Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2017, 09:01 PM

939 posts, read 787,346 times

Advertisements

If I'm doing the speed limit in the #1 lane and a cop moves behind me from the #2 lane but keeps the same distance that they were doing previously, I'll match whatever the flow of traffic is doing and stay where I'm at.

If they start getting closer to my vehicle, I'll move to the #2 lane.

I'm never afraid to go faster than a cop if it's in keeping with the flow, as long as they're beside or coming up on me.

If they are going faster than me in the immediate distance, I'll stay the proper speed as even though I know the flows is going faster but they may not know or won't admit that they knew.

On city streets or highways, I set my cruise control to exactly the limit, from 15-50.

From 55 and upwards I set it 4 miles above and have never got a ticket for it.

Of course when I was much younger with my Camaro, that was a different story.

I was told if you're speeding and a cop starts approaching, you never put your brakes on, activating your brake lights in the process.

Instead, take the foot off the gas and give the pedal the tiniest flick with your foot and supposedly that helped cut the speed a tiny bit quicker, if you did it correctly!

I haven't tried that since back in those days probably, but I can't see how it worked if it actually did, but do it we did!

Once on the 101 by Universal City, I was going at a good clip, possibly 75+ in a 65.

I noticed a cop approaching and I followed the above method.
My speed was dropping just about to the limit, and as he was along side of me I heard a loud stern voice come blasting out of nowhere from a PA system grumbling, "And KEEP it that way, TOO!", as he continued to pass me!

Though he couldn't see or hear me, I was thanking him, but couldn't stop laughing as I thought for sure I was gonna get a ticket.

I once heard from a cop that if two cars are breaking the same law, he'd pull over the higher profile car...bright red or yellow, or even a sports car, whatever one that would catch the passing motorist's eyes more, as a word to the wise type of caution.

The Oregon DMV states that you can get a ticket for one mile above.

I seriously doubt they would enforce that unless the weather was bad, or in a school district with kids in the area, or you were swerving, or somehow driving incorrectly.

When driving in areas where I see single deer, elk, moose. etc. roadside, I follow the rule; if you see one, there's a good chance there are others real close by.

I follow that same rule on the freeways.

If I see one cop with Radar, or roadside already writing a ticket, there's bound to be others further ahead in either direction doing the same, and it's usually true.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2017, 11:44 PM

12,908 posts, read 27,977,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ackmondual View Post
In the real world, this holds true. Under the law, not always. You're at the mercy of a cop who's within the bounds of the law to pull you over for going 15 over, as they may need to make an example out of someone, or they may need to fill some quota. Unfortunately, you don't want to be low hanging fruit if that's the case. OTOH, the "good driver" doing within the limit gets off scot free. Not wish ill will onto such folks, but it's possible they'll get into an accident, and take the blame there anyways.

I actually did get ticketed for such a case... the cop said I was speeding. Even though I was doing 17 over the limit, he bumped it down to 10 over b/c at 15+ over, he'd have to hit me with a reckless driving citation, but did notice despite my speed, I actually was NOT driving recklessly (I was looking when lane changing, and maintaining proper space cushions). I got cited as careless driving instead. I would've liked to avoid even that, but still a lot less of severe than reckless driving. Not to mention not having to show up in traffic court.
where do you live that 15 over is recklass op?

i had a 92 on a 55 and just paid an extra $50 and it became a parking ticket

Old 09-05-2017, 07:38 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pretty in black View Post
I drive exactly the speed limit. I drive like an angel whenever a cop gets behind me. LOL As soon as he passes, I'm a speed demon again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGab View Post
No, I go the speed limit if a cop is behind me. Not over and not under. I've even had cops ride my butt, I let them go around me. Not going faster so they can pull me over!
A few people have said this. You go exactly the speed limit? Are you staring at your speedometer the whole time?

Old 09-06-2017, 05:50 PM

12,883 posts, read 13,974,852 times
No but I'll go from doing about 10 over the limit to about 5 over.

Old 09-09-2017, 07:41 AM

1,524 posts, read 1,309,452 times
These replies raise a new question: Have any of you ever gotten a ticket for going barely over the limit (like less than 5 over)?

Old 09-09-2017, 09:33 PM

7,448 posts, read 7,579,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGH423 View Post
These replies raise a new question: Have any of you ever gotten a ticket for going barely over the limit (like less than 5 over)?
I got pulled over by the CHP for going 59 in a 55. Cop said he was giving me a break by not writing me a ticket. It may have been a fishing expedition, as my car had Alaska plates.

Old 09-10-2017, 10:28 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,036,263 times
Quote:
This means going really slow and the cop probably doesn't even want to be stuck going that slow. But it's taking a risk if you go over the speed limit. What do you do?
Only if some actual situation on the road calls for going under the speed limit. What's he going to do, arrest me for following the law? Heck, if the cop is going significantly slower than the speed limit himself, I'll even pass him if it's legal to do so.

Old 09-14-2017, 07:00 AM

1,359 posts, read 1,805,017 times
I go the limit or no more than five above if there's a cop behind me and I move out of the way as soon as possible. Never been stopped for doing that either.

What gets me is that they typically drive much faster than the posted speed limit (without lights on). Aren't they supposed to abide by the same laws unless they are headed to a call?

Old 09-24-2017, 09:55 AM

89 posts, read 74,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
They should just install speed limiters on cars that adjust accordingly to the speed limit of the road. That would "cure" all the speeders and make it such a safer place

I'm sure the cops would love to not have to worry about speeders anymore and focus on more important matters
Perhaps the soon to come driverless cars will do this?

Old 09-24-2017, 10:07 AM

9,512 posts, read 6,092,135 times
Quote:
In my city there is a city ordnance regarding the fine being doubled once you are 10 mph over the speed limit.

It's unusual to be legitimately pulled over for going 4 mph over posted limits because this is "small time" as far as revenue for the city is concerned. While a cop has the person going 5mph over pulled over; another 15 people going 10+mph over will drive by & that is money out the window.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive