Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 08:03 AM

14,241 posts, read 14,708,955 times

Advertisements

New 2017 Ford Explorer. Dropped something down between the driver's seat and the center console. Went fishing for it and found two seat cover (leather seats) tabs just hanging down. Checked other front seat and the same thing. Each tab had a sort of hook/flange so they were meant to be attached somewhere. Took it to the dealer. They were nice and fixed them but strange that it happened. Like the factory installer forgot to attach them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2017, 09:35 AM

9,613 posts, read 6,934,835 times
Dude it's a Ford.
We had a Ranger that the shift boot rubbing against the console. After our next Ranger I realized the first Ranger's boot was on backwards.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 PM

1,709 posts, read 4,127,777 times
It was assembled by a UAW employee. What do you expect?

I had a friend that bought a brand new Plymouth Horizon. There was an Omni (Dodge counterpart) logo where the Horizon logo should have been and to add insult to injury, it was upside down!

Vise Grip ran an advertisement bragging that a vise grip used to hold fenders in place while they were being attached on the assembly line was still holding that fender seven years later on a Ford.

If something that should be fastened is out of sight, why should a UAW worker fasten it if he has a corrupt union to go to bat for him when he is caught fouling up?

Old 08-12-2017, 01:15 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,972,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy100 View Post
Dude it's a Ford.
Dude.

My Ford is 20 years old. Looks almost new. Rides and drives like great ! Dude.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:21 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,972,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
It was assembled by a UAW employee. What do you expect?
Ever work on an automobile assembly line?

Some items are put in early at beginning of line. As it is much easier to do. Later the car may or may not have an option that requires that part.

I viewed a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. Had been prewired at factory for rear camera. Truck did not have any rear view camera.

Happens all of the time with all manufacturers.

Old 08-12-2017, 01:34 PM

14,241 posts, read 14,708,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Dude.

I have primarily owned Fords for the last 20 years. Prior to my Explorer, I had a 2005 Escape that I put 135K miles on and it ran like brand new. Prior to the Escape I had a 1997 T Bird. Prior to that a 1990 Taurus. They were all bought new and I only ever had one non-normal wear issue and that was with the Escape.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:34 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,188,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
New 2017 Ford Explorer. Dropped something down between the driver's seat and the center console. Went fishing for it and found two seat cover (leather seats) tabs just hanging down. Checked other front seat and the same thing. Each tab had a sort of hook/flange so they were meant to be attached somewhere. Took it to the dealer. They were nice and fixed them but strange that it happened. Like the factory installer forgot to attach them.
You can blame a company like Lear, Adient, or Recaro for that. Ford doesn't make seats - it relies on the previously named tier 1 suppliers to provide the seating systems for the vehicles.

Further, I'm going to say that there was nothing wrong with those tabs hanging down - they may have been there for assembly only and they are supposed to hang down. The dealer may have "fixed" them by simply screwing or taping them to the underside of the seat in the name of customer service.

Old 08-12-2017, 03:36 PM

9,869 posts, read 7,188,260 times
Quote:
Ever work on an automobile assembly line?

Some items are put in early at beginning of line. As it is much easier to do. Later the car may or may not have an option that requires that part.

I viewed a 2011 Toyota Tacoma. Had been prewired at factory for rear camera. Truck did not have any rear view camera.

Happens all of the time with all manufacturers.
That's part of the Toyota Manufacturing System - commonality of parts. It's cheaper and improves quality to have one wiring harness for every vehicle rather than have to engineer, source, and support multiple harnesses. It's done by all the manufacturers.

Old 08-12-2017, 04:47 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,820,293 times
Quote:
Dude.

I'm a Ford guy, and a customer was showing me his work van the other day, a Ford Econoline, and he has over 550,000 miles on it, same drivetrain, heads never been off ! He was changing the oil every 3,000 miles, but he puts that on in a week or so, and now he goes to 5,000 for oil changes.

He took it to the local Ford dealer and the service manager was extremely impressed......at first he thought the odometer read 55,000, but the guy told him to look at it again.

Old 08-12-2017, 07:26 PM

6,443 posts, read 9,798,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
I'm a Ford guy, and a customer was showing me his work van the other day, a Ford Econoline, and he has over 550,000 miles on it, same drivetrain, heads never been off ! He was changing the oil every 3,000 miles, but he puts that on in a week or so, and now he goes to 5,000 for oil changes.

He took it to the local Ford dealer and the service manager was extremely impressed......at first he thought the odometer read 55,000, but the guy told him to look at it again.

I like hearing stories like that regardless of the make and model. Some guys are very anal (I mean that in a good way) about taking care of their cars and it shows when they are able to get that kind of lifespan out of their rides!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive