Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2017, 08:21 PM

844 posts, read 1,442,432 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChickPea77 View Post
So today I was waiting for my dad outside Asda in the car when someone opened the boot and put the shopping in , I thought it was my dad but then I looked out of the driver window and there was a man I had never seen before who then asked me why I was in the car as he thought it was his car , he then realised his car was three spaces down and took his shopping with him.
I was coming out of the store one day, a women had a car that looked just like mine...as I was going to put the key in her car, she came out of the store and was startled and started staring at me. I then looked on the passenger seat and saw items that wasn't mine, realized it wasn't my car and walked off, while she was just staring at me. She probably thought I was going in her vehicle on purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2017, 08:30 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,492,164 times
When I had a truck that was only 15 years old, the model and color were common enough. My current truck is approaching three decades and losing the paint, so I don't make that mistake now.

Old 08-26-2017, 10:14 PM

5,151 posts, read 4,527,166 times
Way back in college, a friend owned a dark green Pinto. We went to a powwow on campus. She gave the keys to a friend & I to go get her car & pick her up, as she was dancing in the next powwow dance.

We went down to the lot, got the car, picked up our friend, started driving off-campus...got stopped by campus police. Two Asian dudes reported their car...a dark green Pinto, as stolen.

We couldn't get the keys to come out of the ignition switch, but told our story to cops, who followed us back up to the lot...where our friend's car sat.

After a lot of jiggling, the keys came out of the ignition of the guy's car...friend proved ownership of her car via D/L, and we all drove away.

You go, Ford!

Old 08-27-2017, 12:16 AM

3 posts, read 1,763 times
I'd be hitting the remote and nothing is happening! It's someone else's car! No I have Captain Micky on the antenna so I now where to go!

Old 08-28-2017, 08:32 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiluvr1228 View Post
If you have a remote, press the lock button a couple of time and the car will beep. Can't tell you how many times I have had to do this in order to find my car.
True. My remote wasn't working properly for 2-3 yrs, in that the lights wouldn't illuminate when unlocking the door. I don't think the horn sounded either, but I just don't recall now. Found out recently, during 1 of the 4 times a UHaul trailer was dis/connected from my car, someone disconnected or broke something (I forget what it was now), so Honda just fixed it on my last visit for airbag recall replacement. Now I just forget it works again.

I'd also like to press that red Panic button to see what it does & if it would be helpful, but I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to turn it off. Next time I need an oil change, I'll try it there... that way I'll be surrounded by guys who can probably help me.

Honestly, I just began parking straight ahead of the doors, no matter how far back I need to walk & regardless of weather. Because as I'm getting older, I don't want to be identified as the old, forgetful babe wandering lost around the parking lot, again.

Old 08-28-2017, 08:47 AM

3,094 posts, read 1,998,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runswithscissors View Post
Once as a dog walker, I walked the dog back into the WRONG APARTMENT. The guy was sitting in his underwear playing video games. He had left the door unlocked.
But the Basset Hound LOVED visiting hahaha.
Ahahaha. When I was a hairdresser, I tripped over my own bloody shoe & fell chest first into some poor lad's face. As a young girl, I was mortified, turned 4 colors of red & apologized profusely. He said, "Don't worry. I just want you to know that you've worked very hard for the giant tip I'm going to leave you".

I'm sure you were video game man's fave dog walker!

Old 08-28-2017, 09:07 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times
Kind of the reverse situation a few decades ago: I had a nearly perfect 1980s Mazda RX7. I dropped it off for new tires and alignment. It was silver with red striping and a sunroof.

When I went to pick it up, they got my keys and sent their guy out to the yard to bring my car up. He came up in a rusted out POS red RX7 with-no sunroof and the interior all shredded. I asked what the heck they did to my car. They kept insisting it was mine, my key worked in it.

Apparently, Mazda only had a limited number of key patterns. By chance my RX7 and the red POS had the same key pattern. They had put mine inside the garage becasue I was so adamant about them taking good car of it (i loved that car), so the only Mazda RX7 they had in the yard was the red POS. They eventually got it sorted out, but it was pretty funny at first.

Old 08-28-2017, 10:51 AM

1,009 posts, read 1,989,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarciaMarshaMarcia View Post
Way back in college, a friend owned a dark green Pinto. We went to a powwow on campus. She gave the keys to a friend & I to go get her car & pick her up, as she was dancing in the next powwow dance.

We went down to the lot, got the car, picked up our friend, started driving off-campus...got stopped by campus police. Two Asian dudes reported their car...a dark green Pinto, as stolen.

We couldn't get the keys to come out of the ignition switch, but told our story to cops, who followed us back up to the lot...where our friend's car sat.

After a lot of jiggling, the keys came out of the ignition of the guy's car...friend proved ownership of her car via D/L, and we all drove away.

You go, Ford!
I got a set of keys from a 74 Maverick in a junk yard back in 85, they fit and worked in my 71 Maverick's doors, but not the ignition switch.

Old 08-28-2017, 01:18 PM

6,590 posts, read 11,284,036 times
I had two incidences.

I had a black Acura Integra when I was in college. Parked in front of a bank so my GF can use the ATM. I'm looking out my window and no more than 15 seconds later the door opens. I'm like "wow, that was fast" as I turn and made eye contact with this girl I've never seen before. She gasps, looks around, gets out and gets in the car in front of me. Another Acura Integra.

Another time, had a rental car in San Francisco. The wife and I were visiting Twin Peaks and afterwards, we get into "our car". I go to start the engine and the damn key won't fit. I'm fumbling around trying to figure the hell is going on when I notice this guy standing right out side the door: "what are you doing?" I look at him puzzled as I'm not sure what he's asking - "Huh?". "I said, what are you doing? This is my car".

OOOH. I apologized and got out and realized our car is two cars over. Same model/color etc. We both got a kick out of it. My wife was super embarrassed.

Old 08-29-2017, 07:43 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,563 posts, read 81,147,605 times
Thinking about it, I have never had a car that was so ordinary that there were others just like it around. Currently, it's rare to see another Challenger in the parking lot, but then they are usually black or silver, and mine is red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive