Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 06:17 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,981,682 times

Advertisements

READ post 31.

It's over. Done. All settled. Fini.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2017, 07:19 AM

11,904 posts, read 5,582,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by latestgood View Post
Thanks Guys! I was ignorant because I don't know a lot about cars.

Apparently, I'm getting off easy because his brother owns a bodyshop. He told me that average going price is $1700 - $2500 to remove scratches front and rear doors. But because I was honest with him, he wanted to return the favor.

Phew...
Kudos to both of you for being decent people!

I love a happy ending.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:28 AM

5,020 posts, read 7,444,244 times
Quote:
Thanks Guys! I was ignorant because I don't know a lot about cars.

Apparently, I'm getting off easy because his brother owns a bodyshop. He told me that average going price is $1700 - $2500 to remove scratches front and rear doors. But because I was honest with him, he wanted to return the favor.

Phew...
What a great post
Your honesty, as well as the others involved in the mishap, is a breath of fresh air.

Best of luck!

Old 08-18-2017, 08:16 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,462,224 times
Quote:
I did something dumb today. As I was leaving the parking lot, I scratched a car next to me. It's a small scratch on his rear door panel. And after he took it to the shop, they estimate the cost to be $700. Isn't this little too excessive? It's a small scratch. His car is white 2015 BMW 3 series. Is he trying to cheat me? If possible I would like to stay away from involving my insurance because my deductible is $500.

Thanks
Nope, for that scratch, that's about right.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:52 AM

50,245 posts, read 47,005,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
I own a BMW 3-series. Last week, a woman hit me from behind while I was stopped at a traffic light. She was going less than 5 mph. Her air bags did not go off. The cost to replace my bumper and trunk (small dent, about the size of my palm) was $5200. They will probably not "fix the scratch". They will repaint the whole door, So, no, $700 to repaint a door is not unusual. The BMW body shop charged $40/hour for labor.
40? Most shops charge at least 100.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:56 AM

1,078 posts, read 937,114 times
Add me to everyone who thinks that sounds about right. Let insurance handle it and move on, dricing a little more carefully

Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 AM

5,511 posts, read 4,472,347 times
I had to take my car to a body shop (not to be confused with a mechanic) due to exterior damage. One of the younger employees there was at his desk. He had all sorts of certs and "diploma-like" things hanging on his wall. I skimmed through them and recall at least 2 of them were related to painting, with one of them being awarded for knowledge in something like "paint theory and application". Not only is the labor not as straightforward, but there's also a lot of thought that goes into it to.

Old 08-18-2017, 12:54 PM

2,565 posts, read 1,640,431 times
Quote:
I did something dumb today. As I was leaving the parking lot, I scratched a car next to me. It's a small scratch on his rear door panel. And after he took it to the shop, they estimate the cost to be $700. Isn't this little too excessive? It's a small scratch. His car is white 2015 BMW 3 series. Is he trying to cheat me? If possible I would like to stay away from involving my insurance because my deductible is $500.

Thanks
I don't know about the cost estimate, but big thumbs up to you for not just driving away.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:20 PM

2,578 posts, read 2,067,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
OP, that is not a small scratch.

Myself, I'd pay it out of pocket and hope my insurance company never found out.
First off, thank you, OP, for doing the right thing here.

Second, I would also pay of out of pocket for $700 as that is what my agent advised when I did the same thing five or six years ago. I backed into someone in a parking lot, totally my fault, and the scratch (smaller than what shows in your photo) was going to take about $700 to make whole again. The guy took it to three shops of his choice, got estimates that were all about the same and chose the shop he wanted to use (it is in my hometown and, honestly, it was the shop I would have chosen ... I don't recall it that was the high bid, but I recall they were all in the same ballpark as he sent me all three).

My agent advised out-of-pocket as to not affect my rates, but did suggest that the other party needs to sign off on a Release of All Claims (google it and model after one of the thousands you find).

Whether the other party fixes it is really up to them. But your actions - accidental - damaged their property.

Old 08-18-2017, 02:35 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Campfires View Post
Ummm.... do you understand that a "police report" means nothing in this circumstance? In fact, the cops would do absolutely nothing. This is a civil issue, not criminal. That's why it's called an "accident".

Wow... you must live a very fearful life.
If a police report is filed for an accident, it can affect your insurance.

Nope. Don't live "a very fearful life". Just don't need to pay anymore for car insurance than I already do.....most people probably don't want to pay more for car insurance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive