Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 03:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,305,373 times

Advertisements

Not even close.

With my current cars, although there are quite a few mid-'90s Lincoln Town Cars around, not many are dark blue.

And I have yet to see another 1976 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine within 20 miles of where I live. There is a '73 in a neighborhood near mine but it has primer and no vinyl roof.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 03:24 PM

2,459 posts, read 2,476,905 times
Still do it ever now and then, usually when I get kicked out of the bar before closing time.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:27 PM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
SOOOO many times.

I used to drive a brownish/bronzish Malibu. So did someone else, who shopped at the same grocery store as me. More than once, I tried to put my key in the door, and then realize it wasn't my car.

And now I drive an old Saturn, and I'll be darned, there's another Saturn I see in parking lots, that looks just like mine, except for the stuff IN the cars and the difference in license plates.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:29 PM

1,166 posts, read 876,423 times
This happened when I was a little kid (probably around 8-10).

My grandmother and I went to the local grocery store to do some shopping, but once we got inside she realized she'd forgotten something and sent me back out to the car to retrieve it. She drove a 2005 Buick Century at the time and I walked up to what I thought was her car and hopped in the backseat to get whatever it was she'd forgotten. Well I started looking around and realized "Hey, this isn't my grandma's car!" because all the items inside the car were different. So I go out and looked around, her car was 3 spaces away. Both cars were cashmere metallic and both looked identical when looking at them from a distance.

Now I always double check when in doubt before just jumping in.

Old 08-24-2017, 03:47 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,762,441 times
We have a dark blue Ford Explorer SUV, with keyless ignition. My wife parked by the door in our post office, to pick up the mail in our box. She came out, got into the SUV and started it up, and was about to drive out of the lot. A man screamed at her, that was his SUV. My wife said it was hers. The man pointed to the next car, which was our SUV. She apologized, and he had a good life.

It is amazing that in a small town, that there would be two dark blue Explorers that the electronic keying system would work on either one parked next to one another at the post office. The only difference, was the other one had out of state plates and was driven by a tourist.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:22 PM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
No my car is subtly customized all around. It not being a Honda Accord or Toyota Camry also helps.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:54 PM

68,329 posts, read 54,373,658 times
Did it with a rental car one time, was attending a trade show in the RCA Dome and came out, found what I thought was my white Chevy something or other and was starting to curse my luck when the key wouldn't work until I realized 'mine' was another row over.

Old 08-24-2017, 04:58 PM

34,230 posts, read 18,571,948 times
Yes! I had a rental car for a business trip, a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry, I think. I went into a convenience store to get a bottle of water. I came out opened the driver side door, and plopped into the seat. I turned to my right, and there is a woman sitting next to me in the passenger seat. I calmly said to her, "This isn't my car is it?". We both started laughing, and she said no. I quickly got out, and apologized profusely. As I was pulling out, we saw each other and waved, and she obviously saw I was telling the truth because I had told her my rental car was exactly like hers. And it was!

Old 08-24-2017, 05:05 PM

7,029 posts, read 4,893,080 times
I just did that the other day. I drive a purple (NOT MY CHOICE OF COLOR) PT Cruiser and you'd be surprised at how small those things look behind an SUV. Anyway, I came out and walked right up to what I thought was my car. First thing I thought when the key wouldn't turn was, "I've broken my damn lock."

Looked up and there was my car on the other side of the divider. Some days it doesn't pay to chew through the ropes.

But really, how many purple PTs can there be in one small town? I drove into Walmart once and there were two of them, separated by a hunking big old SUV and a half. The SUV was leaving as I drove past, so I thought, "Why not?" and let him go. Then I parked between the two other purple PT Cruisers.

Mine was the only one left when I came back, but I'd have loved to have seen the faces of the other owners when they came back out....

Old 08-24-2017, 05:18 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,995,249 times
No, but just the opposite. Had a L300 Saturn wagon and pulled into a roadside rest area in CA and parked on the side of a Expedition and the same color and year L300.

Came out of the bathroom and saw a very experasted lady trying to open my car door with her fob.

What she did't see was the interior and rims were different.

We did have a goo laugh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive