's used more like a golf cart. If my wife drives it it's less than a couple of miles.

Old 08-07-2017, 09:11 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,460,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacanegro View Post
Everything is right except the dry gas issue is taken care of by the 10% ethanol in gasoline. Letting the car sit with a full tank all that time invites corrosion and destruction of rubber parts. Common advice on this forum is to add Seafoam to the tank to avoid some off that corrosion.
Take it for a drive every couple of weeks is good advice.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:26 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,576 posts, read 57,515,730 times
What engine? W8 / VR6 / 1.8T / TDI ?

With indoor storage and synthetic oil in a seldom driven modern car... I would drive to temp every 4 months and cool it slow (not outside at night if chance of condensation), then let her sit. I would trust 5 + yrs is no issue with synthetic oil in a garaged vehicle. If a TDI, she will be happy to sit a VERY long time with no need to change Crankcase oil or FUEL.

I have driven many a brier patch VW rabbit home that had been sitting in the rain / damp and mold 5-10 yrs... none of them had premature engine failures (and they were well wrung out to start with).

Of course I changed to dino oil and flushed them out before putting them into fulltime service. (usually with synthetic if they had a healthy engine)

Old 08-07-2017, 10:45 PM

44,546 posts, read 61,236,501 times
If the oil is clear No, if the oil is black Yes.

Old 08-07-2017, 11:06 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,636,740 times
Quote:

the issue isnt the oil itself, that never loses is lubricity. the problem comes when the additive package breaks down over time, and combines with the moisture in the air to create acids and sludge. at a minimum change the oil at least once per year, twice is better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive