Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2017, 05:51 PM

8,679 posts, read 11,069,654 times

Advertisements

-21K out the door.

Ask for the breakdown. It's simple.

I always bring pen, paper and a real calculator with me. Its not complicated at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2017, 08:03 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Given that delivery is factored into the sticker price on the window sheet, you're going to pay it one way or the other. Whatever money they knock off the sticker...the delivery fee was factored into that in the first place. Doc fees can be negotiated, however.
See the first sentence of Ed_RDNC reply.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:05 PM

5,671 posts, read 5,868,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
You can, as long as they lower the price of the car accordingly. If a dealer quotes me $25k for a car out the door and I'm happy with it I don't really care what the breakdown is.
Some stealers are dishonest enough to try and slip those in on unsuspecting buyers.

Old 08-11-2017, 11:35 PM

7 posts, read 52,962 times
Update

Went in to get the numbers. Dealer did the math wrong and it turn out to be 20.5k. But it was high because they were trying to charge me a dealer fee on 1k, which is bogus.

They justified it talking about "most dealerships charge have that fee" and "we gotta get paid." That's all well and good, but a dealer fee is bullcrap (especially 1k).

Walked away and found a car cheaper with no extra fees

Old 08-12-2017, 01:28 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,831,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drinkchamp View Post
I'm dealing with a dealership that has a car advertised for 17k. But when I asked for the OTD price, he told me it was 21 after taxes and everything. I feel like that's bullcrap though, no way all the taxes and fees add up to 4k.

How do you calculate the bottom line price?

I live in NY btw
You don't calculate it, the dealer does. Insist on having it put in writing - you're the customer and they're going to have to put it in writing anyway before you complete the purchase. If you see things you don't like, tell them you're not paying that much.

And NY State sales tax is 4%, not 8.875%. That may very well be what you pay but that is a combination of state, county, city and school district taxes depending on where the sale actually takes place.

Old 05-20-2019, 05:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,506 times
Smile OTD Strategy

Quote:
I'm dealing with a dealership that has a car advertised for 17k. But when I asked for the OTD price, he told me it was 21 after taxes and everything. I feel like that's bullcrap though, no way all the taxes and fees add up to 4k.

How do you calculate the bottom line price?

I live in NY btw
I live in Wisconsin and have purchased many vehicles with OTD pricing. I just throw them a price and see how they react. The car you are dealing with I would just just ask the the dealer for the asking price for your OTD cost. That price should include TAX TITLE and prep. So that when you come to pick up the vehicle and pay. Your check should be 17K. No more no less. that way you know what you are paying and the dealer does not hit you with hidden costs the day you come in and pay. If the dealer won't budge then walk out. See if he wants to sell cars or rip you off.

Old 05-20-2019, 06:06 AM

133 posts, read 210,858 times
Quote:
True. The dealer and the finance guy keep stressing to me though that they will absolutely not negotiate. They have lowered it enough to where it's under market value. With it being so new (16) and so little mileage (13k) they are saying it's a take it or leave it situation
The only time a dealer (in NY) gave me an attitude of "take it or leave it", I gave them a nice smile, told my wife to get up, and left the place and never came back.
No one is doing you a favor with selling you a car.

Old 05-20-2019, 11:51 AM

24,557 posts, read 18,230,382 times
In New England, the states are so small that I almost always buy my cars out of state. I walk out of the dealership with a bill of sale and a certificate of origin. I'm paying my own sales tax, title application fee, registration fee, and getting the car inspected myself. "Out the door" is the price I negotiated and $0 for the "dealer paperwork fee" BS charge I always refuse to pay. I've walked out the door over that bogus fee before. It's always negotiable.

Old 05-20-2019, 07:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,503,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Given that delivery is factored into the sticker price on the window sheet, you're going to pay it one way or the other. Whatever money they knock off the sticker...the delivery fee was factored into that in the first place. Doc fees can be negotiated, however.

That said, OTD price is whatever price you negotiated on the vehicle plus tags, tax, title and fees. No getting around that and any dealer can give you the breakdown on the buyers order if you think he's BSing you. Tax is a ***** though, you'd be surprised how much that can add depending on state. Shouldn't be "bad" on a 17K vehicle. My current car was about 40 grand out the door after my trade, I think only 3 or so of that was taxes, maybe a bit more.
Yes you’re right. But some dealers like to ADD a delivery fee even though it’s included. It’s really best to make sure you know what fees are included in the vehicles price.
There are a lot of bs fees that people pay because they think they have to.

Old 05-21-2019, 03:09 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
I do not like dealing with dealers. I am done with them. I am done with games. I give them my out the door price. If they do not accept it, I go out the door. Most of them will in fact let me walk away. One of them will either run after me or will say yes. i only need to find one.

Is it worth spending 10 hours finding the one who will say yes? Depends on what you are buying, but if it saves you$1500 that is $150 an hour. Not a bad hourly rate for my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive