Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2017, 07:10 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,819,667 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
You sure showed them.

I wonder if you work for free.

OP seems like the type of customer that gets fired from businesses.

Wants everything for free, refuses to pay for stuff. Wants to bring his own parts in, etc.

There's no pleasing people like him. He doesn't get his way and he goes online to create false "reviews" and give false statements about how businesses rip him off. At least we heard the full story this time.
Bring in my own parts? Nope. Bought both parts at the Honda dealership. And no "false" reviews. This is the real deal. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2017, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Does anyone else have the feeling that the people working on the OP's car probably did the dealership equivalent of spitting on his hamburger?

I don't know what that would be, but I'm pretty sure it happened.
Good point. Thanks for posting! I better check those lug nuts.....

Old 08-24-2017, 07:20 PM

13,284 posts, read 8,449,930 times
yup! I get my wipers put on for FREE after I purchase them. I get my Battery installed for FREE when I buy it. I get my Battery cables installed for free when I buy them. The sales guy is not losing anything when He does those things.

In a business I worked for we "delivered large equipment " for FREE. Hundreds of miles sometimes.
we installed software onto computers for FREE. we didn't lose a customer...It expanded because we were willing to go the Extra mile to show our customers we were in the people business and satisfactions came at a cost....the cost of retaining them.

And yes some of our customers were car dealerships....They were the epitome of Haggling. The owners were RICH for a reason....

I do find it petty that the OP couldn't put on a hubcap. Wonder if he also has someone unloosen his gas cap...

Old 08-24-2017, 07:26 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclasser View Post
Haha oh wow OP you really showed them!
No joke. He hit 'em where it hurts. I'm glad the I've never had to go up against the OP in a game of Tic-Tac-Toe. I'd have no chance with such cunning intellect.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IShootNikon View Post
I have to side with the dealers here. You expect them to install these parts for free? If they are that easy no need to be a wise guy about it and just install it yourself. They have overhead and can't be taking up a tech's time to install hubcaps and relays for free.

What's next? Did you expect them to offer you a free loaner as well?
The hubcap took probably 5 minutes and I purchased the part at the dealership, which included a profit at the price listed on the dealer's own website, which is what I paid. The relay took all of 2 minutes, maybe less, and it was also purchased from their parts department and included a profit.

BTW, loaners are actually free at this Honda dealership when your car has extensive repairs. Thanks for posting!

Old 08-24-2017, 07:31 PM

902 posts, read 862,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Good point. Thanks for posting! I better check those lug nuts.....
Make sure you use an impact wretch to torque on the lug nuts on your hubcap. They take a while to tighten down. If I remember correctly, it's almost 2 minutes per hubcap lug nut. Make sure you loosen the wheel lug nuts first, though. Otherwise they get too tight when you're doing the hubcap lug nuts. You did get some brake line from the dealer when you were there, right? It's usually by the flight line and prop wash.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
My thought as well.

As for the differing prices, most folks don't understand how dealerships work. There are multiple profit centers and they all have their own financial goals. Service has to buy parts from the parts department. Internet sales buys at wholesale from the manufacturer and sells at it's own price. New sales has to pay to service to prep news cars and buy accessories from parts. Used car manager has to factor in how much service will charge to recondition those trade ins.
Good info. Thanks.

From edmunds.com:

"Commissions play a part in the service operation as well. Service advisors typically receive a commission on all the parts and services they sell. Again, the amount of sales pressure you'll experience varies widely."

"So where does the majority of a dealership's profit come from? It's not from car sales: at least not directly. It's from the service and parts department, which accounts for 44 percent of the dealership's gross profits, according to NADA."

https://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/w...ake-money.html

Old 08-24-2017, 07:36 PM

1,831 posts, read 3,199,216 times
As for the differing prices, most folks don't understand how dealerships work. There are multiple profit centers and they all have their own financial goals. Service has to buy parts from the parts department. Internet sales buys at wholesale from the manufacturer and sells at it's own price. New sales has to pay to service to prep news cars and buy accessories from parts. Used car manager has to factor in how much service will charge to recondition those trade ins.[/quote]

Interesting, but it is pretty much irrelevant to the consumer. The dealership can run its business however it chooses.

Old 08-24-2017, 07:39 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,265,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivertowntalk View Post
Interesting, but it is pretty much irrelevant to the consumer.
Unless, of course, the consumer is questioning why the pricing is the way it is. Which is exactly what's being discussed here.

Old 08-25-2017, 06:24 AM

16,277 posts, read 10,408,335 times
I think the OP does have a point. If the web site says one price and he was quoted another yeah that's a not right. As for the fee to spend 30 seconds putting on a hub cap it's kind of annoying to have to pay $10 for that. Any shop that cares about customer service, and dealerships rarely qualify, should just do it.

I am currently on a trip and the nut to my bike rack came loose. I found a shop where the guy took the rack off, put an impact wrench to it, then secured with a cotter pin and put it back on the hitch. When I asked if I owed him anything he said don't worry about it, the exact response I expected. I then handed him $10 and everyone was happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive