Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 04:17 PM

5,743 posts, read 17,600,206 times

Advertisements

I don't recall what I was taught back in PA drivers' ed back in the 1970's, but I AVOID pulling out into the intersection, staying behind the white line, until I see a break in the traffic coming from the opposite direction. I'll then pull out into the intersection and time it so that I immediately cross behind the last car in line.

Just because a person pulls out into the intersection doesn't mean that they are also quick to make the left once the last car goes by. I've counted to 1 or 2 Mississippi before some people loitering in the intersection even take their foot off the brake. What good does that do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 04:24 PM

8,166 posts, read 8,523,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
<>Just because a person pulls out into the intersection doesn't mean that they are also quick to make the left once the last car goes by. I've counted to 1 or 2 Mississippi before some people loitering in the intersection even take their foot off the brake. What good does that do?
And opposite traffic to you doesn't always stop. I watch for the front car approaching the intersection to actually stop before taking off.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:39 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,382,548 times
That's the way I was taught in California. But they changed the law at some point, that you have to be out of the intersection by the time your light turns red, so floating out in the middle might get you a ticket.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:43 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,069,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by riffwraith View Post
Hi

I assume the laws are basically the same in most states, so here goes....

Tho I currently reside in CT, I grew up in NYC, and therefore went to driving school there. I remember being taught, that if you want to make a left, you pull up into the intersection, and wait there for oncoming traffic to clear. And this is what I used to see all the time in and around NYC. But not in CT

My understanding is this:

When attempting to make a left, and the light is green and there is nobody ahead of you, you do not stop behind the white line; you pull up into the intersection, and sit in the intersection waiting for oncoming traffic to clear, and then you proceed. This would hold true whether or not the left is being made from a turn bay. It is when the light is red, or there is a vehicle ahead of you (only one car is allowed in the intersection at any one given time) that you stop behind the white line.

In CT, it seems as tho 90% of drivers stop behind the white line, when the light is green and there is nobody ahead of them. Is it just me? Does the law say to stop behind the white line, even under the aforementioned conditions? Or does it say to pull up into the intersection? And if it does say that, is it a requirement, or is it at the driver's discretion?

Thanks in advance.
If you have a green light, or a green arrow, then you have a right to enter the intersection. If the light turns yellow, or red while you are in the intersection then you have a right to complete your turn at that time.

Old 08-22-2017, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphfr View Post
I was taught to pull into the intersection. Now we have red light cameras. In my experience less people are doing this because of a possible violation.
A red light camera would only take your picture if you pull into the intersection while the light was red. So red light cameras are not really relevant to pulling into the intersection while the light is green. On the other hand if you wait behind the line until the traffic is clear, then pull into the intersection as the light is changing, that could result in a ticket.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:15 PM

1,067 posts, read 1,193,808 times
Under Minnesota law, the driver can enter the intersection under a yellow light or green light. Just make sure the wheels on the vehicle are straight so if you get bumped from behind you are going straight and not into oncoming traffic.

I know there are people who will not enter the intersection because of the possibility of getting struck by a red light runner coming from either direction.

Old 08-22-2017, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
I always pulled into the intersection too, as I was taught when learning to rive years ago in Los Angeles. But a few years ago I learned that in Oregon that is illegal. You have to wait behind the lines.
I don't believe that any Oregon law address pulling into the intersection. The law says that if you have a flashing yellow arrow you can precede but first you must yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic. That's all Oregon law says about it. Make the movement, but yield first.

Quote:
Flashing Yellow Arrow - A flashing yellow arrow means that
you may make the movement indicated by the arrow, but first
you must yield to pedestrians and oncoming traffic. Oncoming
traffic has a steady green signal.
Oregon Driver Manual

Old 08-22-2017, 06:07 PM

1,780 posts, read 4,026,080 times
Here in TX that would be a dangerous thing to do on a busy intersection, because of of all the red light runners. Typically 2-3 cars continue entering an intersection even after the light turns red, so there's high risk if you're waiting in the middle of the intersection to turn left across traffic.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:22 PM

1,524 posts, read 1,311,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crashj007 View Post
And opposite traffic to you doesn't always stop. I watch for the front car approaching the intersection to actually stop before taking off.
I was thinking about that too. We have some intersection here in PA where "opposing traffic has extended green." The first time I saw this sign I didn't even know what it meant but I figured it out in this situation when I assumed the opposing traffic also had just gotten a red light and wanted to complete my left turn. Thankfully I still made it safely. But now I stop a little ahead of the stop line but not that far. I basically stop far enough that I think I should be able to complete the turn but I'm back far enough that I wouldn't have to go when it turns red.

Old 08-22-2017, 06:34 PM
KCZ

4,669 posts, read 3,663,822 times
So what happens when you pull into the intersection waiting for the oncoming traffic to clear, which it never does, and now the light has turned red again, and you're blocking the crossing traffic, which is now pulling into the intersection?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive