Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 12:30 PM

6,540 posts, read 7,121,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
These are short term loaner cars that are maintained by Lexus.....not by the people borrowing them. And none of them have the faintest weird smell at all....and I have a sensitive nose. No stains, dings, etc. If they had them, they've been restored. Haven't been involved in any accidents...not even fender benders.
I've driven many Porsche loaners with cheapest being $65k, current fleet has $120k new Panamera, Boxster, 911 and we're not a high volume area. They have zero problems selling these vehicles, many people prefer to buy them. I'd buy a loaner over new or lease return and the warranty is much better and longer.

OP, I don't know which one you should pick, normally I'd always say new year as it'll be worth more down road, but if the other has everything you want I'd go with that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2017, 01:39 PM

21,836 posts, read 25,109,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
how about a CPO lease trade in from a single owner? I would think that would be worth paying 1-2k more for than the service loaner or fleet car.
Depends. I wouldn't say that at all.

People are still just people. Some people are completely self-absorbed so they don't have the same respect for someone else's property and are more likely to abuse a rental/loaner vehicle than their own personal vehicle (although we're talking about the bottom of the barrel Lexus so I don't know how much that even would matter to that type of person anyway). Other people have some manners. Plus, again, it's the basic Lexus so it's not like a Mustang GT where you might want to go do donuts in it. Thing is you don't know anything about the previous owner on a CPO lease trade-in. They might have been great or might not really have cared because, just like a loaner, a lease isn't your vehicle. It's just a long-term rental but you can abuse a car for 2-3 years and not do maintenance, drive it hard, and so on. It's not really a big deal to you as the wear and tear on the mechanical parts isn't going to be your problem anyway.

With a loaner it's more of an average with some people who drive hard and some who do not. The maintenance is more likely to have been done on time by the dealer than an average leaser imo, plus lower mileage.

Old 08-20-2017, 01:52 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,527 times
Get the one you want to get.
Regarding the warranty, make sure it is a Lexus warranty and not a third-party.
Also also never pay full price for an extended warranty ... they are huge profit margin for the dealership. If you go on Lexus forums I'm sure you can find other places to buy the Lexus warranty, as you don't have to buy it from the dealer where you bought the car. But definitely negotiate and find out what people are paying for your level of warranty.

Old 08-20-2017, 02:00 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
Get the one you want to get.
Regarding the warranty, make sure it is a Lexus warranty and not a third-party.
Also also never pay full price for an extended warranty ... they are huge profit margin for the dealership. If you go on Lexus forums I'm sure you can find other places to buy the Lexus warranty, as you don't have to buy it from the dealer where you bought the car. But definitely negotiate and find out what people are paying for your level of warranty.
Thanks for the info. Yes, it's a Lexus warranty. Where might I find some active Lexus forums to ask?

Old 08-20-2017, 04:03 PM

8,168 posts, read 8,520,526 times
If you were buying on strictly the merits of the car as transportation, you wouldn't even be at the Lexus** dealer. Buy the one you like the most.
"** Toyota with lockwashers"

Old 08-20-2017, 04:16 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,824,867 times
i dont consider mileage when looking at a vehicle to purchase, and the only reason i look at model year is fr any possible upgrade over the previous year. for instance, when i was looking for a grand marquis to replace my fairmont, i knew that in 2003 ford went to a rack and pinion steering, as well as adding other suspension updates that i knew i wanted.

otherwise model year is also something i dont consider.

what i do consider though is vehicle condition. is it in good overall condition? has been well maintained? things like this are more important than anything else.

Old 08-20-2017, 05:24 PM

1,614 posts, read 2,299,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
If you were buying on strictly the merits of the car as transportation, you wouldn't even be at the Lexus** dealer. Buy the one you like the most.
"** Toyota with lockwashers"
I never said I was buying strictly on the merits of the car as transportation. Not sure your point.

Old 08-20-2017, 08:21 PM

158 posts, read 604,595 times
We just bought a CPO 2013 RX350 and LOVE it!!! When we were shopping, there was a glut of black ones. We really wanted white, and ended up paying a couple thousand more to get one. So my two cents is... get the color you want.

Old 08-21-2017, 12:05 AM

3,125 posts, read 3,021,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unit731 View Post
Of all of the used cars out there you choose the "loaner" car.
Driven by people with pets, with kids with ice cream spilled in back, cigar smokers, cigarette smokers, and more.

Good deal.

Bottom line. Get the car that you want so that there will be no regrets.
Used cars aren't used by "people with pets, with kids with ice cream spilled in back, cigar smokers, cigarette smokers, and more?"

I would think that people are usually more respectful in a loaner car than in a car that they actually own and then sell used? Not to say that none of these things happen, but I can see a cigarette smoker (I'm one myself) maybe puffing on a couple of sneaked cigarettes in a loaner car with the windows completely rolled down and then trying to air the thing out so that they don't get charged vs. someone chain smoking in a car that they actually own and don't have to answer to anyone for...

I can see someone telling their kids "no food in the car" for a loaner car that they're returning in a few days, but they'd probably cave eventually in a car that they owned...

I'm just not understanding your logic at all, really.

Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,831,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TN2HSV View Post
These are cars used by Lexus owners who bring their cars in for service and need a car to drive for the day. Not rental cars that people abuse. I've driven 4 or 5 of them....they look, smell & run like new. They have been maintained by the dealer and detailed with a fine toothed comb. Yes, it is a good deal.
With that low of mileage on both, it is not really an issue. The one year thing will enter into it when you go to sell it, but not significantly. A lot depends on if you keep your cars for a long time or trade them often. If you do keep them for a lot of years, a one year difference won't mean too much.

Get the one you like, you are the one who has to drive it every day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive