Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 06:50 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
First off some are trying to qualify as LSAs. This will do for two passengers aircraft and will allow flight by anyone with a minimal license. Kind of the same as needed to legally fly a drone in commerce. Electric weight is easily dealt with for small crafts with less than a couple of hours of flight time. There out there today.

Musk is not late. He may be wrong...but not late. And I still believe semis will end up the first autonomous vehicle. The economics are overpowering.
https://nikolamotor.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 07:09 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
If Nikola succeeds Tesla will do very well. The successful implantation of a hydrogen infrastructure changes the world. Without it Nikola has no product.

And some here seem to think I am a Tesla fan. Sometimes. But Solar City is a pure marketing play with no technology involved. The roof tiles are border line dumb. They canget a premium but not more than 100 per cent if they vastly lower electric bills. Tesa present numbers are absurd.

Last edited by lvmensch; 08-13-2017 at 07:30 PM..

Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 PM

15,946 posts, read 12,287,130 times
Some people like to drive cars until the wheels fall off and until they make the battery modules inexpensive and easy to replace without multi thousand dollar repair bills I'll stick with internal combustion. Besides I live in the middle of nowhere and require on occasion 350-600 mile trips without stopping. I didn't buy a prius mostly because I wanted the cargo space to be able to stick long objects in the trunk through the back seat, and also because the batteries can potentially fail over time costing thousands to fix. No thanks. Can't make the car work with one dead battery module that I can hot swap myself for the price of the module, then I'm not gonna buy.

I understand for the average american who lives in NYC and leases a car, maybe teslas work fine for them. Not so for flyover country. Fuel cells are the real future, but probably 20 years off yet. I wish I was 10 years old right now like my nephew. The future looks interesting.

Old 08-13-2017, 08:13 PM

9,613 posts, read 6,948,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmensch View Post
If Nikola succeeds Tesla will do very well. The successful implantation of a hydrogen infrastructure changes the world. Without it Nikola has no product.

And some here seem to think I am a Tesla fan. Sometimes. But Solar City is a pure marketing play with no technology involved. The roof tiles are border line dumb. They canget a premium but not more than 100 per cent if they vastly lower electric bills. Tesa present numbers are absurd.
Tesla won't take advantage of hydrogen because Elon is a stubborn idiot who thinks giant batteries are the answer to everything.
Hydrogen is much more scalable than batteries. I think hydrogen powered semis and garbage trucks are a much more practical application of the technology.

Old 08-13-2017, 09:37 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,183,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by octo View Post
EVs are the transportation equivalent of "once you go black...".

The torque and acceleration are just on a totally different level from ICEs it's not even a fair comparison. Smooth rocket vs. laggy and choppy (gears(!!!) and transmission).

About range and recharge: Not an issue if you have a house and don't need to drive 200 miles a day (ICEs are much better for that usage profile).

I have a VW V8 SUV, a turbo V6 Porsche and a BMW EV. Daily commute is with the super smooth, ultra cheap (free electricity at work) EV. Never a range problem. Travel is with either the VW or the Porsche.

EVs should be marketed via economy and power/acceleration. Something that is an immediate, tangible benefit to the owner. They are just so much better than ICE cars in these aspects.
Electricity is produced by the outlet, so it's free?

Old 08-13-2017, 09:51 PM

18,058 posts, read 10,350,196 times
Quote:
Tesla won't take advantage of hydrogen because Elon is a stubborn idiot who thinks giant batteries are the answer to everything.
Hydrogen is much more scalable than batteries. I think hydrogen powered semis and garbage trucks are a much more practical application of the technology.
You do not understand. I am not sure he believes in anything. But he is very good at milking the probabilities.

He has of course bet a few billion that the battery thing will break in way that can be dealt with by his factory. But at this point that appears a reasonable gamble.

And I too think Hydrogen may well end up the winner. But not yet. No cost effective way to produce it. And I suspect that Musk may get through two generations of batteries before the Hydrogen problem is solved. And by then he will have the massive manufacturing capability to ride the Hydrogen.

Old 08-13-2017, 10:46 PM

8,224 posts, read 3,497,598 times
Quote:
Take water, separate the oxygen from the hydrogen, it'll power gasoline or diesel. When ignited, it's only emissions are water vapor and oxides of nitrogen. Or N0X.

Old 08-14-2017, 02:54 AM

6,438 posts, read 6,918,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
Elon Musk is one of the greatest con man since Al Gore.
Elon makes a much better car. Without the subsidy he'd be doing fine; who buys a $100,000 car to get a $7500 tax break?

Old 08-14-2017, 07:36 AM

9,419 posts, read 11,166,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
In the last issue of Consumer Reports they did an article about Tesla's solar roof tiles, and they found that on many houses it will take 30 years to recover the cost of the roof, and there's no guarantee the solar tiles will even still be functional in 30 years.
A lot of this is about feeling good and bragging rights.

Quote:
I'm still waiting on the electric aeroplane, I mean 767/777/747 etc. Any day now.

Ditto, as you note, 'lektrik semis. And of course container ships and cruise ships.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayinAK View Post
Electricity is produced by the outlet, so it's free?
You are 150% right! And CLEAN! Do you see any fumes coming out of that outlet? NO NO NO!! Clean powah!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
Elon makes a much better car. Without the subsidy he'd be doing fine; who buys a $100,000 car to get a $7500 tax break?
Without the subsidy, he'd be nowhere.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:46 AM

9,981 posts, read 5,681,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Another thread illustrating that many people don't know the definition of "subsidy".
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
You happen to be one of those who does know. Others don't. Many of them equate a deductible business expense as a subsidy.
We're not talking about a deductible business expense here, we're talking about a personal tax CREDIT. I suppose you could technically claim it's still not a subsidy since it lets people keep their own money, but at any rate it's a significant incentive given to one technology to favor it over another.

But that's not the only favorable treatment electrics get. A big chunk of Tesla's revenue comes from selling carbon credits to other manufacturers on a government-created artificial market. Now that's a flat-out subsidy no matter how you slice it, the only difference from a traditional government subsidy being that the government is forcing other companies to either lose money on their own electric cars or subsidize Tesla.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive