Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2017, 03:23 PM

2,458 posts, read 2,473,619 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
We have two cars w/Sirius in both
Need to cancel in mine because in our home area I can get good local FM like PBS station or other music I like...not too much advertising...
But we travel to FL often and need the Sirius connection for decent music
We don't have music on our phones...not our thing--
And the area of Fl we stay in has the worst music stations FM or AM --
Way too much advertising and just choices we don't care for...
I'm just like you. I'd pay twice what they want just to avoid all the commercials.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2017, 03:47 PM

929 posts, read 2,722,039 times
I'm in the same boat, mine ran out. I travel and enjoy it.
So I pay the 20 something a month.

Old 08-21-2017, 03:59 PM

9,600 posts, read 31,688,287 times
About 15 years ago I had a Sirius Tuner installed in each of my vehicles plus a couple of Home Tuners for my home entertainment.

A Lifetime Membership for my pick-up plus $5 for each additional tuner was a bargain for unlimited music of my choice with NO COMMERCIALS. After a few years and the merger with XM . . . it was a rapid decline of both quality and price. Commercials and DJ Chit-Chat became about as bad as FM Radio plus the price of the additional tuners escalated to about 10 bucks each.

Since Sirius opted not to honor the original contract which guaranteed the original price due to my lifetime membership, I dropped the second vehicle tuner plus the Home Tuners and purchased two Grace Internet receivers for my home. Pandora Radio is far superior for great music with interruptions at an absolute minimum.

After about ten years I can honestly state that I do not miss SiriusXM one bit and would drop it in my Pick-Up if not for the Lifetime Membership.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:30 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,849,160 times
While I still play the renewal game every 5-6 months, I'm tiring of it as I did when dealing with the cable renewal people...who I no longer miss after waving goodbye when their service shuffles, pricing and attitudes got offensive ...and better alternatives arrived.

Now for music, I often prefer Pandora or occasionally stations from IHeart Radio (music/news/talk) bluetoothed through the car system. I even have some fav tunes on the "radio drive" and portable memory. The biggest 'advantage' I find for Sirius is it's easier to quickly tune/change the car radio along with using local stations...and of course longer distance travel.

New systems and technology keep adding better/cheaper options. This should keep Sirius and competitors from getting too pricey or annoying.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:46 AM

7,179 posts, read 9,309,123 times
I think their business model stinks.

I enjoy the service but I hate that I always have to call near the end of my subscription and threaten to cancel in order to get a better deal.

I usually end up talking to "Bob" in India and I have to ask him to repeat himself a few times in order to understand what he is saying. That ordeal takes up my time. I hate it!

They must have enough rubes who lazily renew at full price or they wouldn't have that crappy business model.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:17 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,504,677 times
I'm on the $25 for 5 months plan. Once the plan is about to expire, i call in saying that I'm going to cancel and then they renew the plan. Been doing this for 4 years.The older plan used to be $30 for 6 months.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:24 AM

1,279 posts, read 1,722,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
My sound quality is outstanding....music and talk. That's one of the reasons it would be hard to let this go.

But I've read other comments like yours and I wonder if it has to do with the kind of receiver you have.
We have factory head units in both our cars, one with an XM receiver and the other with a Sirius receiver.

I can listen to the same program on terrestrial ESPN and on satellite ESPN, and the satellite broadcast is always of a much lower quality. I read somewhere that SiriusXM broadcasts at a lower quality on purpose, mostly due to bandwidth concerns. Basically, if they improved the sound quality, they couldn't offer as many stations.

Old 08-22-2017, 07:56 AM

28,114 posts, read 63,647,953 times
They have been relentless with my retired neighbor...

He is legally deaf... it doesn't seem to matter as the phone calls and offers continue.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:30 AM

2,951 posts, read 2,516,374 times
I want to thank you all that have Sirius, use Pandora what ever is a streaming service.

Keeps those checks coming to me monthly. And no we don't have it, never have.

Old 08-22-2017, 11:47 AM

12,350 posts, read 9,712,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by papilgee4evaeva View Post
We have factory head units in both our cars, one with an XM receiver and the other with a Sirius receiver.

I can listen to the same program on terrestrial ESPN and on satellite ESPN, and the satellite broadcast is always of a much lower quality. I read somewhere that SiriusXM broadcasts at a lower quality on purpose, mostly due to bandwidth concerns. Basically, if they improved the sound quality, they couldn't offer as many stations.
Have no comment on any of that. All I can tell you is that my fidelity is so good that I'm hearing diction and syllables that I've never heard before in songs that I've listened to for 50 years or more. Excellent high frequency response and excellent bass as well.

This is, by far, the best audio system I've ever had in a car and my Sirius XM sound is outstanding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive