Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2017, 06:40 PM

11,904 posts, read 5,589,470 times

Advertisements

The title pretty much says it all. New battery, car not driven for months. It needed to be jumped, but the battery did not stay charged. However, the car was driven only long enough to move it. Will actually driving it around help, or does it just need a new battery?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2017, 06:57 PM

11,161 posts, read 7,967,013 times
You probably need to charge it more. It takes a little while for the alternator to charge a dead battery. Jump it again and drive it around for a while. if you're still concerned take it to Auto
Zone and they will check it for free.

Old 08-27-2017, 07:10 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,993,716 times
Time for a battery charger.

Made in USA

Rizk National Industries

Old 08-27-2017, 07:21 PM

2,158 posts, read 3,594,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
You probably need to charge it more. It takes a little while for the alternator to charge a dead battery. Jump it again and drive it around for a while. if you're still concerned take it to Auto
Zone and they will check it for free.
Which check will be worth about what you paid for it.

Don in Austin

Old 08-27-2017, 07:47 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,498,105 times
I bought a brand new battery a few years ago thinking I had a problem with the battery but it turned out to be a parasitic drain from the cars audio amplifier, which was fixed by swapping for a new one.

I put the brand new battery on a trickle charger to keep it topped up. It stayed on the trickle charger for nearly 2 years, until I had a neighbor who needed a jump. I took the 'new' battery out and tried to jump the car. It was virtually dead and would not even turn the car over. I tried to charge it on a full power battery charger and it would not take a charge. No idea what the issue was but I took the battery back to the store and got a new one as it was just inside the 2 year warranty. I have not used the new one either, but it was just the principle of the fact it died with no real use....

Old 08-27-2017, 08:28 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,846,967 times
Just sitting, a battery will discharge about 7% each month, and if there is some small drain, like a radio memory, it dies even faster. As the battery voltage drops, the plates begin to become coated and it is harder to get the battery back to full potential. Battery shops can put a high charge on them to burn off that coating but most home chargers will not do it.

If you live in a hot climate, the heat doesn't help the battery life either.

Old 08-27-2017, 08:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

Don in Austin
I took my Tahoe and they checked the battery ... they said all it needed was a charge or to drive it for a while
I followed their advice and they were right. The battery was good and once I ran it for a while the problem was solved. I don't know what you're poppin off about. That was 3 years ago and my truck still starts just fine on that same battery.

Old 08-27-2017, 10:05 PM

44,633 posts, read 61,629,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Just sitting, a battery will discharge about 7% each month, and if there is some small drain, like a radio memory, it dies even faster. As the battery voltage drops, the plates begin to become coated and it is harder to get the battery back to full potential. Battery shops can put a high charge on them to burn off that coating but most home chargers will not do it.

If you live in a hot climate, the heat doesn't help the battery life either.
^^^Agree with this info. And a lot depends on the type of battery you have too, sealed or water filled.

Old 08-27-2017, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
^^^Agree with this info. And a lot depends on the type of battery you have too, sealed or water filled.
Yes very informative, but if she's like me, she's like huh? I just want my car fixed. I don't care what makes it work... I just want it to work. Anything beyond my understanding gets shoved at my dad or brother.

Old 08-28-2017, 07:15 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,273,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post

Don in Austin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
I took my Tahoe and they checked the battery ... they said all it needed was a charge or to drive it for a while
I followed their advice and they were right. The battery was good and once I ran it for a while the problem was solved. I don't know what you're poppin off about. That was 3 years ago and my truck still starts just fine on that same battery.
It was the typical "Everything about Autozone is bad" response. Autozone has the same hand-held battery/charging system tester that your mechanic does, it will test your battery just fine.
Every once in awhile you'll get some flunky who doesn't know how to run it (which is especially lame because there are maybe three steps and they're usually printed right on the unit), when that happens just thank him for his time and head to the next place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive