Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 11:16 AM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
If you're getting only half the rated mileage, your driving style is more spirited than you realize.

I think road surface also makes a lot of difference. I'm not an aggressive driver. I drive fast enough, but jack rabbit starts and hard braking are rare in my cars. I don't believe I've ever had to replace brake pads on a car I bought new. My F250 had over 150K miles on it when traded, and the original pads were only half worn. My Saab had 180K on it, still with original pads. But when I took a job a few years ago that required frequent driving on gravel and crushed rock roads, down went the tire life. I'd I think that's particularly true of high performance tires and snow tires, which use a softer rubber for better gripping. I can't prove that's what's caused the more rapid wear, as less than 10% of my driving is on these roads, but nothing else in my driving habits has changed, so it just makes sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2017, 03:21 PM

1,111 posts, read 2,799,200 times
Tire life seems to be very different between Cape Cod and Arizona. In AZ, tires tend to "time out." Most folks I speak to about this tell me I ought to replace tires after around six years of use, as the heat of the area is tough on them (and batteries as well, another topic).

Therefore, I purchase modest quality tires for my vehicles as I do not expect to use them to the life of the tread, but rather to the life of the material they are made of.

I have personally witnessed (yes, witnessed) a friend's Jeep's tires blow out its sidewalls, once on a desert trail and, a week later, while I was following him down a secondary macadam road at about forty miles an hour, the tire on the opposite side blew out its sidewall as well.

Both tires had lots of tread left but were relatively old (forget their age, but well over 6 years). He purchased four new tires after number two blew out!

Rich

Old 08-13-2017, 03:52 PM

14,249 posts, read 14,740,927 times
I always buy new cars and I have yet to get more than 30K on original tires. One car as low as 20K.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:09 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,455,196 times
I get about 65-70% of the tread advertised.

Old 08-13-2017, 04:11 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
All of my high performance tires are lucky to see 12k miles max. I don't drive easy.

Old 08-13-2017, 07:15 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WyoNewk View Post
I think road surface also makes a lot of difference. I'm not an aggressive driver. I drive fast enough, but jack rabbit starts and hard braking are rare in my cars. I don't believe I've ever had to replace brake pads on a car I bought new. My F250 had over 150K miles on it when traded, and the original pads were only half worn. My Saab had 180K on it, still with original pads. But when I took a job a few years ago that required frequent driving on gravel and crushed rock roads, down went the tire life. I'd I think that's particularly true of high performance tires and snow tires, which use a softer rubber for better gripping. I can't prove that's what's caused the more rapid wear, as less than 10% of my driving is on these roads, but nothing else in my driving habits has changed, so it just makes sense.

"Off road" type driving wears tires more as there is a lot more slip and sudden loss/gain of traction than solid concrete/asphalt

Old 08-14-2017, 12:03 AM

28,115 posts, read 63,672,505 times
I don't but the stop and go hill driving takes a toll with a fully loaded service truck...

Mom got 80k miles on the rear tires of her 76 VW Rabbit. front about 50k

Light car, no power steering...

Old 08-14-2017, 06:02 AM

3,205 posts, read 2,623,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
WOW . . . lots of mileage being thrown around here.

Since retiring and moving "in town" years ago, I find myself replacing tires due to age (6 to 7 years max) long before mileage becomes an issue. I would much rather be Safe than Sorry.

Remember this old video?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDgSk5xWkrI
No offense, but I've seen enough ignorance from John Stossel to make me question anything he has reported on. If it was 1 A.M. and he told me it was night outside I would feel I needed to open the curtains and check for myself.

Especially disturbing is the tendency to assume that tighter standards advocated elsewhere are invariably correct, and the stubborn refusal to understand that manufactured goods are "brand new" by definition until they are sold, regardless of when they are made. The term doesn't mean 'freshly manufactured'.

That said, age certainly plays a part in the safety of a tire.

Last edited by rugrats2001; 08-14-2017 at 06:43 AM..

Old 08-14-2017, 06:33 AM

Location: Removing a snake out of the neighbor's washing machine
3,095 posts, read 2,041,231 times
Proper alignment, tire pressure, condition of suspension parts, and driving style all determine tire life longevity.

Old 08-14-2017, 09:38 AM

13,713 posts, read 12,435,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Walmart got caught selling "old" new tires.

Now, where/how did Walmart get these new "old" tires?
They were old inventory.

I've never gotten the whole life out of them. Too often, they wear prematurely, OR I get a flat or two and don't like mismatched tires...

Also, when I lived in the midwest I liked to keep newish tires on the car for winter time. "The warranty is good for 20K more miles" doesn't help you when the car gets squirrelly in the snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive